General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CocoClan
Rank 0
Rank 0

CocoClan Has Arrived

Post by CocoClan »

Greetings All!

We are new to the neighborhood. We have become the happy and concerned owners of a 7 week old black chow named Coco that was received from friends of friends. She is from a second litter and we think from somewhat of a puppy mill. We are waiting to vaccinate for a few weeks and trying to introduce dry food. We are having diaherrea issues and a lot of water drinking.

We have an in home daycare in our basement and there is a lot of socialization. We also have a 7 year old male Yorkie (Max) that has been alone for about 1 1/2 years since the death of our 17 year old Shitz-Zu (Ripley). Our 10 year old daughter is so in love with Coco and misses her while at school. We are hoping to include her whenever possible in all training but most of this will be up to me - a new puppy with daycare kids will be a challenge for me, but we believe our home will be better than where she was.

I haven't had time to read everything but am soaking everything in like a sponge. We appreciate any well wishes and start up advice if anyone has the time to respond. We will continue to read the site and different topics so as to better educate ourselves to ensure that Coco grows to love her new home.

Thanks everyone~

CocoClan (Kathy)
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: CocoClan Has Arrived

Post by MickChick »

Welcome, Kathy and Coco! I don't have any specific advice to give, but you've come to the right place, that's for sure. There are some very knowledgeable people on here. Post pictures! We LOVE pictures!!

Cecelia and Brandy
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Welcome! :D
I've got a Coco too, she's 11 months old now... She has been really easy to live with, I wish you the same for those first weeks together.
I can't wait to see pictures of your black Coco! :wink:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Hello Kathy and Coco and welcome, I have 4 chows and pick up our new black chow pup on the 20th September. Chows do drink a lot of water. If you ever need to find out anything about your chow then you have come to the right place.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Welcome to the site Kathy & Coco :D Chow puppies do love their water and playin' in the water bowls too, so don't be surprised if she sticks both front paws in :lol: Is Coco your first Chow??? I have two, a Black girl named Kearra and a Blue girl named Kyra. I would read about grooming, diet, and training in the other sections as you will find some very helpful info there. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :wink:
And yes we LOVE pics around here :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Welcome Kathy and baby Coco :D
if you have questions just ask since we are all chow experts here :wink: when you have time just browse thru the site and I'm sure you'll learn a lot.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome Kathy and Coco!
We have a black chowgirl named Molly who we got from a rescue. I'd love to see pictures of your little girl since I never got to see Molly as a puppy! There are a lot of people here who have lots of experience with chows, so you'll learn a lot. :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Hey kathy and Coco, I too am a first time chow owner and am loving every minute of my fuzzybut! Welcome to the site.
Thank you Sweatpea
CocoClan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CocoClan »

CocoClan here~

We've been sleeping in the bathroom with and without a crate to see how things go. So far so good. Did some leash training today and Coco went around two blocks without a problem. She likes to hide from the daycare kids under the deck in the back yard and she's still adjusting to a food change. It's just like having a baby all over again!

Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming. Will be taking pics and hopefully posting soon!

Kathy
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

Welcome!!! You couldn't have a better breed of dog or a more beautiful color IMO. You've also found the best place for chow advice. I never did a puppy, but it sounds like you're doing everything right.
courtsey of Sweetpea
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

You should start Coco's vaccines sooner rather than later, and the vet needs to do a once-over wellness check anyway. Undoubtedly, she will need to be wormed, even the best puppies have them, it is hard to avoid. Photos, and lots of them, please...oh- and before you ask next week, check out the post for bite inhibition in the Training section.
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Welcome Kathy and Coco!

Congratulations on your first Chow! Once you have a Chow your life will be changed forever!!!!! (in a great way :lol: ) I'm a first Chow owner too..or shall I say "first time being owned by a Chow" :lol: and I love this breed - very very different from all other dog breeds! Enjoy you precious baby! And we want to see lots of pictures!!!! :D
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Welcome CoCo and Kathy.

Has anyone mentioned we love pictures. :roll:

David
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

yes,we would love to see a picture of little Coco :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Welcome to the site and bless you for rescuing your Coco from a puppymill! My two are rescues but came to me as adults. It is a very long time since I've had a puppy in the house (close to 20 years, I'm afraid) but the one thing that sticks out in my mind is to pick your battles carefully. Chows are very willful and will test limits often, so be sure you will be able to be consistent when you set one. That said, you couldn't have picked a better companion. Chows are loyal family members that will delight you on a daily basis.

Oh, and just in case it hasn't sunk in, the price of advice, empathy, and admission here is the sharing of pictures of your chowling.

Cinder and Teddy say welcome to little Coco, too!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Welcome! Socialization is very important but make sure that little Coco is completely vaccinated before exposing her too much. I am thinking mostly about the chance of getting parvo. Check with your vet about that.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh