I miss Pooh

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chownuzzle
Rank 0
Rank 0

I miss Pooh

Post by chownuzzle »

I have been thinking about Pooh Bear a lot lately. I have never really lost anyone closed to me, only my wonderful dog. So maybe I just don't understand how to deal with it. It's been almost two years since Pooh Bear died and I have never really cried or reacted to it. It really makes my heart sink just thinking about Pooh. I miss Pooh and lately I have been having little flash backs of him. I would call it overwhelming but a part of me wants to not feel anything. So I think I am blocking most of it out. He was such a wonderful furball.
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: I miss Pooh

Post by ChowLady »

It is natural I think to have flash backs of the times you have spent with Pooh, I often have them about my Chang whom I lost back in 1982. I often think that it must be him just letting me know he is still around me in spirit. I even have the flash backs about my Catbalou and Teisha.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
chownuzzle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chownuzzle »

ChowLady wrote:It is natural I think to have flash backs of the times you have spent with Pooh, I often have them about my Chang whom I lost back in 1982. I often think that it must be him just letting me know he is still around me in spirit. I even have the flash backs about my Catbalou and Teisha.
Kathy
That's a really nice way of thinking about it. He was such a good boy but he did love running away which I did not like very much. One time I didn't even realize he had and we caught him scratching at the door to be let in.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I still think of my Bear, too, and it will be 4 years in Dec. since he's been gone. Everyone does things in their own time and can't be forced. There is no time limit on grief. It really hurts, though, and remembering them and the things they did seems to help work through the pain. If that is the way you grieve, there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing that seems to help ease the pain is time. You'll never forget Pooh Bear, and going over your memories won't hurt anything. :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Missing people and pets that were close to you but are no longer around in the physical sense is all about getting used to their absence. You don't ever "get over it". Perhaps it's worth spending some time on your own having a Pooh Day - think about Pooh - tell yourself stories about Pooh, look at pictures you might have, cry, laugh. In the end, you have to ask yourself was having Pooh in your life something you would really ever give up (in spite of the odd times he ran away)?

Personally, I have had to "let go" several wonderful animal friends, several wonder human friends, and both my of parents. Would I have traded one day good or bad without them while they were a part of my life? Absolutely not. But knowing how much it means to have quality people and animals in my life, I will continue to value the wonderful addition they make to my life and to me as a person.

It's ok to get sad and to miss them. It's a way of honouring all they have been in your life, no matter how short or long they were in it.

All the best,
Judith-Ann
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

This poem always comforts me. I hope it does the same for you.

Last Night

I stood by your bed last night; I came to have a peek.
I could see that you were crying; you found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."
I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today; your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.
I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you; I smiled and said, "It's me."
You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me to be near you every day.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over...I smile and watch you yawning
And say, "Goodnight, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

--Author Unknown
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
chownuzzle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chownuzzle »

Thank you for your responses. I have begun to think that having memories of Pooh is not so bad. Of course I miss him and a part of me feels completely sad about it. But thinking about him and the stuff he used to do makes me smile - Its bittersweet. I think that while I may have trained he taught me the most lessons even now when he is not here he still teaching me some lessons. What a wonderful dog.
chownuzzle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chownuzzle »

Thank you for your responses. I have begun to think that having memories of Pooh is not so bad. Of course I miss him and a part of me feels completely sad about it. But thinking about him and the stuff he used to do makes me smile - Its bittersweet. I think that while I may have trained he taught me the most lessons even now when he is not here he still teaching me some lessons. What a wonderful dog.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

That's a great way to look at it. Pooh will never leave you!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand