Terrible News, Onyx passed away tonight

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Terrible News, Onyx passed away tonight

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Onyx passed away tonight from Bloat, My daughter came in and said Onyx is acting weird I better look at her and sure enough all the signs of Bloat I rushed her to emergency 15 miniutes away but by the time I got there her stomach had twisted and her spleen was gone , her heart wasn't steady and her blood pressure was real low, she was whinning and screaming like hell on the way to emergency. They said a few more minutes she would have died, the Vet said she had severe internal damage and they were trying just to keep her alive and stabilize her but it was to late the vet said even if they saved her she probably wouldn't have a good life she died at 12 midnight.

I know I haven't had her that long but what makes it tough is she was so damn happy here, she got excited about everything and loved everyone, just tonight we took her to concerts in the park she was so excited sitting in the park meeting people and playing with the kids then bam, Bloat. Talk about a Chow not getting a break in life, only 3 years old, spends her life gaged in a puppy mill, gets hit by a car then dies from Bloat. Poor Onyx never had a chance at a good life.

Onyx and her most prized possession, the raw hide bone.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Terrible News, Onyx passed away tonight

Post by fillyok »

I'm so sorry to hear about this. But you're wrong about one thing...Onyx did have a good life...with you. Thank you for taking her in and giving her the best months of her short life. Run free Onyx...you were loved.
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

Jeff i am so sorry to hear about Onyx. I have to agree with fillyok. Onyx finally did get to have a good life thanks to you. Because of your big heart and chow loving soul she was well loved at the end. She will be cheerfully waiting for you on the other side of the bridge.
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Jeff you gave Onyx a good life and she knew she was loved. Sorry about your loss Jeff. Onyx you have your wings, run free sweetheart.
Jeff my thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time. [-o|
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Theo »

Jeff, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Onyx was so lucky to be loved by you and your family.
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I thought that was a terrible joke when I saw the subject :cry:
You saved her and gave her a wonderful taste of freedom and love. I'm sorry for your loss Jeff.
ImageImageImage
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Jeff,I am so sorry to hear that your beautiful Onyx passed last night.you and your family gave her a great little life and gave her a chance to love and trust people.my heart is breaking for you.my deepest sympathies :(
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Jeff, I am so sorry for your loss of Onyx. You gave her a home and she was happy. You have nothing to apologize for.

David
chris

Post by chris »

Everyone here says the same thing, Onyx did have a good life at the end. We can't dictate when God needs his creatures or children back home. He needed Onyx for something. Look what you did for Onyx. And believe you 2 were put together so that Onyx would have a good life until she was needed. :-) And to think... GOD picked you Jeff... I don't think he would have found a better Chow Daddy for Onyx.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Oh Jeff that is TERRIBLE News........I don't know what to say[:D] Please give Connor an extra hug from us :cry: She was lucky to know love and to have her very own family. I'm sorry for your loss

Thanks Sweetpea!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I'm so sorry.... that was so sudden.

Ugh. don't know what else to say.. take care, Jeff.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Jeff I am so sorry. The only consolation here is that Onyx died with a family of her own and YOU gave her that. Maybe you can find some confort in that. I'm so shocked I don't know what to say. (((hugs)))
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I am so sorry Jeff. To you Onyx had a short happy life, to her it was enjoying every minute of her freedom with a family who loved her and treated her with respect. I found a kitten once with known health problems and we knew he would never live to be a old cat. I use to tell my kids that every day he has with us is longer than he ever would have had if we wouldn't have pick him up off the road that day. Its the same with Onyx. Every day she had with you was longer than she would have had if you hadn't of found her. You were there for her when she needed you most and she has left you with some great memories.
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

Deepest sympathies, so sorry for your loss.

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

So sorry to hear about onyx. She did have a rough little life. But the others are right, at least the end of her life was filled with love and happiness.
SweetPea Rocks!!
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

OMG! Im so sorry! She was so happy, and everyone here has said exactly the truth, you gave her such a good life for the past few months, I can't even tell you how sorry I am.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

How horrible. I can't believe it. Jeff, you did a great thing by helping her out. I am so sorry her life with you was so short. She did find happiness with you and your family after all the tradgedy she had been through. I hope you can take comfort in that. Run free sweet Onyx. Run free.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Oh Jeff, I'm so sorry. When I saw your post topic it knocked the wind out of me. How is Connor doing? I'm so sorry, I don't know what else to say. :cry:
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Jeff. But everyone is right. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Poor Onyx... She was so young and was finally having a good life! You and your family must be so upset and sad... I am so, so sorry for your loss....
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Barb22
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Barb22 »

Jeff,
Prayers and heartfelt condolences to you and your family. Take solice in knowing what a great life
you provided for her and the memories she has given you. Her spirit will always be with you.

Barb, Ginger and Toby
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Oh Jeff, I am so very sorry to read this. You worked with her so much. And just looking at her pictures from when you brought her home to the ones in this post, you can see how much she had improved, from a shy sore girl with a hurt leg to a spoiled inquisitive charmer. She was happy, you made her happy and she knew nothing but love in her last few months and you did that for her.

Take care of yourself, and Connor and Pekoe cause I'll bet she's wondering where the pest is....
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I'm so sorry Jeff. Only having Milo a few months I understand how quickly they become part of your live & heart. Take care & my deepest sympathies.
Thank you Elodie!
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

I'm so sorry Jeff, what terrible news! :cry: :cry:
chownuzzle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chownuzzle »

I am sorry to hear about Onyx. I hope you and your family are coping as best you can. She looks like she was happy, and that's is thanks to you and your family.