dog's in my bed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

dog's in my bed

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I am donating this book on the chow chow to all the members of the chow.org site and hope you enjoy it. please let me know

DOGS IN MY BED BOOK 1

DOG'S IN MY BED

STORIES ON CHOW CHOW'S
AND OTHER DOGS & CATS.

AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY
OVER 20 YEARS
OF LOVE AND UNDERSTANDING

BY Carolyn Dewrance

THIS BOOK IS DEDICATED TO
It is with thanks to so many people who have encouraged me with the writing of this book. To name a few but very important to me.

My Son’S Ian Dewrance, Robin Viljoen, Charles Viljoen and Mr. Rick Skidmore, for the assistance and support they have given me over the past 25years of owning, breeding and showing the lovely Chow Chow.

To my sisters, Gaye Cuff and Shirley Holmes, thank you for your support especially in the last year when I was retrenched from work, for help in feeding my dogs and being able to keep them safe with me.

To the Chow Chow Club of the Transvaal, especially Mr. and Mrs. Johan Naude, Mrs. and Mrs. Myburg, Mr. and Mrs. Botes, Annamarie Balmer, Danie and Mandy van der Walt, Andre and Lia Du Toit, Mr. Bob Stevens, and to the attending Veterinarians, Dr John Pyn (now deceased) Dr Charles Barnard, Dr L Evans, and Dr Wendy Neadly, a very special thank you to Cheryl Ann Hurley, you have all been wonderful and very supportive in the writing of this book.
To all the members of the CHOW CHOW .ORG SITE HOPE YOU ENJOY IT.

Fleurette Ellis and to others to many to name. Steve Cousins for the many studio photos he has taken of my Chows. Visual Concepts.

You are all wonderful and without you and your encouragement this book may never have been.

In memory of
Kimiko Lady, Halley, Tessa, Monique , Apools, and all the rest.

First started writing in 1982
Now published by myself to disk
2004.©
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means. Electronic or mechanical, includes photocopying, recording or any other information storage and retrieval system, without permission of the author/publisher. Stories and photographs copy writes to the author/publisher.

These stories that you read here, are all true stories, the medical stories are of true happenings, they may make you cry, and some will make you smile, I do hope that my experiences with The Chows and other dogs included will assist you with your problems with your dogs.
C.A.Dewrance
Copyright 2001©

25 YEARS OF LIVING WITH CHOW CHOWS

AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY
By
Carolyn Dewrance

A LOVE AFFAIR WITH CHOWS
I got my first K.U.S.A. Registered Chow Chow in 1982, and this started a great love affair, Lady was just a small little ball of fluff, 6 weeks old and the sweetest thing I had ever owned, At that time we lived in a penthouse on the top of Park Central in the center of Johannesburg, How was I allowed to keep a dog in a penthouse you may ask your self, but quite a few of the residents had dogs and the caretaker had 4 of her own although they were very much smaller then my Chow would be when she was grown. These first stories are dedicated to the memory of Lady, Tessa, and Monique Halley and Ushka and of course Leo. These first stories are told by some of the dogs themselves.
WHAT DOG
This was the question I asked myself when I set my eyes on the first Chow I had ever seen.

Often I would see these beautiful animals riding around on the back of a bakkie, through the streets of Ladysmith and they overawed me. They were the most beautiful dogs I had ever seen.

One day while I was working in a bookshop, the owner of the Chows a Mr. Prinsloo parked his van outside and came into the shop to order a book. I plucked up the courage to ask him just what kind of dogs He bred. To answer my question he went out to his van and brought in the most beautiful six-month-old puppy I had ever seen. He told me he had just imported this dog from the United Kingdom and that his name was Hanoi Tazu of Karloo. Now at that time I had no idea of what his Title meant but I could see that he really was one of the best, and it was then that I decided that I too would one day own a Chow Chow like Tazu.

Today almost 10 years later I do own a dog like Tazu and I am very fond of her. She may not be a Champion but I know that she is one of the best Chows in South Africa today and that she will hopefully be able to be the mother of future champions.

Tazu was a red Chow and as a small puppy looked like a lovely red Teddy bear, and it is thanks to Mr Prinsloo that my interest in these lovely animals grew. I don't know if Tazu is still alive, but on going through many of the Kennel Union's old records, I came across an entry that he had become a Champion.

You can just imagine the lovely sight I saw when I saw those Chow Chows riding around on the back of the bakkie, their fur shining red in the bright sunlight. They were the only Chow Chows in Ladysmith at the time and I felt that they were a very special kind of dog, to be owned by very special people.

Today I know that very special people own Chows Chows, and it is only Chowists that love and understand these fantastic animals I am pleased to say that I have made many very good friends amongst the Chow World. I have also been able to sell my special puppies to people who love the breed as much as I do.

Chow Chows in my home are like my children and are so treated, they are given the best of care, and I never stint on medical care. A rise in temperature will be taken to our Vet for a Checkup.

Mr. Prinsloo you were the start of my love for these dogs and my first chow although not a pedigree was a very special animal. (See Kimiko's story) Since those days I have owned many Chow Chows.
And it is now with thanks to Mr. Johan Naude, Mr. Andries and Lia Du Toit and Mr. and Mrs. Myburg, that I have been able to put my Kennel name on the Map

I am very grateful to all you wonderful friends and hope that our Chow Chow's will go from strength to Strength.

Summer 1985

FOREVER LADY

It was Christmas Eve 1982 when you came to live with us; you were a tiny six-week-old little ball of fluff and like a tiny golden teddy bear. Your registered name was Loretta but to us you were our little lady. At three months of age you started to walk on the lead and your first walk was to Hillbrow, everyone stopped to admire you, much to your dislike, you growled at them and hid behind my legs, presumably to protect yourself rather then me. When you turned six months, Rick bought Leo, he was a lovely black Chow and now you were happy, You loved him and when ever we went for a walk to Hillbrow you made your way first to Rick's flat to fetch Leo and together we would take the two of you for a walk to the park, and then a cup of tea at the Wimpy and then home again. At nine months we decided that you were both good enough to enter into a dog show, the night before the show was a sleepless one for us humans, both excitement and mixed feelings, our first dog show, we never knew much about showing in those days, off we went in the old Combie, we had bathed and brushed you both until your coats shone, We were really very excited about showing you off.
When we arrived at the show grounds we were pleasantly greeted by many other Chow owners, with some lovely animals, Well we thought we could only try our best, We had not bought a blanket for you to lie on or even your brushes to keep your fur clean. It was winter in the Transvaal and even though the weather was warm the grass was dry and brittle, soon covering your lovely coats.
It was Leo's turn to go into the show ring, there were three other puppies as well as him, and as I watched, I did not really expect him to stand a chance against the heavier older dogs with their flatter faces and heavier bones, Well he walked very well and for the first time in the show ring, and much to our surprise and pleasure he was placed third in the puppy class.
Then it was your turn Lady and you held your tail high and with that stupid chow grin on you face, along with the other young puppies, of your age, you lined up to be judged, You looked lovely and did not try to bite the judge, you were also placed third and I was thrilled,
I put my arms around you and loved you.
When we got home that evening we got the camera out and took photos of you and Leo with your very first certificates, a remembrance forever.
As you grew we started to think of allowing the two of you to have a litter of puppies, you had already had you first season, and now you were sixteen months old and were again in season. Well we left the two of you together all day and all night, really we were the stupid ones, how were we to know that Chows are very hard to mate, eventually we very desperately called in help from The Chow Club, and were very kindly offered help in mating the two of you.
I cried when you eventually did, Leo got the right position and suddenly there you were, mating, it was already your seventeenth day into your season and we really did not expect anything to come of this mating, but we prayed and hoped that we would be lucky.
Five weeks later your belly appeared to look a little rounder, and to make sure we went up to the Vet, Yes you were pregnant and had four weeks to go. We could hardly contain our excitement we were going to be grandparents, the days seemed to go by extra slowly, then suddenly it was the 16th of April and our babies were due, I sat with you the whole night, I felt your pains with you and when you started to push, I pushed with you, at last at ten minuets to twelve you gave birth to your first lovely black male puppy " Leo's Son" how proud I was of you, you licked him and cuddled him and the look of pride in your eyes was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen, then it started all over again the huffing and puffing the pain and the cries then suddenly you produced another lovely son, this one was golden like you and we called him "Midnight" as he was born just after that hour.
As your babies grew we found it very difficult to part with them and the thought again turned to the show ring, their first show was a success, "Sonny" won best puppy and then went best puppy in the group, and the went on to win Second best puppy on show, with little Midnight following close behind, we were so very proud.
The day came when we decided to sell Midnight and we all cried our eyes out once he had gone to his new home with the promises that his new owners would show him some day. "Sonny" was sold to a lady who became a very close friend of mine over the next 20 years. We had by now bought Monique, a very lovely baby with good bone, and a flat face, this one we knew would be a Champion. And She was with a lot of hard work.
As time passed we were asked if you would like to do a movie, we were thrilled, to know that you and Leo would both go down on film in history.
Your part was in the film "We're in the Movies" it was hard work and also great fun and when the movie was released I was so proud of you My Lady, you really looked so lovely, I do hope that one day we will see that movie again. As the years went past you won many prizes at the dog shows and also produced many lovely puppies, In 1989 you had your last litter and either because of your failure to go into labor or some terrible mistake during your Caesar to bring your little puppies into the world, all your lovely eight puppies died, how sad we were, and I cried day and night for weeks for your loss. By now we had added to your companions Tessa and Halley. Halley was the father of this last litter.
1990 brought a lot of sadness to our lives, didn't it Lady, we had lost our lovely Champion Monique after a very difficult birth in 1986.
And now suddenly Tessa was gone, after a very short illness. Now you only had Halley to talk to, so I went out and bought Ushka and Tasha to keep you company, We also had Monique 2 and her son Apollo, but you weren't on speaking terms with them, you were the only one who knew that Halley would never come back that dreadful Sunday Last August 1990.You cried real tears and I cried with you, Lady you were my oldest and dearest, and you seemed to understand my grief. Slowly we got over the sadness and were looking forward to a New Year when just before Christmas you got sick, I tried my best to help you and stayed awake all night to make sure you were alright, but to no avail, On Christmas eve eight years after I got you, I had to allow you your freedom in the Heavenly Gardens, a Garden where only Gods dogs are allowed to roam.

DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DOG STAR

Have any of you other household dogs wondered what it's like to be a Dog Star. Well let me tell you about my little bit before a movie Camera.
My Mistress rudely awakened me at the unearthly hour of five o'clock in the morning to a dish of ice-cold milk. I peeped through my side of the fence and looked at Monique, lying in her bed looking grotesquely fat, she is pregnant and only has a week to go, I snarled a good morning to her and she retaliated by telling me to be quite and let her rest. I was then taken out of my kennel and given a quick brush over my coat, something I can't stand first thing in the morning. "Oh no" I thought, not another one of those dog shows again really it is cruel to wake me up so early just to parade me around a ring with other dogs that look better than I do" I growled at my Mistress. Well there was no use arguing, my leash was slipped over my head much to my annoyance, and my Mistress opened the front door, Well it would be an outing, so I joyfully charged down the corridor to the lift and stood anxiously waiting while my Mistress and young master locked the front door. Then we were off, down in the lift to the ground floor.
There waiting for us with his car was Master Rick, but when I looked for my boyfriend "Leo" there was no sign of him. That’s strange I thought can't be going to a show then. I jumped into the car and sat in my rightful place on the passenger side next to the driver.
Where are we going to I wondered, well we traveled for about 15 minutes and came to a very large house with lots of open ground. I sniffed the air to see if I recognized any smell, but no, it was very strange to me. From my Mistress's conversation I heard that I was going to be a film star, so I carried my head held high and put my nose into the air. I had a lovely bath the day before and was looking good, even if I must say so myself.
I was soon taken out the car, given a bowl of water and then allowed to go for a walk to relieve myself. I was then chained with my benching chain to a lot of old pipes in the middle of a sand patch. How degrading it was to me, as my nice clean fur would now get horribly dirty. Oh well it all in a dog's day I suppose, I sighed. My mistress was never far from me, so I knew I was safe. Well after what seemed like lying around for hours, I was once again bundled? Into a car, a strange one this time. I did not like the driver very much, so I growled at him a few times to warn him not to touch my mistress who was sitting next to him. This time the journey took a little longer but we soon arrived at a lovely park.
The grass was so green and lovely and I just wanted to run and roll, but with my leash securely held in my Mistress's hand I could do neither. It was a hot day, so my Mistress bought herself a coldrink and me an ice cream, which I did not want, and watched her as she ate it knowing how much she hates ice cream! I smiled to my self...Revenge an hour later I suddenly found myself the center of attraction. I was in front of a movie camera! Now my fellow Chow Chow's, have you ever heard of a Chow Chow walking backwards, I ask you, it's just impossible. So eventually the man they called the director told my Mistress to walk backwards, leading me towards her at just the right pace. Well I sat, and then stood and she walked back wards leading me, and the faster I moved the faster she had to move. It all looked very funny and if I ran she had to run backwards, have you ever been for a walk with a Mistress that walks backwards, try it sometime. Well we did this until the Director said "it's a take" then we had to start all over again up and down the path with other people also walking backwards even a tiny baby in its pram was going backward. The whole world seemed to be going backward by this time.
We walked up hill and down hills and all over with her walking backwards the entire item. Well this is what it must mean to be a Dog Star. We eventually finished all those backward scenes by four o' clock, and I was tired, hungry and also very thirsty. The Director spoke to my Mistress " This is a lovely dog to work with, and I would like to use Her again when we go to the Ice Rink". Oh dear it seems that they are trying to make me into a human. I wonder if they will get a pair of ice skates to fit me. I really should take some lessons or else I will just slip and slide all over the ice and that will make me a real laughing stock amongst us Chows! Well when we eventually arrived home I was tired and hungry, and in a bad mood, so when Monique asked me what I did I promptly told her to be quite and leave me alone. She snarled at me and told me I was unsociable and that she would not talk to me for a week. Well that's a good thing because by then she will be to busy with her Babies, and I will be busy working out how I am going to learn to ice skate on four legs! So Chow for now and take note, film work is not Fun and you don't even get a bone for it.

DOGS ON ICE

Today I was taken to a place that the humans call the Ice Rink. This is A field of frozen water, all white and shiny Once again I'm supposed To be a film star, I will now tell you what it is like to be ice-skating Star, not that I was very successful. There were two cameras standing outside the ice barrier, and quite a number of other types of dogs, if you can call them dogs, some were short and fat, and some were long and tall and they were all of different colors. Really you can't class us in the world of dogs, as we chows are just perfect So I just snarled at the others, to let them know I was not like them and I was better in many ways. My Mistress put on what she called Ice Skates, they seemed to make her so Much taller, Now my mistress had not been ice-skating since I was born As she had been to busy with me. She tied me to a post outside the ring and carefully stepped onto the Ice, hanging on for dear life she walked around slowly trying to get her Footing. Well after a little while, not without a few falls, she seemed to be doing all right, so she came over to fetch me. I thought they were going to give me ice skates, but apparently not, As I was lifted onto the ice by a strange man I did not like and I tried to bite him. How dare he treat a Chow in such a manner, I stood Carefully on the ice, which was very cold on my bare feet, my mistress Called me to come to her, well I tried my best, but with four legs slipping and sliding all over the place, as I took my first step, I Got such a big fright that I sat down and much to my disgrace I wet Myself. For this I was severely scolded by the director, he didn't have any pity for me. I was now cold and wet and very afraid, so I started Bark for my mistress to come and help me. I really didn't know where To put my feet, I tried to step high on my toes, which would have made any Judge proud of me, but I slipped even worse, then I sat down to get my Bearings only to jump up as quick as lightning as my bottom almost got stuck to the ice. Eventually I just stood very carefully and waited Slowly lifting one foot and placing it in front of the other. The problem then was that my back legs would slide away from me and I would land up on my belly. My dear friends don't ever let any one talk you into going ice-skating. You will just make an idiot of yourself. Well after being on that ice for what seemed like hours, the Director asked my mistress to take me off. I went, dripping puddles of water all over everything and once I was on dry ground I had a darn good shake to get all the water out of my fur; I am glad I am pedigreed, because if I was a mongrel like some of the others I would have not fared so lightly, They were dragged around the ice by their owners and they slipped and slid all over the ice. That they did not break any bones is a wonder. I think they must think I am an awful snob, but I really don't care if that is the only way I will be able to keep away from the ice rink. I must admit it was quite an experience but I don't ever want to repeat it again. I would advise you all to keep well away from ice of any kind, It's not much fun for Chows and it is very cold and wet.
Once we were allowed to leave the ice rink I went straight home and the first stop was the kitchen, I really think I deserved a nice warm cup of milk and a chocolate biscuit for my labor. When I told my friend Monique what I had been doing she laughed at me and said that is what I get for creeping up to my mistress all the time. Monique would never allow anyone make her do what she did not want to do.
And if they did try she would just walk like a crab and spoil everything for everyone concerned. But then that's Monique. She really can be a snob. I'm glad she is out of condition, and won't be showing for a few months.

I may then be able to gain some points on her. Oh wishful thinking.

WE'RE IN THE MOVIES.

The great day has come, we have been invited to see a preview of ourselves in a great movie called "You're in the Movies" You all know about my days filming so let me tell you now about our evening at the movies. We went with our human companions, Carol, Rick and Robin, who took us into the Cinema, we went up a lot of stairs before coming to what they decided were suitable seats, Carol, Rick and Robin sat down, then Leo and I made ourselves comfortable on two extra seats, I sat close to Leo as I felt a little nervous, this was the first time I had ever been in a cinema, and all these people around me were rather frightening. I looked at Leo and then placed my paw on top of his, feeling a little comforted. The lights dimmed and everything went black, the curtains opened and I saw what looked like a giant TV screen, now I often watch TV but never expected to see anything like this. As the film started, first up was Robin, spinning around in a post box, well I knew it was Robin, as he told me so himself, I turned and gave him a big lick. As the film progressed I was faced with the biggest gorilla I had ever seen it seemed to jump right out at us and I barked at it and almost landed on Leo's front paws. We both got such a fright. There were lots of scenes in which I saw Rick, and Leo stretched over me to give him a big lick As well, I guess no one could miss him and his bald spot on his head.
Suddenly I saw Leo, on the screen, and I was so excited, I barked so loudly and at the same time upset my popcorn all over the floor. Oh he looked so handsome and all shining black, how lucky I was to have a boyfriend likes him.
Then suddenly before my very eyes "That's me" I barked, I was so excited "Did you see me" I licked my mistress’s face all over, She looked good as well, and I was walking backwards, really walking backwards.
I looked lovely and my fur was shining clean I was really proud of myself "Woof Woof" I'm so happy.
Well I am not going to say to much about the movie, as I hope you are all going to see it, as it will be the last time you see Leo He was sold to new owners a few weeks ago and I have been very heart broken, but he made me pregnant before he went, so I hope to have some little ones just like him soon. After the movie, we went to the Cheese and wine party, I love Cheese and wine, but Leo does not. We were congratulated by the Directors and the producer and patted on the head by just about everyone. It was a really grand time for us all.
By six o Clock we went home all a little tipsy, but I was a very happy little Chow Chow.

A CHOW CHOW CHRISTMAS.

It's Christmas Eve, and this year we have decided to spend it in the safety of our own home. The tree has been decorated, and the lights are flickering on and off there are a few little presents that we have bought for each other, The chickens in the oven and the salads are in the fridge, We are all ready for a day of prayer and peace. But we will not be alone this Christmas; we will be sharing it with a variety of furred and feathered friends. With us will be Leo and Lady and baby Monique the three Chow Chow's, Susie an Diana the cats, Tex the rat, and Romeo and Juliet the two little mice, In their cages will be Fred, Tammy and Storm the cocktails in the fish tank is Cleopatra and Caesar the two goldfish. Outside we will also share our day of peace with the pigeons and two little wild doves. For you see Christmas is a time of loving and sharing, and our love for our animals comes before our love of visiting friends.
For they are helpless creatures of God and he has given them into our care and safekeeping. Hanging on the Christmas tree is a little something for each of our animals, a gift of our love.
It's early Christmas morning when I am awakened to the sound of crackling paper coming from the lounge. I look across to see if Robin is up at this early hour, but find that he is still sound asleep. Getting out of bed and silently walking to the door, an amazing sight meets my eyes. The dogs have started Christmas without us. Monique has managed to open a few of the parcels with her baby teeth and lady has helped to decorate the lounge floor as well as the rest of the flat by undoing the toilet roll and scattering it all over the floor in small chewed up pieces. Leo has somehow managed to take the little fairy off the top of the tree, and has chewed her all to pieces. Not to say who ate the dog chocolates or the special goodies we had tied onto the tree for them. I stand flabbergasted, unable to say a work, Thank heavens the chicken is in the oven.
The dogs see me, and stand with their heads bowed, almost touching the floor, they know they have done wrong, but Monique [being the smallest] comes up to me, wagging her little tail in welcome, What can one say to three animals you love very much, on Christmas morning you would not scold them if they had been children of the same age, you would have patted their dear little heads and possibly helped them open the rest of their parcels, So that is exactly what I did with my three dogs, I patted them on their heads, and put the outside. While cleaned up the mess. Unfortunately they could not spend to long outside because as soon as I had cleaned up the mess, then down came the rain, so back inside they had to come, by this time I had got Robin up, and we had our breakfast, as well as feed the cats and other animals.
It was now time for the dogs to be groomed before we made our way to church. When you own three Chows the grooming never stops. You cannot miss a day for fear of one of them getting a skin irritation and they must be kept clean at all times. I checked the oven to find the chicken has cooked nicely everything is no ready to us to eat when we get back from church. You may be thinking, what about the dogs, yes they went to church with us and were very well behaved.
After lunch we are all pretty tired from all the good food that has been consumed, and it is now time to rest for a couple of hours, with a nice hot toddy and a new book to read for a while. It’s 4 o clock and is now time to take the dogs for a run in the park the grass is soaking wet, so it's on with old clothes and tackies, anxious dogs now waiting at the front door, ready to go walkies. The minute the door opens they charge out to the lift and wait while I lock the front door, Can you imagine what a hand full it is for two people to take three very strong dogs for a walk. They tie themselves around your legs and around them selves, {Just what Barbara Woodhouse would love] so it's walkies, or let's say jogies, as we make our way to the park just down the road, the dogs leading the way. On arriving at the park we are pleased to see that a lot of others have also taken their dogs walkies, on this Christmas day, so You are afraid to let Leo off the lead, as being male he may go for the other males around, or they may go for him. So poor Leo is kept tied until the other male dogs go home, but in the meantime, you have to keep an eye on Monique and Lady in case they happen to wander off to far on their own, or happen to pick up an old chicken bone that someone has carelessly thrown to the ground, just in front of their very highly sensitive noses. If they happen to find one of these bones you have a job of digging it out of their unyielding mouths.
At last all the other male dogs have gone, and it is o.k. To let Leo off his lead, He may look fierce but really has got a heart of gold and would not harm a flea, but you cannot tell this to strangers.
So Leo is let loose to run and enjoy his freedom. Soon it starts to get dark and it is time to take the dog’s home again.
It is almost the end of another Christmas day, but it has been rather special. It is only when I am alone that I think of the other dogs and cats, that are not as lucky as mine, and wish I could make a New years resolution for other people who have animals, that is if you don't love animals, then don't have them like children they are your responsibility, If you are cruel to animals, are you also cruel to your children? Christmas is for all to share, and the New Year is just around the corner waiting there.

SATURDAY AT THE O.K.

Hello again all you Chowists, I hope this is a wonderful New Year, even though it started with a bang.
I was going shopping with my mistress, to the O.K. Bazaars on the Saturday morning on the 11.1.1987, I go with her every Saturday morning, think she feels safe with me close to her, and she needn't worry about pick pocket thieves, when I am around. The shop windows had been shattered by a bomb that had been set off the
Day previously and a lot of damage had been done, now because of this they were having a sale on the ground floor, everything was going at the price of 2 for 1. There was still Christmas decorations hanging in one
Of the windows, which were also advertising a record "Stille Nag" these are definitely not silent nights or days.
If you have never been in a large store, you would be amazed at what goes on there, with hundreds of humans milling about and buying things that they don't really need. Well my mistress needed a couple of new T-shirts and as everything was going cheap, she thought now was the time to buy what she needed.
Now because I am a dog, I really don't like being in a crowd of people pushing and showing, but I take it in my stride and have never even had my paws trodden on. People especially the dark ones, tend to keep out of my way as I think they are a little afraid of me, and I growl and show my teeth If they do come to close for comfort. Well my mistress was standing on one side of the counter away from the queue.
After buying her T-shirts and was waiting for her friend Mandy to pay for her purchases, when we saw the police, coming into the building, they were telling the Humans to please leave the store, due to a bomb.
Now I don't know what a bomb is, and have never seen or even tasted one but the way people started pushing and screaming and running towards the exits, this must be something very nasty, so I lay down close to the
Floor, at my mistresses feet and tucked my head beneath my paws, She called Mandy and together they stood well away from the mad people rushing for the doors, People of all colors rushed passed us to get out, I have never seen humans so afraid in my life. I growled my fear, and crept closer to my mistress. One dark man went running straight through the plate glass window, there was blood everywhere, and a white lady due to whelp, was pushed over and trampled on, Thank heavens my mistress had the sense to stand still and not join the rushing crowd of humans, as I am sure I would have been hurt, or I might have bitten somebody. Once the store was nearly empty we calmly
Walked out, safe and sound, only to hear that it was only a bomb scare and that there was no bomb.

A STAR IS BORN
Hello I'm Dr Halley. As you might have guessed by my name I have been called after Dr Edmond Halley, the man who gave his name to the Comet that is now passing our small planet Earth. I am one of a litter of six puppies three boys and three girls, I am now twelve weeks old, and am a lovable bundle of fur, a real live teddy bear. Last Saturday, I went to my first show with the permission of the Club secretary. Every on stopped to pat me and cuddle me and I gave friendly licks to all, before the show, I went for a walk on my lead around the show grounds with my Mistress. We looked at the other dogs, there but found nothing to compare with us Chows. As we were passing some people sitting on the grass, a man let go of his Rottweiler, who, as quick as lightning flew at me. Now as you know I am very small, and I got a terrible fright, when I saw this big brute was going to try and eat me. He just missed me as my Mistress grabbed me up into her arms; she got a nasty fright As well, for the dog could have bitten her as well. She hates these dogs as her Auntie was badly bitten by three of them a few weeks ago in Florida.
Well we went back to our spot, and I had some milk and was examined to see if any harm was done, thankfully not. Soon it was our turn to go to the ring in which we were to be shown. Again on my way, two very large Saint Bernard's that thankfully were tied down also thought I was something to eat, and the both flew at me, choking themselves on their chains.
This was just about enough for one day; I must have been born lucky! Well I was called into the ring and was placed 1st in the Minor Puppy class and then up against Julie, I took best Puppy, now I had to compete against Lady and Monique for the Best of Breed and Best Opposite *Censored Word*. Well in this class Lady Loretta surprised all by beating Monique for the first time in her life to take best of Breed and I just a little scrap of fur took best opposite *Censored Word* of which I am very proud. All in all it was a lovely afternoon except that I shall never like Rottweiler or St Bernard's ever in my life, just as Monique does not like Irish wolfhounds. I guess the Comet is my guiding star and when I'm older I hope to shine as brightly!

THE KENNELS IN THE SKY

The Sun rises very early in the morning, and by 6am our flat is lit by daylight, Monique, Halley and myself have our kennels out on the balcony, which is open to the sunshine and all weather conditions, we each have our kennel, and our runs are made out of swimming pool fencing and are quite roomy We have a nice wooden box in which to sleep and these also protect us from the rain and the midday sun. Our kennels are spacious enough for us to play in and to keep us out of any harm. Monique is kenneled separately from Halley and myself, we share adjoining kennels, and this is only because Monique and I are not the best of friends and will fight if given the chance. Up until now Halley shared his kennel with Monique, but now he is old enough to be on his own, and he resents it, but he is not alone as he has both of us to keep him company during the day.
On awakening in the morning, each of us takes a turn to go into the flat to be with our humans, and we love this, as the first place I make for is Carol's bed, Halley of course, goes to the Kitchen, to share his breakfast with our four cats. Monique loves Robin and wakes him every morning for work. But we have each other for company and the cleaning girl comes in every day; She always comes to see us as she fed all of us when we were very young - so we trust her. I must admit I can't wait till five o'clock in the afternoon, when Carol comes home from work. This is the time for our walk in the park. First of all Halley and I spend a lovely time running and playing catch in the dog park across the road from our flat.

This dog park was kindly erected for our use by the park board, after my Mistress wrote them a letter, requesting that a dog park be erected for all the city dogs. So, of course, we have to share it with a few other dogs. We spend a half an hour in the park, then it's time to go back home and Monique has her turn. After this it's suppertime and then we all get a tie to lie around the flat until bedtime at about 11pm. Weekends we love, because our mistress is home all day and we (that's Monique, Halley and I) are allowed inside for four hours each during The day, one at a time, then we spend two hours in the park.
Sundays are our favorite days as we either go to a dog show, or we go for a long walk around Hillbrow. Being admired by a great many people! Halley still being young does not walk very fast and now and again he has to be carried, which is difficult, as he is very heavy.
He does not like crowds or noisy places. After our long walk its back home, in time for supper and the to bed, and a good restful night, before the start of another week. I must admit, we are all rather spoilt, but then we are also loved very much and are treated as part of our family.
I, myself, have been to work a few times with my mistress when her doctor is away. You see - I may not be able to talk the human language but I can understand her.

Well my friends, now you know what life is like on the top of the roof- The Kennels in the Sky! It can be done and we are healthy living proof of it. Between Monique and I, we have raised 15 puppies so far, up here in the Sky. Where there is no chance of Parvo Virus, ticks or fleas.
Our kennels are cleaned each day and washed down once a week with antiseptic. Members are always welcome to come and visit our "Kennels in the Sky".

THE FACTS AND FANCIES OF A
NON PREGNANT BITCH

Most of you know what it's like to be in season pregnant and to have puppies, but I am going to tell you all about mine.
I had been in season for ten days when I was bundled into Rick's combie, with my Mistress Carol and driven to a house; I have never been to before. It was all a bit strange. At this house I was introduced
To Alfonso. I have met him before at dog shows, and have always admired him. He has a lovely nature, a perfect face and is all over a very nicely proportioned dog. He really is a super fellow and I fell in love with him there and then. Well as it was raining we were allowed to roam around the house together and when it stopped raining he showed me his yard. I was very impressed, as it is so much nicer then living in a flat. He has a lovely safe garden in which to lie and some lovely other
Chows to talk to. Not that I am lonely, as I have Lady and little Julie and I go for long walks in the park every day. To cut things short, Alfonso and I were mated, and I left with my Mistress and Rick and returned to my flat. The next day I felt sick, and really was not in the mood to do any thing, not even eat my food.

Then once again I was put in the car, and taken back to Alfonso. I think Alfonso really liked me, as he was very pleased to see me this time! Once again we were mated, and I am sure that I am going to have puppies this time.

I am now in my second week of pregnancy and am not feeling very well I went up to see the Vet, and he says I have a slight kidney infection and a small lump in my uterus He gave me an Injection and some tablets to take. I really don't feel like eating anything but raw oats and milk and an egg now and then. Dog food is taboo.
It makes me sick. I really can't stand what they put into tinned meat and the meat from the butcher, is also revolting, I will not eat biscuits, but I do like sardines as well as a nice piece of steak as was liver and Kidney, I am sure I am pregnant, but no one else knows yet. So I shall keep it a secret for a while longer. I have finished my tablets and am feeling well again.

My third week is coming up and I still have a slight discharge, which is brown in color. I am feeling much quieter and like to lie around the flat during the day. I am not very friendly to Lady and the puppies. I must say I am looking really lovely, it's only my eye that is worrying me at the moment, but my mistress is treating it so I know that it will be fine.

My forth week, I feel good and look good, and this week I have decided to eat strawberries and cream. I have gone off my other food, so my Mistress has put me onto a vitamin tonic. What an awful taste it has I do try to spit it out, but it doesn't help and she only gives me more if I do. I am beginning to put on weight and the Vet says
I am pregnant. My discharge is turning white but there are no other signs yet. We all went to the day of the Mutt Show but none of us won a prize, all the mutts did, Anyway it was nice to have a days outing, and I think the puppies enjoyed it.

This is now my 5th week and I have put on weight and am getting wider around my rib cage. I am sure I can feel my puppies kicking inside but I really don't know just how many I am going to have this time. I am now off strawberries and cream and back onto fresh meat and milk, but I will still not eat my cereals, somehow my babies do not like conventional dog food.

On Saturday and Sunday the 12th and 13th October I was awoken early in the morning and taken to the dog shows. Now these I love and I always try to look my best, even when I think I am pregnant. Well this time I worked extra hard and surprised everyone including
My sisters by taking home 2CC's as well as five trophies. Boy was I proud of my self, I had the widest Chow grin on my face that I had ever had, and I felt I really deserved it! So Rick has promised to take me to shows out of town next year to try and make me a Champion. Alfonso is now a Champion so my puppies have a direct line Champion in their blood!

This is now my 6th week and I am still very fussy about my food. Last night I ended up eating a few Chicken pieces with out the bones and some left over ham the neighbors sent up. I am very lucky as they send me something up every night and just to make Carol mad, I won't touch the food she prepares for me, but wait for the scraps, which I prefer. My breasts are now starting to feel a bit fuller, but I can’t see much change in them. Every night when Carol gets home from work
She gets me to lie on my side and she looks to see if there is any change in my breasts and the she rubs my tummy which I love and she talks to the puppies, She says this is getting to know them before they are born, I love this and it helps me to relax.

There is just one thing I don't like, and that is Raspberry leaf tablets mixed with my milk, but I drink it all the same a she says it will help me when I give birth to the puppies, and that it aids the puppies by giving the extra oxygen to the placentas which will keep them healthy
And give them a good start in life. I myself feel really fantastic I wonder what my babies will look like, if they will be like their Champion father or like me; I will just have to be patient and wait a little while longer. Tomorrow my first litter will be a year old, and I must say that two of them have turned in to fantastic dogs. I wish I could see them again to compare them with my new litter.

Little Cindy the golden Cocker next door is due to have her puppies any day now and she is so tiny, a miniature Cocker if ever I saw one, and I am sure she is going to have at least 6 puppies, I feel so sorry for her, as she has not been to the Vet for a check up, and I do hope she will be alright. My mistress is keeping an eye on her, to see that all goes well.

I was awake all night last night, I just know its time for Cindy to have her puppies, and I was right, she had her first two at 7.30am and by 10am she had given birth to four bitches and 2 dogs, I just hope she can manage them all. The first little bitch nearly died but I think my mistress has managed to save her. Cindy doesn't seem very interested in her as she is a weak puppy, but all the rest seem to be healthy and sucking well.

Well tomorrow I am into my 7th week and don't have long to go myself. I don't think I will have as many puppies, certainly not six. I am feeling very lazy and tired, Although I look pretty big, my mistress says maybe I will only have about two or three puppies, but I will just have to wait and see. I love eating raw sheep's lung and heart, and had some very smelly sheep's stomach last night, which I did find rather rich and would not eat all of it. My mistress, is really feeding
Both Lady and I some strange foods. |She call's them natural remedy foods and believes that raw foods are much better than cooked, I think I agree with her as she gave us both some Curry last night and neither Lady or I ate it! Not that it was too hot, but we have got used to raw meat.

I am going for a check up with the Vet tonight to see that all is well. I feel fine, but we must see that my unborn puppies are also developing correctly. My mistress is really very concerned about me, and I think she feels there is something wrong. The Vet says there is nothing to worry about and that I will have a few good-sized puppies. He also says that, I must not eat so much raw meat, as it is not good for me. He gave me some worm tablets and some Befee Vitamins to be crushed onto my food, well I never ate anything last night, just to spite everyone. I really don't feel hungry but my Mistress does not understand this and she cooked me some meat this morning and gave me some egg, milk and Honey, which I would not eat as well. So she took my temperature, which was normal. I wish I could tell her not to worry but she does.

My mistress seems very concerned about my breasts so she phoned the Vet this morning. He is also a little concerned about me, and says that I may have a dead puppy inside me and it my milk had not started to cone down my next Friday, he would like to x-ray me to check that all is O.K. I am sure there is nothing to worry about, I feel just fine. My mistress went to a homeopath Chemist to day and got me some tablets called Lac-Can; they are supposed to produce milk. Ha.Ha.

I am now well into my 8th week, an am felling on top of the world no dog could feel better. My breasts appear to be dropping, but I still don't have any milk. I spent the afternoon at Rick's Daughters house on Sunday, She has a big pool of water in the back yard, and everyone was jumping into it, Not I, it looked cool but I stayed well away, Chows don't get there toes wet. We all had a lovely braai, and I ate all the left over meat, which I really enjoyed. The people next door to Julie, have a Chow, and let me tell you he has the thinnest legs I have ever seen; He has a lovely body, but a "Wolf" face. He my dear friends is just not up to our standard and he thought me a bit of a snob when I growled at him, when he tried to smell me through the fence.

I am now almost in my 9th week and still have no milk to feed my puppies with, when they are born. It’s pouring with rain outside, and although I can come and go, as I like, Lady is locked in the bathroom. This is because we might fight. My Mistress is looking after the dogs next door as their owners are away. I think it is a sin, to leave a young mother Like Cindy alone with her puppies. The other three dogs are now locked in the kitchen, as their balcony is flooded with water, the drains are blocked. She does not have the heart to put them outside in this weather Lady and I am very lucky to have such a caring mistress. She really loves us and would never subject us to bad weather.

6th November, D.Day! Well I know every one at home is awaiting the birth of my litter. Carol has been taking my temperature every day and Robin is keeping an eye on me all the time. I myself just want to rest I am not hungry and will not eat. To day I am 63 days pregnant and I think my puppies are due, I suppose this is what they call a break before the storm I just want to be left alone.

Well my whelping day has come and gone, and I have dug my nest, and still not produced those long awaited puppies. I am also getting worried now. Carol took me to the Vet for a final check up. The verdict "NO PUPPIES' Well you can just imagine how I felt. We were both very upset and cried all the way home. I just can't believe that I went through all those stages of pregnancy for a full 9 weeks to produce 'NIKS well it happens to the best of us, so I wont let it worry me and I shall try again next time.

THE DAY OF THE MUTT
Yesterday as most of you know was the S.P.C.A.'s dog show, The day of the Mutt. Which I was forced to attend, by my humans wanting to give a little help to less fortunate Mutts. I also had to play nursemaid to Lady's two 10-week-old playful horrors.
Well it turned out to be quite a warm day and thanks to the S.P.C.A. a lot of water troughs were placed around for the "Mutts" to drink out of.

Let me tell you a little about the others. But first of all I must tell you there were five of us Chow Chow's at the show. A nice male called "Shogun."
And of course the terrible black twins Julie and Leo. If this had been a breed show we may have stood a chance, but against all the mutts, well I suppose we were just not in their lower class or the judges had never seen one of us before and thought we were from another planet. Not one of us Chows won a prize, but we did get our photos taken for TV

The first class was for the most disabled dog and the prize went to a little mutt that had lost her front leg in a car accident. I thought the dog that had been savaged and had had a broken neck should have won, as she was a grand 21 years old and still very beautiful except for her raw and open sores that were trying to heal.

The next class was the dog that could do the best tricks. The winner here was a little black scruffy dog that could climb step ladder as well as ride pillion on a B.M.X.bike He really deserved the first prize as he was terrific. I barked my appreciation at him. My mistress was a volunteer in this class and she had to pretend that a man was molesting her. I did not like the idea very much, but she always does what she wants and she is not afraid of any animal. I was terrified just watching her and shut my eyes tight expecting the worst to happen. The man's was a Mastiff and very large. As the man put his arms around my mistress the dog got between them and even tried to pull my mistress away. I was very frightened of him but she seemed to enjoy it. Well they took 3rd prize and I was very proud of her afterwards.

The next class that came up was for the most unusual Mutt. Now I think I am unusual as I have a blue tongue, but the judges did not think so and the prize went to a Husky which had yellow eyes. If only I had yellow eyes and a blue tongue I might have won. "But I soon got my revenge! Two bitches one an Irish Wolfhound and the other an Alsation kept getting in my way, so I nipped them both on the backsides and gave them and their owners a nasty fright. Oh yes I got a smack for doing it but my fur is so thick I did not feel a thing You see I just hate Irish Wolfhounds, great big things think they can push us little Chow Chow's around, and ugly plain Alsations, this one was not even pure bred anyway.

Well the other classes are hardly worth mentioning but I was nearly placed in the best-kept pedigree but was knocked out in the final judging. I'd really like to take a nip out of the judges as well. It's all so very frustrating when you have been shampooed and groomed for hours, and they don't even run their hands over your soft fur, but they are all patting the dirty dogs that have never seen a bath in years. They are not real Judges, just TV stars playing a different game for the day Anyway we Chows had a good day and were admired by so many people.

My head was throbbing by the time I got home from all the patting. I did not even feel like eating my supper. All I wanted to do was go to sleep. Not even Lady bothered to ask me how things went as she did not go with. She could see I was just worn out. Lady and I are the only ones who know I may be pregnant, but my mistress will have to wait a few more weeks to find out, as I am not going to tell her yet. See my story (the facts and fancies of a non-pregnant bitch)

Anyway we all had a good gay at the Mutt show and hope the S.P.C.A. gets lots of money to help other Mutts. By the way I heard that one of South African Chows was placed in the finals at the Crufts show in England. How true this is I do not know but the dog was bought from a breeder in Joubert Park, could this have been one of my children? I dearly love to think so!

DOWN TO EARTH

Everything is upside down, there are boxes of all sizes all over the place, and I just can't understand what is happening around here.

Carol keeps on coming outside to the balcony and tells us we are going to live in a nice house with Rick and his woman friend Christie, well I know Rick so I wag my tail gaily, and when let out of my kennel, go and sit at the front door waiting for him to come.

Over the last few days, Robin and Rick have been moving all the boxes filled with goods that really belong back on the shelves. The walls are bare and the carpets are all rolled up so that when Halley barks the flat sounds empty and echoes.

This morning Carol brought over our leads to the balcony and we all thought we were going for a walk to Hillbrow, but no again she said we were going to live in a house, Just what is a house, I really don't know. I have the very slight remembrance of my very early days
Of puppy hood when I played on a lot of soft green stuff but that's all I can remember. Tessa says a house is where people live, like a flat but no closed rooms that go up and down to get to the different homes, and there is usually lots of green stuff to play on She says
When she still lived with her Mom and Uncle Coens he used to love to play when the skies fell and made the green stuff wet. She believed the humans called this rain and grass, but Tessa is very much wiser, so I won't argue with her. I just hope Carol takes us with her, As well as all the cats.

Well Rick helped me into the car as my legs are sore, and he had to lift up little Monique No 2 as she can't even climb the step Then with Halley and Tessa's well as the three cats, and the three birds, the two tanks of fish, we were off. Ten minutes later we arrived at the House, what a mess, with boxes all over the place. We were taken around the back yard, that's what its called anyway, and there waiting for us were our new homes. All covered in this green stuff Tessa told us about. Halley of course had to try all the trees out first, and little Monique just wanted to play with her sisters. I was tired after my journey so settled down in my new kennel to sleep the rest of the morning.

We have been here for a week now, and I rather like it, The ground is soft and my box is snug and war although my leg is a bit sore, I am happy and relaxed. Halley says he prefers the flat, but I am sure he will soon settle in. Tessa loves it and flies around like a mad thing it reminds her of her early days and of course our little Monique is thrilled to have her sisters Angelique and Jamie to play with. To her life is just a bowl of ice cream and popcorn but she is still a puppy so I let her enjoy herself.

Suddenly we are now eight, myself (Lady), Halley, Tessa, Monique, Angelique, Jamie, my grand son Dr.Jon and of course my daughter Julie Quite a happy family don't you think. We as well as our humans have all settled down, and I think we are going to rather enjoy staying in a house.

The following letter of appreciation was received from Mrs. Carol Dewrance

Dear Johan and Leana,

I want to thank you for the very unexpected presentation you made me at the show on 10/10/87 and I thank you very much. Now that the shows are over for another few months, I shall miss all my friends and only wish them well over the Christmas break, and that we will all be back in full force again at the start of the new season. We at Meltari Kennels have had a rather sad year. We first lost Monique’s puppy, and then we lost our lovely Champion bitch Monique as well
After a sad start to the year things picked up with the fantastic two litters produced by Lady who had a fantastic seven and Tessa who had a magnificent six, of which you will see in the show ring next year.
Of Lady’s litter the best male sold to Mrs. Wendy Holness, died suddenly of Biliary and we shall miss little Vulcan, who was the splitting image of his father. Halley. I feel that the Chow Chow Club is part of me and I shall never miss a show. I am a member of one of the best Clubs in South Africa, well run by wonderful people. Thank you for being of help when I needed it, and for your sympathy as well, It's been a long hard year but well worth it. I shall treasure the trophies that Monique won last year and the one Tessa won this year.

Since the first show I ever went to with Lady as a young puppy, she is today retired after a chronic bought of Arthritis, to Making Monique a Champion, Halley getting his 1st CC and now our Baby Monique named after her great aunt and hope she will continue as the others have done, the Chow Chow Club has always stood by me.

BACK UP WE GO AGAIN

From the title of this story, and the change of address, you must presume that things did not work out well for us sharing a house. Carol packed all her things, Rick packed them into the old blue Combi, and once again we stated to move, and guess where we are going
Our first flat of course, this hopefully will now be the permanent home of the Meltari Chow Chows. So any one, who is looking for us, will find us up the Sky, away from the wet cold damp grass, away from Eczema, flees files and ticks, back home where we really belong.

Little Monique had rather a nasty accident at the house, after climbing the back steps, which are rather steep, she dislocated her left hip and her right knee, and after a lot of pain, she is now slowly coming right. Because at the flat she can sleep inside in the warmth and she
Is being treated by homeopathic remedies, which are now beginning to take effect.

Here at the flat we are in close contact with Carol and get more attention then we did at the house, for there we were not allowed inside I would say in my doggy way that things are really looking up for the better, and now that Robin has a job selling art, and some really
Lovely pictures, I do hope you will all support him by buying one sometime, A good piece of artwork is a treasure to own. Now my mistress spoke to the Chow Chow judge Mr. C. Shyrock at the Pretoria show and he has agreed to try and promote her book in America this is the book of the Chow Chow in South Africa. Now what we need is Photographs of your Chow Chows to be included in her book that will be sent to America at the end of June. All photos will be sent with the book.
Anlias Dr Halley of Meltari and Desnuki Contessa of Meltari

DESNUKI CONTESSA OF MELTARI (16.3.86 -11.2.90)

"My darling doggie daughter."

I shall miss you so much Tess my little Chinese Girl, but God wanted an angel up in his great kennel in the Sky, so he took you there. You left us so suddenly and so unexpectedly, we shall miss you and will Always remember you with love.

One absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and is sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his masters side He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds And the sores that come through encounters with the roughness of the world He guards the sleep of his master as if he were a prince when all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take
Wings, and reputation fall to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey to heaven.

Tess you were all of this to me, and oh so much more you were my Champion at the going down of the sun we will always remember you Tessa. Tessa died of a ruptured cyst on the ovary

IN LOVING MEMORY
'ANLIAS DR HALLEY OF MELTARI'
28.11.85 to 26.8.90

Like the bright shining star
He was named after,
He left us to day to travel afar,
To a place called Heaven.

He was wise and wonderful
A treasure in our life.
But like the comet long since gone
So has our Halley, our beloved son.

In sad memory of our beloved Halley, now gone
Too higher pastures to join his beloved Tessa.
Our hearts are broken with his loss, but one-day
Halley we will walk in that heavenly show grounds together.
We love you more than any words can say.
Until we met again some day.

I'M NEW AND I'M BLUE

My arrival at Meltari kennels was rather unexpected. Our breeder advertised me for sale with my brothers and sisters. Carol phoned just to see if our owner was registered with the Kennel Union and a member of the Chow Chow Club, of which I am happy to saw we are.
Well my owner Frans van Heerden was not at home and the maid or "ousie" as she called herself answered the phone This is the conversation that took place between Carol and Ousie: ...Ring Ring... "Hello, wie is dit? Said the Ousie. Carol replied "Is the Master of Misses there" "Nee hulle is by die Werk" I'm phoning about the puppies, " Ja Misses dare is eight van hulle", Vier
swart, drie rooies en n' silver een Ja net soos n' donker grys" "A grey puppy?" "Ja misses, hy is baie mooi en baie stout". "Asseblief give the master my phone number and se vir hom om my te bel tonight" "Ja misses what is your name? "My number is 6141465 and my name is Carol""O.K. Misses ek sal vir hom se"

Well that evening my owner phoned Carol and they realized that they had met before at the Chow Chow Show when the Smooth Chow won her first C.C. They had a long talk about Chow Chow puppies and especially about me. She asked my birth date and my name which is'" Forceman' who my parents are and who my grand parents as well as my great grand parents were, and found a Desnuki line as well as the Acehill line. Both were good enough for Carol and she asked my owner not to sell me as she had been looking for a blue chow chow for a long time and that she would buy me, without seeing me.

Well on Monday my owner took me on a long drive from Kempton Park to Johannesburg only to find Carol had been transferred to the branch in Braamfontein for the day, due to the Black stay away. When we eventually arrived she was dumbfounded at me. You see although
I was only six weeks old I must say for myself that I have the most unusual blue coat which is very thick and outstanding, my legs are short and heavy and my body is very square. My only disadvantage is that my face is not square as well, but I have lovely clear eyes and a permanent Chow Chow grin on my lips. I must admit I think I am a lovely Chow Chow and if my coat continues to grow as it is now, I my just take best coat at our future show one day. I am a true blue, my tongue is blue, my nose is blue, and my pads of my feet are blue.

Carol paid for me and took me home by bus. This was a strange journey, and we had to climb to the top of the bus to find a seat. I never cried at all and fell asleep on her Lap.

Once home, I was to meet the rest of the family, Rick took me and examined me all over and he approved of what he saw. "A very nice puppy he said" then it was Christeen's turn, she also agreed that I was very nice, Robin then had his turn of holding me and he also fell in love with me. The whole time this was going on I just kept wagging my little bushy tail. It was then time for me to meet the other puppies, That is Tessa's puppies. They are Shaka, Dominique, Megan and Sascha. They all sniffed me and agreed that I was acceptable and allowed me to share their dinner with them. I then played with them for an hour before; their mother Tessa was allowed in to meet me. Well she just gave me a lick, said to me that I would do and not to be afraid, while she was around and that she would love me like my own mother. A tear came to my eye thinking of my mother, but Aunt Tessa licked it away, turned over and invited me to have a warm drink of milk from her milk bar. And said that I was now one of her own. She keeps trying to steal Ladies puppies as well but Lady won't let her near them.
I am happy in my new home, with my black brother and sisters, I am 2 weeks older then them but they are as big as me already so we all play quite well together. I am a little bit cleverer then them at the moment. I do hope I will be allowed to go to the Shows with the others in May
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

At last, Carolyn, I have got down to reading this post. We have been very busy in the U.K. with the General Election and the County Council Elections - canvassing, delivering leaflets etc.
I love it but what I intend to do tomorrow is print all the stories off and read them at my leisure, at a more comfortable angle than at the computer.
Brilliant! I love the last bit about the little blue chow being given a drink of milk by Tessa!! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dogs in my bed

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Judy I tried to email some photos to you but the message came back that it could not be delivered to you please let me know your correct email address.
Thanks Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441