Yeast or skin issues

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Yeast or skin issues

Post by Missystone »

Has anyone had their dog treated for a skin condition related to yeast? The symptoms sound
like yeast, but I am not a vet, and her vet is clueless as to what it could be right now.
Her skin is yellow-flaky, her hair is thinning, and she has some hot spots near her rump.
Any advise would be appreciated.

missy
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Yeast or skin issues

Post by Red Dragon »

The first thing that needs to be done is a full thyroid panel, if that comes back good you can proceed ahead and figure out what is causing the problem.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

Thank you. I had her blood test taken yesterday. I guess its a wait and see what they say.
I was just brushing her, looks like some more hotspots popped up near her tail.
Do you know of anything I can put on her that repells fleas??
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

You could give her a bath and do a final rinse with white vinegar, mix about 10 ounces to the gallon. Try not to get it in her eyes, cause it will burn, if you do, use some eye rinse afterwards. That usually repels the fleas for awhile and it's good for her skin. After she is dry you could put some iodine on the hot spots. She will love you after all the burning and stinging, but it will help her a bunch!
Sam

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

The thryoid test came back low. The vet said she would put her on medication to bring the levels back up.
She feels much of the skin issues is realated to this.

Thank you
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

The thyroid test came back low, the vet wants to put her on medication to bring the levels back up.

THank You
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

Before you start her on meds ask which part of the results were low. A low Free T3 seems to be pretty common in this breed and doesn't appear to cause a problem with anything. A low T3 or T4 is not good. Ask them to fax or email you the lab results and post them, I would like to see what all the values are. Once you start thyroid meds with a dog they generally have to stay on them for the rest of their life.
Sam

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

my husband picked up the reports, says the T4 range is 1- 9? and she was below the 1. With a large note next to
it,
Her choelestrol is up, 369? and her kidney kreteatine was high. So I think i will cut back on the fried eggs on the weekends.
Or could it be the safflower oil she was eating drizzled on her food for a while? She hasnt had that in a few weeks. I have
her now on Healthy skin and coat oils. Think I will stop the oils for a bit.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

She really needs the oil for her skin and coat condition. I use Grizzly Salmon Oil and it works great. I haven't ever used combinations of oils, so I have no idea how they would affect the dogs. You need to cut out all table foods and junk treats, those can cause serious health problems. Just stick to the food and some biscuits, and maybe a rawhide. If the T4 is low she does have a problem, but if all they checked was T4 they can't tell much about her condition, there is a whole list of checks on a full thyroid check.
Sam

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

I will get to see the 2 pages of paperwork they gave him for the bloodwork when I get home.
I also got a copy of the allery testing that was done on her. I can see for myself how high the flea allergy is.
I knew this was not all because of a flea that she may/or may not have. I spray the yard, the house has none
and I have never seen one on her, (I look for that sort of thing first)

Where can you get the grizzly oil?

Can I just use the cod liver oil that I bought from the healthfood store? I know I cant drink it, I got it because
its supposed to make me heathly, but its WAY too fishy to swallow.

Do you think her fur will grow back after she is on the medication? Looking at her right now is sad, she has a lion
head and scraggly fur body, there is not much filler fur, you can see her skin thru the hair. A neighbor asked me
if i was trying to save money and giving her home haircuts??? I have only had her collar shaved down and a bikini job.
Never on the rest.
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

The fur should grow back, it will probably take awhile though. Is she spayed? I would use the salmon oil, it will be much better for her. I use the 32 oz. pump bottle, it's easier to use and more bang for your buck. KV Vet usually has about the best price on it, here is a link. http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_fami ... 484B665EB7
Sam