Wolfie bit me and I still can't believe it

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Wolfie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wolfie bit me and I still can't believe it

Post by Wolfie »

I had never been bitten by any dog my entire life, until last month. Wolfie and Zoe were doing their usual "lets grab each others neck and pull out as much fur as possible", when Wolfie won (I guess). He was choking up a big wet strand of Zoe's hair that was dangling from his mouth. Thought I would do him a favor and pull it out for him. Won't be doing him anymore favors -- as soon as I grabbed hold of it, he actually bit my thumb. I swear that I thought it was broken -- it was that painful. Never broke the skin (just left a tooth indentation) Next time he is all on his own. I still can't believe he bit me!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wolfie bit me and I still can't believe it

Post by Dogdad »

I am sorry Wolfie did this, in a way you should count yourself lucky. Chows have incredibly strong mouths, when they are excited it is never a good idea to put your hand anywhere near their mouth. I found that out the hard way too. :lol:
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I'm sure if you looked at the whole picture it would be classified under Human error.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

After they were separated, you made the mistake to assume they were all back to normal. I am sure he was still worked up, and when he grabbed your finger, he was still pumping adrenalin. It's good you didn't have a skin break, you avoided infection.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Wolfie wrote:I had never been bitten by any dog my entire life, until last month. Wolfie and Zoe were doing their usual "lets grab each others neck and pull out as much fur as possible", when Wolfie won (I guess). He was choking up a big wet strand of Zoe's hair that was dangling from his mouth. Thought I would do him a favor and pull it out for him. Won't be doing him anymore favors -- as soon as I grabbed hold of it, he actually bit my thumb. I swear that I thought it was broken -- it was that painful. Never broke the skin (just left a tooth indentation) Next time he is all on his own. I still can't believe he bit me!
He bit you for the same reason he is peeing on the furniture. Do a search on here for alpha male, and also search the internet, you will probably find better info in general on the net though. It will only get worse if you don't correct him now.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Guess it's just me but I don't just excuse biting as simply human error unless perhaps the dog was in severe pain or in the midst of a fight.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Alpha or Anxiety issues?

Pekoe and I have had an Alpha who's in charge thing going on for 11 years, bite me yes, my fault yes, but she would never pee on furniture or in the house no matter who is in Charge, even peeing in the yard is a hard one for her, she waits for the sprinklers to come on so they will wash the pee away.

The bite came from the situation at that moment the rest is a differant issue.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff&Peks wrote:Alpha or Anxiety issues?

Pekoe and I have had an Alpha who's in charge thing going on for 11 years, bite me yes, my fault yes, but she would never pee on furniture or in the house no matter who is in Charge, even peeing in the yard is a hard one for her, she waits for the sprinklers to come on so they will wash the pee away.

The bite came from the situation at that moment the rest is a differant issue.
I think you are very wrong Jeff, in a pack order, the Alpha would never get bitten by a lower dog in the pack, regardless of the situation. Taking the fur was just like taking food, it was the dogs prize, he bit because he felt like the owner was lower than him and needed repremanding. He is peeing on the furniture because he is marking his territory and displaying his dominance in the pack.
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Anyone dumb enough to believe any of that Alpha crap not to mention listening to you deserves to get bit and thier Chow peeing all over the house. Alpha training? you mean the Hitler diaries.

They have already proven the so called Alpha pack order is an old wives tale, the pack order with wolves depends on the situation, Just like humans the females will take over the alpha (head) roll depending on the situation. Stick with breeding your to far out of touch to know what else is going on.

ImageImage
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

You really know what you are talking about Jeff, that is why your dog bites you and mine don't bite me. :roll: I can do anything I want to any of my dogs and they do not bite me, I can take food out of their mouths, take toys away from them, take road kill away from them, doesn't matter, because they know who the alpha is and wouldn't dare cross the line. I have two males running in my home together and they do not run around in the house marking territory, that is because I am alpha, and each has his place in the pack and knows his place, so there is no need for marking territory. Jeff, you really have no business giving anyone advice about dogs, because you don't even understand the basic principles of dogs and how a dog thinks.
Sam

momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

Why is it that you two can't get along? Well I think you are both right. I also think that some of it is medical. If the dog has the dog version of old timers then the marking his territory, ect. could be because he just plan forgot who the alpha male was. Now the taking of the fur yes jeff i think that was human error. It was probable to soon after playing or since he was kinda gaging on it he could have gotten frightend and was trying to protect himself. either way stop fighting. we are all just human and none of us can please everyone all of the time. and if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
Baby Bear we miss you!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

momtobear wrote:Why is it that you two can't get along? Well I think you are both right. I also think that some of it is medical. If the dog has the dog version of old timers then the marking his territory, ect. could be because he just plan forgot who the alpha male was. Now the taking of the fur yes jeff i think that was human error. It was probable to soon after playing or since he was kinda gaging on it he could have gotten frightend and was trying to protect himself. either way stop fighting. we are all just human and none of us can please everyone all of the time. and if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.
The biggest reason we can't get along is because Jeff wants to turn every single topic into a breeder bash fest. Another reason we don't get along is because Jeff gives alot of bad advice, he dismisses things that happen as the owner did something wrong. Owners do make mistakes, but what happens more often than not is that owners do not know how to deal with their dogs to start with and create problems, and there are dogs with temperament problems due to poor breeding practices.
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote:You really know what you are talking about Jeff, that is why your dog bites you and mine don't bite me. :roll: I can do anything I want to any of my dogs and they do not bite me, I can take food out of their mouths, take toys away from them, take road kill away from them, doesn't matter, because they know who the alpha is and wouldn't dare cross the line. I have two males running in my home together and they do not run around in the house marking territory, that is because I am alpha, and each has his place in the pack and knows his place, so there is no need for marking territory. Jeff, you really have no business giving anyone advice about dogs, because you don't even understand the basic principles of dogs and how a dog thinks.
Isn't that spelled Dawg in your neck of the woods

Pekoe has spent her youth going in home's and yards of Crack heads, drug dealers and gang members and spent alot of time walking nights in ghetto area's in Oakland, SF and LA I would expect and want her to have some street savvy and be able to protect herself. Pekoe hasn't been locked away in a barn pumping out puppies or used as a living room decoration like your chows. I can take anything I want out of Pekoe's mouth also but big deal, I love the way people think they have a well trained Chow because the world revolves around taking food away from them and stepping on them while they are sleeping, gee thats a major accomplishment.

If people want to take advice from a barn breeder more power to them thats why the dumpsters at the shelters and the Chows needing a home section are filled with Chows because of fools like you and your Alpha garbage and the reason why everyone thinks Chows are untrainable and mean.

Pekoe bit me because I stuck my leg in the way of her being attacked by a GSD, I was protecting the GSD from getting killed so I got bite in the fight frenzy plus she has nipped me a few times trying to put a muzzle on her, apparently she doesn't like muzzle's no big deal, my fault on all the bites.

ImageImage
momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

I don't know anything about breeding I will be honest about that. But I want to say something, This forum Is for people to come to to ask queastions, Right? what they need is advice from as many people as posible so they can pick and choose what they should do about a problem. We all have different experiences and different methods on how we handle our dogs. Just because we don't allways agree with a certain method or oppion dosn't mean we should bash people on the public forum. Bashing each other doesn't solve anything.It makes the forum very uncomfortable. So instead of bashing each other lets try to give wolfie an Idea of why this might be happening so he can take care of the problem.

(Not trying to pick on any one person. I think we should all have openminds when it comes to the creatures that we care most about)
Baby Bear we miss you!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

MomtoBear...since you are fairly new around here I'll just go ahead and tell you what no one told me when I joined. Jeff and Red Dragon have these weekly knock down drag-outs on every topic from breeding to food choices. You'll find yourself agreeing with one or the other of them sometimes and other times thinking one or the other is completely off their rocker. Sometimes they are funny. Most times you'll just want to knock their heads together and tell them to get along. :lol: There is no stopping the family squabbling though til a mod locks the thread and they start again on another one. #-o Actually I think this should be a sticky just to warn all of the new people. :lol: \:D/ :lol:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

momtobear wrote:I don't know anything about breeding I will be honest about that. But I want to say something, This forum Is for people to come to to ask queastions, Right? what they need is advice from as many people as posible so they can pick and choose what they should do about a problem. We all have different experiences and different methods on how we handle our dogs. Just because we don't allways agree with a certain method or oppion dosn't mean we should bash people on the public forum. Bashing each other doesn't solve anything.It makes the forum very uncomfortable. So instead of bashing each other lets try to give wolfie an Idea of why this might be happening so he can take care of the problem.

(Not trying to pick on any one person. I think we should all have openminds when it comes to the creatures that we care most about)
If you will go back and start at the top, you will see I gave them an option, then you will see that Jeff started his crap again. You can also go in the health section and see it there, you can go in the community section and see it there as well. Jeff has a serious mental problem, he wants to blame breeders for all his problems. Some breeders are a problem, some aren't. There are a few of us that are working really hard to make a difference. Jeff has nothing better to do than attack me because I breed, wouldn't matter if I had the worst dogs in the world, or the best dogs in the world, he just wants to attack all breeders. He thinks he can save all the dogs in the shelters, but he can't, and he thinks if he can stop all breeders from breeding he can save all the dogs, but he can't. He is frustrated because he can't save all the dogs, so he attacks the breeders, which only starts fights. So tell Jeff to stop turning every topic into his personal "save the rescues" topic, then we won't have as many fights.
Sam

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Laura wrote:MomtoBear...since you are fairly new around here I'll just go ahead and tell you what no one told me when I joined. Jeff and Red Dragon have these weekly knock down drag-outs on every topic from breeding to food choices. You'll find yourself agreeing with one or the other of them sometimes and other times thinking one or the other is completely off their rocker. Sometimes they are funny. Most times you'll just want to knock their heads together and tell them to get along. :lol: There is no stopping the family squabbling though til a mod locks the thread and they start again on another one. #-o Actually I think this should be a sticky just to warn all of the new people. :lol: \:D/ :lol:
That was a pretty good assessment of what happens around here. Good luck getting a sticky with anything, they won't even do that with something important, much less family fued. :lol:
Sam

momtobear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by momtobear »

Oh I know.... I know that I am a reletively new member but I have been a lurker for months. :oops: I have read threads were they go on and on and on. Usually jonathan pops up too. :? I just felt the need to step in when the new argument was relitvely new to say "hey You guys are not helping. Stop it!" =;
Baby Bear we miss you!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Jeff&Peks wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:You really know what you are talking about Jeff, that is why your dog bites you and mine don't bite me. :roll: I can do anything I want to any of my dogs and they do not bite me, I can take food out of their mouths, take toys away from them, take road kill away from them, doesn't matter, because they know who the alpha is and wouldn't dare cross the line. I have two males running in my home together and they do not run around in the house marking territory, that is because I am alpha, and each has his place in the pack and knows his place, so there is no need for marking territory. Jeff, you really have no business giving anyone advice about dogs, because you don't even understand the basic principles of dogs and how a dog thinks.
Isn't that spelled Dawg in your neck of the woods

Pekoe has spent her youth going in home's and yards of Crack heads, drug dealers and gang members and spent alot of time walking nights in ghetto area's in Oakland, SF and LA I would expect and want her to have some street savvy and be able to protect herself. Pekoe hasn't been locked away in a barn pumping out puppies or used as a living room decoration like your chows. I can take anything I want out of Pekoe's mouth also but big deal, I love the way people think they have a well trained Chow because the world revolves around taking food away from them and stepping on them while they are sleeping, gee thats a major accomplishment.

If people want to take advice from a barn breeder more power to them thats why the dumpsters at the shelters and the Chows needing a home section are filled with Chows because of fools like you and your Alpha garbage and the reason why everyone thinks Chows are untrainable and mean.

Pekoe bit me because I stuck my leg in the way of her being attacked by a GSD, I was protecting the GSD from getting killed so I got bite in the fight frenzy plus she has nipped me a few times trying to put a muzzle on her, apparently she doesn't like muzzle's no big deal, my fault on all the bites.
Yep, they are called "Dawgs" around here. My barnyard dogs are pretty darn healthy, my ten year old trotted around all day Sunday in 92 degree heat, the four pups tagged along. They covered most of the 36 acres several times. We don't have any crack dealers though, but I am sure Buddy could hold his own if one staggered on the property! \:D/
Sam

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL!!!! Just want to let you guys know reading this post made me feel like I was back at home :lol: :lol:
Sorry to hear Wolfie bit you & I know it has to hurt like hell....glad it wasn't a bad bite though....

Thanks Sweetpea!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Hey, where are you at? Hope your home is fine, didn't look that bad from what I saw on the news?
Sam

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Red Dragon wrote: Yep, they are called "Dawgs" around here. My barnyard dogs are pretty darn healthy, my ten year old trotted around all day Sunday in 92 degree heat, the four pups tagged along. They covered most of the 36 acres several times. We don't have any crack dealers though, but I am sure Buddy could hold his own if one staggered on the property! \:D/

Thats great, my 13 year old Chow trotted around in 100 degree weather this past week, aren't we special.

Welcome back vicster605 And yeah, How is your house did it make it through?

ImageImage
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hot Springs Arkansas, Sam. From what we hear our house made it without flooding =D= =D=

Thanks Sweetpea!
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

That's good news! Hope the cement pond is OK too! :lol:
Sam

vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I hate to intrude on the discussion but come and help me out on the vicster thread...if you can??

Thanks Sweetpea!