Wet neck syndrome

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

archeese
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wet neck syndrome

Post by archeese »

Hello fellow chow chow owners, i come to you for help!
my chow, Archie, is about two years old and is the sweetest little pup. He has a problem with drinking water and has this awful odor that I can't seem to get rid of!When he is groomed the smell goes away but the second he begins drinking again, his neck gets soaked and starts to smell again. I love him so much but the smell is awful and i am looking for some suggestions on how to prevent this from happening. He puts his entire neck in the water bowl everytime he takes a drink and his neck gets semlly and really dirty. If it were only the smell i would manage, but his skin is irritated and red, and it also makes him shake his head alot too. I am concerned with his comfort and health. if anyone has a suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wet neck syndrome

Post by Layla »

Try changin your water bowl to one of these http://stores.dogdayssupply.com/-strse- ... Detail.bok worked for my messy drinker. You may need to trim the hair on his neck to let the inflamed skin underneath heal.
Thank you Elodie!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

You may want to have your Vet check his neck for yeast since it has an odor and is inflammed. Yeast loves dark, warm, wet places and causes odor and irriatation. Maybe have his ears checked too since he is shaking his head. Just a couple of thoughts.......an ol' nurse can't help myself :lol: :lol:
Then get a buddybowl & keep a towel handy :wink: Oh and Welcome to the site :D

Thanks Sweetpea!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe has terminal wet neck syndrome as well but no smell or irritation. I would get the bowl like Layla suggested but I would also get a vet check like Vicki said.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

My CC always got her chin wet too. I got her a water bottle that hooks onto her crate and that solved the problem unless I give her a bowl of water like I do after her walks (it is very hot here). Of course if you are not using a crate that would not be the answer.