The Mia Cronicles

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

The Mia Cronicles

Post by duallypilot »

Day 2 and Mia is settling down after spending the night outside. She's at least allowing us close to her (Just don"t touch me) which is better then last night.
"Here I go down the road again.. turn the page"
Auddymay

Re: The Mia Cronicles

Post by Auddymay »

A tasty treat, and lots of it! The bad part is past (the trip). As soon as she feels she has her feet on terra firma for good, things should be fine. Frustrating, when they act all Chow and don't want to be fast friends, eh?
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

Pics of Mia hanging out in the back yard this afternoon.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Mia is a beauty! I can't wait for her to warm up to you so you can share with us all of the funny stories of daily chow life! :D

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Well...she looks happy...probably a couple more days and she'll be following you all over the place. She looks like a big girl. How much does she weigh?
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

She is a pretty girl. Hopefully it won't be much longer before she realizes this is her new place. Once she does it will feel like she has always been with you.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

All of this must be a big change for Mia. I'm sure she will settle in and become your best friend. It will probably take a lot of patience, but you'll be rewarded for it tenfold! Good luck and thanks for the great pictures!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Mia has that look of not sure what's going on here but this place may be all right. This is a whole new world to her coming out of a Garage this has got to be like her first trip to Disneyland.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

she looks like she'll be warming up to you real soon.very nice pictures,thank you :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

I love to read about Mia...I have thought of her since I first read about her needing a home. She looks like she is smiling in the photos. What a wonderful, kind thing you have done by offering Mia a loving forever home. I will continue reading your post about her...Please keep posting. =D=
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Your Mia is just beautiful.

Maybe one day your Mia will meet my Mia. (My Mia is the black one in my avatar.)

My Mia is standoffish and aloof too.

Although I got her at 8 weeks, and she had no previous bad experiences that I can tell, she was not really socialized at all. She also has the fear of people thing that we have working on from day one.

The aloofness is in here genes - but i am trying to hug it out of her. LOL!

Once she warms up to you though - she will be yours forever.
Mia
gabbyjetta

Post by gabbyjetta »

Hi there, just checking on my neice. I am Jennifer's sister. Missing Mia very much, would like to know how she is doing so far.
Elizabeth
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Mia is a beautiful girl, and she does look happy to be on solid ground again! I think she's just trying to get her bearings and figure out what is going on now. Once she does, she'll start warming up ... in her own chowish time, of course!

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

She is just beautiful. Quite the profile -- very aristocratic, but so cute from the front.
courtsey of Sweetpea
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

How are you and Mia doing?
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

This evening at 7:30, Mia will have been with us now for a week. She is settling in slowly, but this has been a hard non-typical week around our house. With being off on Monday and then I had to travel for work on Thursday and Friday. But it was nice to see her wagging her tail at me when I got home Friday night.
She has learned quickly which door gets her into the back yard (we have to go through our garage to access the back yard) and has learned that she must sit down and wait before we'll open the door. I've got her to "shake" a couple of times (more like she's giving me '5' - If I try and shake her paw, I get shown the teeth and growled at.) She is taking her moods as to when she wants to be socialble but has come a long way from the "mean dog" that Continental brought up in the elevator. It's been difficult on my end, I've always been a dog person and have never really had a dog that doesn't warm up to me almost imediataly. So this has been an pain stakenly slow process for me as well.
She loves to lay in front of our front door and watch the neighborhood. When we moved into this house the full view screen door was all ready there and Micky absoultely enjoyed laying there. He was inside, but could keep tabs on everything. Mia is finding the same treasure.
Mia hasn't been eating very much, but doesn't appear to be in any stress over it. She has stated taking milk bones from us but doesn't seem to wolf them down, so I'm guessing she's all right.
We'll see what this week brings as it is more "normal" (if that's possible around this house). We'll keep working on letting her know that this is now home and she's stuck with us. LOL
Jerrald
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thanks for the update :D I know that must be hard for you and Mia to get to know each other.it sounds like over all things are coming along with her.
she couldn't have found a better home to land in :wink:
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Thanks for the update. Mia sounds like Ping when I adopted her...she broke my heart when she didn't want to come to me. I literally had to chase her down in order to get her into the bedroom at night. Bear would watch us and think it was a game. He was lovable and sweet from day one, Ping...not so much. She's a love bug now, though, so I guess it just takes time. It's funny how they have such different personalities.
Last edited by fillyok on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds like progress to me when she wagged her tail at you. I would be a little frustrated with her aloofness, too. They are so beautiful and soft, you just want to be able to pet and hug them whenever you want! I think, though, that with perseverance, you will see a big difference as time goes by. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
jenbarone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jenbarone »

Hi Jerrald, I just wanted to drop a quick note to see how you and Mia are getting along? Hopefully she's starting to come around. Also I wanted to double check to see if you got the FedEx that I sent out with her information.

I hope that things are going well and please keep me updated!

Jennifer
duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

Jennifer:
Mia is doing good, she's warming up to us at her pace. She's also learning the routines of the house and creating some of her own, typical Chow.
We got the package with her paper work in it, thanks.
In a couple of weeks, we'll see how she likes to ride in the truck, we're going out of town for the weekend and will be taking the travel trailer with us. It will be interesting to see what she thinks of her "remote" house.
Mia got her first taste of a Midwestern thunderstorm Friday night, complete with tornados and all. Nothing close to the house, but the full siren and me listening to the scanner treatment.
Hope all is well in Florida.

Jerrald, Stacy and Mia

duallypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duallypilot »

Mia's "remote" dog house.....
This Stacy and I's 5th wheel that we take out in the summer and sometimes in the fall.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Nice dog house there. Mia looks good. She is a pretty girl.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Abbiegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abbiegirl »

Yes...Mia does look good....I bet she's gonna love it when it snows....
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'll bet Mia will love traveling with you guys. She looks lovely, as usual.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand