General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chrisusvi
Rank 0
Rank 0

2 chows in a pod

Post by chrisusvi »

Hello,

We have a 5 year old all black female chow and we are thinking about adopting another female dark grey chow.
The history of our chow is that she doesn't get along too well with the other dogs, that are not chows in the neighborhood that are mainly female. The 1 male she doesn't react, actually she gets quite excited.
Being that there would be 2 female chows together, would there be a potential disaster looming? What is the general behavior of 2 stranger FEMALE chows cohabitating together?

Just curious.

Thanks.

chrisusvi
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 2 chows in a pod

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Same *Censored Word* do seem to fight more. I think the exception is when you get both as puppies and they grow up together. I'd get a male.
ImageImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

A pair of same gender chows tends to be a bad idea. It can easily result in a great deal of fighting and end up with either dividing your household into two separate zones or rehoming one or the other.

I would recommend you add a male to your household.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I agree,I've always had a male and female because I'm afraid of 2 of the same *Censored Word* fighting.I've never had a problem with mine fighting :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I agree 1000%...get a male, not a female...you don't want to deal with the potential disaster.
Are you planning on getting a pup or an adult?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I agree with the others. I happen to have 2 males and 2 females (9 and 3 years old) in my home and we don't have any big problems, but I wouldn't push your luck. I think mine get along because of the big age difference. If yours is already not friendly with strange dogs, then I surely wouldn't get another female.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I lived thru the disaster they are referring to of owning 2 females....with Black & Blue(dark gray)female Chows :shock: & it is disaster I wouldn't wish on anyone....although we all survived and made it thru and have managed to find a happy home in the end....living thru it was hair raising
When 2 Chows don't get along (I'm not saying that they won't but the potential is high that they might not)it is horrible and their fights are visious & nasty
I'm talking blood and fur flying.....not a good idea!!! And some very high Vet bills to go with it.......
My advice would be to get a MALE especially since you have one that is full grown and she has a history of not getting along well with other dogs to start with
She would be more likely to get along with a MALE
Like everyone here didn't think I would say that :lol: :lol:

Thanks Sweetpea!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I have two females. Most of the time they are best friends but let me tell you, when one gets a bug up their butt its hell to pay around the house! It can certainly be done living with two of the same *Censored Word* but, you have to be stronger minded than they are. Since you already know your girl doesn't get along with other females, if you bring one in now you'd just be asking for problems.
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

When we had our first chow, Chia, her surgeons and doctors all told us that if we wanted to get another chow it would have (I repeat, HAVE) to be a male and it would have to be a puppy. So, we got Emperor Ming, Then, when Chia died, we eventually got Tempest, the little Diva. I have been wanting to get a 3rd chow for some time now (I'm the only one in the household advocating that, and that includes Ming and Tempest) and have wondered about whether to get a puppy and, if so, what *Censored Word*???
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

I had 4 females and 1 male, but now have 3 females and 1 male, when we first had Quoncha come to live in her forever home with us, Teiara, had a big disagreement with her and that was over a slice of toast. That was the only disagreement they have all had and that was many months ago now. But if you have a female I would say get a female to make it a little easier on you all. Maybe if you find a female that you like, you could try and bring her for a visit to see how your chow gets along with her in her own place.
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I have 2 females that grew up together. They fight over food and treats but usually they're ok.
Sydney
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sydney »

Chrisusvi:

I rarely comment unless I feel very passionate about a subject and this happens to be one of them.

Get a male. From what you've said about you female, there's no way another female will work in your home. Just because it works for some, IMO they're the exception not the rule. Two same *Censored Word* purebred chows in the same household is setting everyone up for possible failure and like Vicky said it not a pretty sight. I have a male and female and even if I wanted a 3 dog, which I don't because life with my male and female is fabulous.............it wouldn't be another purebred chow or strong breed.

Syd
MFOSSS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MFOSSS »

ONLY LUCK WE HAD WAS WITH AN AGE DIFFERANCE AND THE NEW ONE BEING A PUPPY . TAASHA IS 8 AND KIANNA IS 10 MONTHS , TAASHA TOLERATES HER . NOW THAT WE HAVE SULLY , THEY HAVE EACH OTHER TO KEEP BUSY , TAASHA MAINLY OBSERVES AND PLAYS ONCE IN A WHILE.
TREATS ARE DONE SEPERATELY AS WELL AS DINNER.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I really feel that if females live together without fighting it has to be the RIGHT FEMALES.....so IF you have females OTHER THAN the ones that are raised together (after puberty can still be an issue which is what happened in my case) or they happen to be siblings such as Millie & Mable raised together..... one has to have a passive personality...and you have to be the ALPHA (Boss) Your Chow has lived there alone and already doesn't care for other dogs.....another female any female other than a very passive one (and still could be a problem) they will more than likely NOT get along. Chows tend to be territorial anyway.....your females territory already
How would you know if the other female has a passive personality?? You won't....its just pure deeeee luck.....
As I said....I have lived thru 2 female Chows hating each other and I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE =;
I agree with Chrisusvi....more than one same *Censored Word* that gets along is the exception not the rule....there are some with more than 1 or even more than 2 that get along BUT they have to maintain CONTROL and the ALPHA position at all times and like I said the females have to be very passive personalities. From the way you describe you Chow she sounds like a dominant personality if the other Chow has a dominate personality your in for trouble
Laura, myself, Layla and a few others have all lived thru Chow fights and its something we all wouldn't wish on anyone. Do think long and hard about this and if you choose another female be prepared as it can get very ugly and you yourself can get hurt trying to break up a fight along with your Chow that you have already
I myself may never get over what I went thru and if I ever decide to get another Chow with a female I have already.... it will be a MALE

Thanks Sweetpea!
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

I have two females although only one is a chow baby. We did adopt Sophia, our chow girl, the day before Thanksgiving and then got Maggie, our newfoundland puppy (95 pounds worth of puppy) the day after Thanksgiving. Because we brought Maggie in at the same time as Sophia, Sophia naturally took on the mommy role. I can tell you that there comes a time (and it has come here already) that the puppy pass runs out and Sophia began to expect different behavior from the puppy. Because Maggie is three times the size of Sophia, Maggie will often lay on her, etc if she is jealous but Sophia will emerge from underneath and let the puppy know in no uncertain terms that that type of behavior is not acceptable. They do not fight but they do get into shouting matches from time to time. Sophia has taught the puppy how to be a good adult dog and the puppy has learned so much from her that she even kicks up like Sophia after they are done going potty, it is hilarious.

I would recommend bringing in another female very carefully. I am not sure how the dynamic would be with two Chow girls here that are the same size, etc. Because there is a huge size difference and the newfie's temperment is so laid back, they get along just fine. They even drink and eat out of the same bowls at the same time. When the puppy was younger, she would take Sophia's treats from her and Sophia let her, Sophia does not put up with that anymore and the puppy does not even try it. There was never any event surrounding it, it was just a natural change and part of the puppy pass running out.

Sophia still treats the big giant puppy as her baby -- she cleans her everyday, her ears, her bottom and her mouth (puppy drools) but sometimes to reach the puppy's head, Sophia has to get on the couch. She will pull puppy over to the side of the couch by her collar when she wants to groom her and big giant puppy goes -- then sits there for her daily cleaning. It is quite funny....

I could easily see how their daily shouting matches could turn ugly if they were both so inclined to do so, however.

Just my thoughts!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I have 2 males, I would never get two of the same *Censored Word* again. They get along with other breeds of males in the house but not eachother. Also if your female has a history of not getting along with other dogs, a Male may not work either. Some dogs are like that, they do better on their own. Be sure to introduce them in a neutral areal and let them really get to know eachother. Once they are home keep a close eye on them for at least a few months, sometimes aggression builds up. Also Make sure that if you do get a male there is a trial time that you can return him if it doesn't work out. It may prevent what Vicster and I are dealing with

David
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Ooops forgot about you & the boys Dogdad :oops:
That just proves my point I was trying to make....Newfie another breed and very passive :wink:
We have a female Boxer here and she is very very passive, there NEVER has been an issue between her or either of the female Chows even when she was in heat or they were before they were spayed......another breed and very very passive....has to be the right females
Either way very very carefully with a female that doesn't care for other dogs

Thanks Sweetpea!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I had two females, full sisters I year apart that both came into my house when they were puppies. The older girl Chana thought of Tasha as her pup and taught her how to behave. Then when they were 7 and 8 years old war broke out. Tasha decided to take out any frustrations on Chana. We tried to keep them separate but Chana escaped from anywhere to be with Tasha!! She even scratched and chewed her way through a solid wood door in a single day.

Chana got two serious bites, one of which abcessed and required surgery. Trying to separate them is dangerous as they don't seem to know where the other dog ends and the human begins when in the fray. I got a bite that should have been stitched but I didn't have it done because I was afraid Animal Control would take them away. Then my husband got a bite on his wrist that required 16 stitches and Animal Control came to visit (since it was our own dog, the consequences were small). It was horrible and I wouldn't want you to experience the same thing. (Eventually, we had Tasha's canine teeth root canaled and cut off. She soon stopped being the aggressor because Chana was winning every fight (without ever drawing blood, too) and the former harmony returned.

So again, please don't get another female!
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868