dogs in my bed 6 sorry about the others no 5.5.5.

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

dogs in my bed 6 sorry about the others no 5.5.5.

Post by carolyn dewrance »

COINCIDENT''S
13 Years ago when I rushed my lovely Anlia's Dr Halley to the emergency Vet in Johannesburg with severe Gastric Torsion, where he was attended to by a team of Vet's and medical staff whom did every thing in their power to save his life, but sadly failed, I never had the chance to say thank you to the Lady Vet, not knowing her name. The other night when I was going through some of my old records, I came across the bill I had received from her, and looking at the signature, I suddenly realized that she was the same Vet I was going to here in Waterfall, Her name is Wendy Neadly, To day 13 years later I took up the bill to show her, and a lovely big chocolate cake, to thank her for what she had done for me that day so many years ago, and for what she has done for me in the last year I have been with her. She was so surprised, and pleased to see that I had found her even though it was by pure chance. I also thanked her for inadvertently being my teacher in the saving of the lives of 5 of my other chows over the past 13 years, because by watching what she did so many years ago to try and save Halley's life, I managed to reduce Gastric Torsion in some of my other Chows. This is a tribute to you Wendy, and all I can ever say is THANK YOU.

2 Days ago I received an email from a member of the Chow Chow club of Gauteng, who was looking for a Male puppy to replace the male they had lost recently, I thought I might have sold them a puppy if not the one that they lost, and once again looked up in my files to see if I was correct, Yes I had sold them Meltari Commanda Data and Meltari Sally, in the years 1990 and 1991. They had called him Leo, and he passed away from a kidney complaint at the age of nearly 13 years, I was so excited to be able to be in contact with them again, and yesterday I sent them one of my lovely puppies, Meltari Golden Bear, who is to be called Vulcan. He flew to Nelspruit in a small single engine 12-seater plane, which took 2 hours to get there, but he arrived safe and sound, and is loved by his new family. On a happy note Sally is still alive, and is now 12 years old. They have booked another puppy from me from my next litter.

We had a lady who came to look at the puppies, and Robin did not hide Denim away, she insisted on buying him I told her R2000.00 but she would not go higher then R1650.00 I needed the money so I had to let my little boy go, but not without restrictions, I told her that I would like to use him for stud when he got older, and that they were not allowed to transfer him onto their name. I am now left with King Solomon a dear little puppy but he has been very quite for the last two days, I do hope that there is nothing wrong with him .I will keep a watch on him and see if he is just pining for his brothers.

Solly making friends with Trisha.
If you set something free, and it really loves you it will come back, and this is what happened to Meltari Denim Gold, At the age of 4 months Denim was returned to me with a problem that their Vet said would eventually kill him and wanted to put him down there and then, I had to agree to allow them to take King Solomon instead, and so dear little Denim came home to stay, Yes he has a problem but it is not life threatening as yet, He has elbow dysplasia, the Vet says that this is a genetic problem but we have never ever and I will swear on the Koran and the Bible that non of my dogs carry this gene. I have made investigations into the Imported side of their grand parents line, and nothing has show up, I can only think that it may not be dysplasia but an injury to his arms by being picked up by a child or adult by his front legs, or his elbows, He is not in pain, but after a very busy day as puppies go he does tend to limp a little, I have put him onto Echo Bone on the advice of Dr Alex Niven of Echo Vet Products and he has this twice a day. I shall keep you updated on my special puppy.
Denim is now eight months old, and is a happy, healthy lovely puppy, he has no problems with his front legs and can run and jump as fast as any of the other Chows, he has no pain and is on a dose of Echo Bone now only once a week. I hopefully have proved the Vet wrong and that my lovely puppy will live a long and happy life.

A NOTE OF INTEREST THROUGH THE AGES, THIS PROVES THAT THE CHOW CHOW AND THE SHAR PEI ARE POSSIBLY THE FIRST TWO CANINES THAT APPEARED THROUGH EVELOUTION.

Bear dogs; foxes; peccaries; a small, archaic beaver that apparently had the habits of a ground squirrel; and the Miocene horse. During the Miocene, horse evolution occurred mainly in North America; forms such as Parahippus, Miohippus (a form carried over from the preceding Oligocene epoch), Anchitherium, Hypohippus, Pliohippus, and Merychippus are general that represent great diversification and development. The first dogs and bears appeared; the bear dog Hemicyon is close to the origin of the bears.

LETTER FROM SUSAN.

Hi, Carol
At last' I have been away from the office a good bit lately and your email sank farther and farther down the list of those I needed to respond to. Today I am trying to catch up. I have come up with a unique use for the extra copy of you book I ended up with. I learned about a purebred chow that is in a kill shelter near where I live. I have been on the phone constantly the past several days spreading the word and looking into finding him a good home. Out of fairness to my own poor doggies that don't get enough attention already, I can't bring him home as much as I want to. When I do find him a home, I will give the new owner the extra copy of your book as a bonus to getting to adopt this wonderful chow!
I'm afraid that Ming, my Shar Pei, would be killing my small animals if I had any around other than cats that have taught him to leave them alone. He is not a bad boy, just very willful and energetic and it's hard to get him off a course he's started on. For a 55 Ib. dog he is very strong! I think he will eventually work out, though. I'm sorry you have to give yours up - especially because you are the reason I got interested in adopting one - but I'm sure if he goes to Shar Pei people, he will do fine. You can't let him kill your creatures'
I can't recall what weight and measurement system you are familiar with, but the other day I saw a woman walking a HUGE Shar Pei and stopped to talk with her. He wasn't overweight like so many spoiled dogs you see, just a giant, well-proportioned dog. His mistress says he weighs 75 Ibs. - That 20 more than Ming who is said to be a typical Shar Pei. I would hate to be at the other end of a leash from that big boy. Luckily, he seemed very calm.
Our weather remains warm, but the fall season is underway - the last rainstorm brought down the first of the colorful fall leaves, and soon it will get cooler and cooler. I don't mind cold weather but dislike the time and trouble it takes to get ready to walk the dogs in the winter. In the summer, l just get out of bed, pull on some sweats, a tee shirt, and some sandals, and go!
Sorry for the long silence. All is well in Nashville, Tennessee Regards, to you and yours, Susan

PERMISSION FOR THE FOLLOWING STORIES HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME BY THE CHAIRLADY MRS. JOY BOTES, OF THE CHOW CLUB OF GAUTENG. WITH CREDITS GOING TO THE AUTHORS.

THE CHOW CHOWS AT GOLDHELDS by John C. Frederick Peddle
For more than two and a half years, I had been anxiously waiting for the time I boarded the jet and finally set foot In "the dark continent" and judge at Goldfields. Often the dream is diminished by reality; this was not the case.
Since early 1960, I have been Involved with Chows, and over the years, I have been very privileged to own the Top Chows In Canada for 10 years, as well as the Top Dog All Breeds in Canada for 1985. I have bred and/or owned the Top Chow In four countries In 1981, all descendants from one dog "Canadian and American Champion MI-Tu's Han Su Shang”... But one of the most rewarding by-products of my association with this unique, fascinating breed has been the opportunity of assessing it around the world.
Having 32 dogs entered under me at Goldfields was indeed a compliment to me and as it turned out, a most enjoyable and challenging task. I must, however confess that with the taking of slides of each of my classes, I hesitated to take notes or do critiques) on the dogs; unfortunately, with the use of a new camera, all but one photo of the Chows were lost; therefore, I am trusting my memory on the comments of the dogs, and cannot be exact as to each of the exhibits.
Two of the most Important classes to me, at any show. In any country, are the puppy class and the bred-by-exhibitor (or In this case S.A. Bred) class, for it’s these classes, which denote the future of the breed in any one area? And to me, my function as a judge is strictly to evaluate the breeding stock and potential breeding stock of any breed shown to me. The dog puppy. Topponas Nicholas, was a delightful young dog, possessing extremely handsome head properties, good tone and exceptional type.... Type being the most Important commodity that any breed can possess. The American bred puppy, "Liontamer Mai Tal of Palm was another fine example of the breed, and knowing the background of this line, should be a very fine example of the breed upon maturity. My Challenge Dog, Topponas King Kong, was an exceptionally lovely black male. Good movement, excellent head properties, lovely balance, good color and again lovely type. When matured this dog should have an excellent future.
The overall quality of the males was exceptionally high, and as such I can see the breed being in an excellent position. However. I must, at this point, when speaking of the males, get "on my soapbox and do a little preaching".
Miss C.E, Collett In her book "The Chow Chow" has an excellent summation to the book. To own a Chow is to become the custodians of a legacy that the Chinese have preserved for over 1,000 years, a legacy which we should take care not to destroy. To destroy the breed is to create exaggerations... be they in bone. In head or in coat... all, which are foreign to the, natural beauty of the do and ultimately to the animal's health. Excessive bone causes movement problems, lack of upper arm, broken pasterns, and problems with hocks..... Can the breed do its function will) a stumpy heavy leg..... Is he healthy? I think not as I feel this detracts from one of the more important descriptions of the breed "BALANCE".
Excessiveness In head can cause mal-occlusion, eye problems, and ear problems; breathing problems ... hardly aiding the functionality of the Mongolian bird dog, and again it opposes the "Balance" of the Chow,
Excessive coat is also wrong, the standard, be it in the U.K., Canada, the U.S.A. does not call for a long coat, but rather an abundant profuse coat, off standing and harsh In Texture. Nowhere does it call for a soft whippy, candyfloss coat.
Beware of expression 'Don't compromise the beauty and quality in your dogs for a fashion fad, which, I must admit stared In the U.S.A. in Texas and California where you are now getting extremely exaggerated animals living for four years at the most.
The overall bitch quality exhibited to me was not as good as the male quality, however my Best Bitch and Best of Breed was a truly lovely lady She was the essence of femininity, being of a truly regal bearing...,. Aloof, dignified. Scowling ... . This bitch was type. Ch. Topponas Duchess of Kaiayetu was a worthy champion and could attain this title in any country in which I have judged the breed (Norway, Canada, U.S.A. and Brazil) She had excellent hone. Beautifully small ears, good eye, nicely shaped and rounded ribs good tall set and lovely head properties. HER movement could be stronger, however her type outweighed any negative factors I may have had about her. Personally feel that the dogs in your country are of a much higher quality than I expected to find, and that with true dedication it can continue to proceed in a most positive way. The other plus factor that the breed lies, to me, in the sportsmanship of the devotees. If what was exhibited to me is an example, both by novices and by experienced breeders. And If the newcomer learns from the established breeders, the Chow will be a most dominant force) In the Utility Group In South Africa.
This article would not be complete however. If a public acknowledgement were not made to all of you Chowists who made my time In your country a most memorable and enjoyable experience, and to the Chow Chow Club of the Transvaal for the lovely plaque which Mr. Naude presented to me on me Sunday following Goldfields, and to Canny and Letty all of their hospitality and assistance during my stay with you.

ECZEMA
By Valerie Evenden

Little people and little chows.
So many animals have eczema that it is worthwhile to write about it again. It is amazing that in view of the fact of the high incidence of this wretched, skin complaint so few people know anything about how to cure it, and very few dog owners know much anyway about caring for an animal and certainly, when confronted with an illness or if something goes wrong they are at a loss to know what to do before going on to treatment of this disease, I give an illustration of a pathetic case of neglect. A Scottish terrier was brought to me in a most dreadful condition. His owners wanted to dispose of him but they realized no one would have him as he was. Bald patches on his back and tail, under his chin was red and raw with great sores, on each shoulder there were red, angry-looking places. His eyes were running and had no hair around them he looked the picture of dejection with due ~ cause, 'what to do? Would they follow my advice if I gave it? 1 had to try. I made them up a Rosemary infusion to saturate his body three times a day. Kelp pills to cleanse the system and told them they must revise their ideas of his feeding. Needless to say he had had no fresh food, no vegetables, no green stuff (herbs), no grooming, no walks. How is it possible for anyone to keep a dog and not know the essentials? It is all too easy for an owner to go to the Vet for an injection of cortisone when confronted with eczema and this will, if resorted to too often, without doubt shorten the animal's life A dog with eczema is a miserable creature and the owner of such a doc must take steps at once to bring back good health to his pet by treat internally and externally* The whole feeding program must be
Looked into. And fresh, uncooked foods given. Meat, chicken with two tablespoons finely chopped parsley, grated carrot, bran or whole-wheat bread cubes. Supplements of garlic capsules and kelp tablets cleanse the system and restore internal order. Rosemary infusion can be used externally to bathe the sore places. Unless one has tried this wonder herb one cannot believe the soothing effect it has or the healing that takes place if used regularly. Eyes can be gently bathed with the infusion as well and a little dropped into the eye. Three times a day is the minimum for this treatment but more often if possible to alleviate the irritation. When the skin is healed and the hair grown again a good daily grooming with a brush must become a habit. It stimulates circulation and removes dead hair which is often a cause of skin trouble, Above all love the animal - talk to it, let it enter into the life of the family - or else, why did you have it?
(A reminder of how to make Rosemary infusion. 1 Liter of water in a saucer-and with a good handful of fresh herb, with flowering tips if possible, or two tablespoons of dried herb, bring Just to boil, remove from heat and place on one side with the lid on to steep for four hours. There after bottle and Keep in fridge.)

COMPLETE UTRINE INTERNIA (C.A. Dewrance) Lady was a dog over due, 64 days from her first mating, therefore not really in any danger* But even though her temperature was low, she would not start labor. I first noticed a green discharge from her vulva at 8.30 in the morning. I immediately phoned my vet, who said not to worry as she should soon start labor and deliver her puppies. But by 12 midday the discharge was very heavy and I could here the sounds of puppies crying coming from her belly. I again phoned my Vet but he was out to lunch and would only be at the Berea surgery at 4.30 in the afternoon. I now knew something was very wrong and that even though Lady was fully dilated something was holding up the birth of her first puppy. At 3 O'clock after trying unsuccessfully to get a taxi to take us op to the Vet My son and I decided that we had to have help and took a very slow walk with Lady from Joubert Park to the surgery in Berea, usually a 20 minute walk it took us over an hour to get her there. We begged Taxis on the way to take us but were refused by all.
On arrival at the surgery the Vet was surprised to see us there and after a quick examination it was decided to do a caesarian operation on Lady to deliver her puppies. The Vet to his main clinic then transported her.
Lady was operated on at 8 in the evening and it was found that the puppy in the birth canal was already dead but the others were alive. There were eight puppies in all. I was told that all the puppies died one after the other, as they were too weak to survive. Only one, a little bitch lived for 3 days but would not suck, so was tube fed every 2 hours. But she was also too weak to survive and eventually died as well. The Vet said that all the puppies were covered in the green discharge in her uterus. I therefore lost all my puppies and almost their mother as well. Lady has had 5 litters with no complications before, all been born with no problems. So way did this happen to her this time?
Many bitches may have problems during birth, this may be due to a badly placed puppy, breech, or other difficult birth position, but for a healthy bitch that has never had a problem, this is very unusual.
I would like to know from any of the Club's members who may have had this problem with the Chow bitches, and if they have an answer to the problem or how to possibly prevent it.
The loss of a litter of Chows is a big blow, and is also very heart breaking to her as well as her owner. I tried to find some foster puppies for her to feed but not even the S.P.C.A. or Animal Anti Cruelty League could help.
Lady will never have any more puppies but now thanks to John Cawood and his wife, I have got one of Lady's G.G.Grand. Daughters, a lovely little black bitch out of Meltari Miss Zascha and Kaiayetu Impi. I am very proud to have her to carry on the Meltari line, and hope she will be as good a brood bitch as her granny was. Pandee is her name.
Thank you all for your sympathy on my terrible loss, and for your kindness. C.A. Dewrance (MELTARI KENNELS)
I am certain a lot of our members have experienced similar incidents during their Chow breeding years and know exactly what Carol must have gone through even more so without her own transport. Both Carol and her son Robin deserve medallions for still trying to breed without their own transport.

CHERYL ANN HURLEY AND CHAMPION MELTARI AYLA GOLD OF LIONHEART

FACTS & MY PERSONAL VIEWS ON HIP DYSPLASIA by Cheryl-Ann Hurley of Lionheart Chow Chows
A lot has been spoken on this subject over the years, but how deeply and carefully have we here in South Africa gone into the real issue?
It seems we are faced with a very real problem and I feel it is time we stood together and did something about it. We hear almost daily of another Chow having to be put down for Hip Dysphasia and no matter how we may try to cover up, this problem is going to raise its "ugly" head.
I believe we can learn from the Chow Breeders in The States who realized they had a severe problem with H.D. and decided unanimously after a number of year’s speculation and fighting, to establish a system of O.F.A. Certification. The Dysplasia Control Registry of the OFA was formed with the primary objective of providing individual dog owners with a standardized evaluation of the hip joint status. Consumers started becoming aware that purchasing a puppy from a breeder using only normal breeding stock, while not guaranteeing a normal dog, does increase the probability of obtaining a dog with normal hips. Thus, economic advantages of being a responsible breeder became obvious.
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441