chicken versus lamb

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

chicken versus lamb

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha prefers chicken. He has grown up on canned chicken (15 months old in 11 days) in addition to his kibble. A couple of weeks ago I switched to lamb. No dice------ he eats it eventually but today I got him some more chicken and he scarfed it down in a few minutes. The boy goes back on chicken unless and until he tells me otherwise.
On an entirely different topic, does your chow(s) sniff you suspiciously when you get home just to make sure you haven't been cavorting with some other dog? Loha certainly does this to me. If I have been around some other dog I assure him that it was nothing, that HE is MY puppy, MY Loha Midnight Angel! Chows are extraordinarily possessive. Before I quit going to the dog park he made it clear that he did not want me paying too much attention to any other dog(s).

Loha's Dad
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: chicken versus lamb

Post by Piff Poff »

I know what you mean by the sniffing.

Henry checks me out and then if I have been to the shops he will check the bags too - as if to give them approval to comming in the house. :roll:
Thank you Sweatpea
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Lamb does not agree with Holden's stomach so he gets chicken based dog food.

Hannah doesn't sniff me when I come home (she cares more about HERSELF getting attention) but Holden does. If I have been around my brother's or sister's dogs, then he will sniff me like crazy when I come home and follow me around until he is satisfied that he has sniffed every part of me.
ImageImageImage
chris

Post by chris »

Steel likes Chicken... thats it.

LMAO.. heck, if I come home and I HAVE been in contact with another dog or CAT for that matter, not only to I get the sniff over, I fall short of being "MARKED" as his territory... /:) :roll:
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Congratulations Jonathon! =D= You are the very first to make my "foe" list!!! I am guessing that you are on many others.

Loha's Dad
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh is a Chicken girl and Mr. N is a lamb boy...if I give Mr. N a Chicken treat, 70% chance he will sniff & turn his nose away like "c'mon!"....same with Shiloh, she snubs the lamb treat - she will take it in her mouth and throw it down in disgust....

Both will sniff us up & down if we have dared to go somewhere new.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL Steelo :lol: :lol: Too Funny Chris!!!
Kearra & Kyra aren't crazy about Lamb but do love their Chicken and Turkey( I usually buy them turkey)....Lily the Boxer however gets nasty gas from Chicken so I don't buy it anymore because she will run you out of a room if she eats even one piece of it....only chicken, Good Thing we finally figured that one out!!! It took a while :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe will eat either one prefers Chicken but eats Lamb most of the time... personally I can't see how any one can like lamb human or Chow thats some nasty tasting stuff.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Wow - mine eat lamb and I am thinking that chicken is probably more naturally something that they would eat.

Mine do love real chicken, but what really good kibble has chicken?
Mia
Princess
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Princess »

Gab doesn't like chicken, lamb, turkey, beef or bison... we like fish.....
We aren't too picky over treats though.. Milkbones all the way LOL...

Yes and the sniffing... she will sniff anytime I get home from anywhere and any new visitor gets a thourough sniff down :shock:
ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

my two dont eat either. but i guess i would have to say that luna would prefer lamb cause thats what she got as a chowling.
weird about the sniffing. im a dog magnet. anywhere i go im always petting someones dog. my two know immediatley. i get the full "sniffdown" when i get home.
my dad sent me a package in the mail. when i got it yeasterday,luna and mr bigz sniffed it like it was a tbone.lol. they must have smelled their cousin charlie the shihtzu. it was so funny they were rolling on it.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image