CC tried to bite my son

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

CC tried to bite my son

Post by bevgo »

We had to evac for Gustave last week and went to my moms home inland. CC had to spend 5 hours in the back of the SUV and when we arrived we were surrounded by a bunch of strangers. My adult son was one of the strangers. When my son tried to hug me she snapped at him. Poor baby I am sure she was just really scared and stressed as were we. I told my son to just ignore her and she would warm up to him. After a little while when things had calmed down a bit she went to him like he was her best friend. I hope I am right in believing it was just the stress of a new place and a lot of strangers after a very long car ride that caused this. She has never snapped at anyone else other than the vet when they were trying to start her IV for her spay. Anyway she was VERY good at my mom's home. No barking and NO acccidents on her floor. I was really proud of her and when all the people returned to MS with me cause they could not go back to New Orleans she behaved here at home. She did NOT like the bassett hound they brought with them though--LOL.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: CC tried to bite my son

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I am sure it was a combination of the car ride, stress, and new people.
ImageImageImage
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

This was definetly a situation where she was over stressed and as a result was being overly protective. She didn't know your son, only knew that some strange adult human male was "grobing" HER momma. While she was with you on the trip; she was still anxious and that will make her more protective. Chows are like three year olds they need a little quiet time after a trip or other distruption of their normal life or in the case of too much company and too much stimulation.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm sure that it was stress etc. However, if CC has bite inhibition (which it sure sounds like she does) she was air snapping to warn your son, not trying to bute. Most dogs either bite or warn, they are 5 times faster than us, no way do they miss!
Thank you Elodie!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I wanted to do that to a couple of my family members while running from Gustav too LOL!!! I'm sure she was just stressed and didn't know your son yet. Probably everyone was overstimulated and she picked up on it

Thanks Sweetpea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Layla wrote:I'm sure that it was stress etc. However, if CC has bite inhibition (which it sure sounds like she does) she was air snapping to warn your son, not trying to bute. Most dogs either bite or warn, they are 5 times faster than us, no way do they miss!
Very true. They don't miss and they are faster than us, also their mouths/teeth are equal in importance to them as our hands are to us, we normally have a good idea where our hands are, and they have the same with their mouths.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

Thanks all. You are right. If she had wanted to bite she would have gotten him--LOL. At least she was able to settle down and was OK after a hour of quiet time. I do believe it was just a warning. As for bite inhibition--she still nips some when playing but is gradualy improving as I continue to work with her on this. She was able finally to spend time in the room loose while my 5 y/o GS was here the other day and they played without problem. They were OF COURSE actively supervised at all times.