Help needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Help needed

Post by WildThings »

I'm so sorry your poor boy is going through this. I posted this a long time ago, but here are some organizations that you may want to check out. Many of them require you apply for a care credit card (something you do have to pay back, but has low interest rate and breaks the payment up into more managable amounts) but these organizations also have grants set up for individuals in your situation.
I did some more digging and found the name and web address for the other organizations that may be able to help.

http://www.imom.org ...this is supposed to be one of the more helpful sites. They offer grants to qualified applicants to help with vet bills.
http://www.aahahelpingpets.ort
http://www.thepetfund.com
http://www.carecredit.com ....this is actually kind of like a credit card type deal. They give you an amount that you can charge on the program. It does have to be paid back but it is either low interest or no interest at all. For anyone else interested, this is also an option for people needing to visit the doctor or dentist and cannot afford it.
http://www.help-a-pet.org
http://www.handicappedpets.com
http://www.uan.org
http://www.nysave.org ...my understanding is this is a New York aid only
http://www.angels4animals.org/

Again, I cannot guarantee anything, but these organizations were created to help people in your situation. Also, it is complete acceptable to call around to any vets in your area and ask them about prices and payment options. If your regular vet cannot work out arrangement call around and see if anyone else can. The worst they can do is say no.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

What everyone says, and oh yeah- get a lawyer and sue those bastards. Even if they refuse to pay after being sued, you can have their wages garnished. Definitely, take it local- call the newspaper and tell them you want to speak to someone about a human interest story. The same may work with a local TV news program. All they can say is no if they don't want to do the story. Good luck, poor Bear didn't deserve that.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

yep yep hubby says sue them too! :evil:
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I agree: sue them. I hate to contribute to our litigious society but this is not a frivolous lawsuit, it is just you attempting to make them responsible for their actions (lack of training and control of their dog).

And here is a site where you can easily set up a collection. If you do so, make sure to register your site with the major search engines, post it on as many other sites as you can and include it in the press releases you send to your local media. (Often times local papers will print your press release after checking facts so write your own and find out who is the features editor at your local paper. Contact that individual directly.) http://www.fundable.com/faq
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Any news on Bear?
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Hey y'all! Thanks for the well wishes...it really helps through this very trying time.

As of yesterday, the vet says Bear is a vastly different guy. His swelling has gone down noticeably, his wounds are not draining as much as they were and he seemed more active. While he still cannot walk very well, he is trying to put some weight on the damaged hind leg. There was some concern about his protein levels, but the doc seems to think it's probably related to all of the IV fluids and pain meds he's been on this whole time.

They have tried about 4 times to replace Bear's leg into the hip socket, but it always pops back out. Surgery will more than likely be necessary to repair this damage, but the vet says we're at least 3 weeks out from making the determination on the type of surgery needed.

If all goes well today, Bear has a chance to come home this afternoon.

Then, comes the money fight. I have no idea what I'm going to do about it, as I sure don't have $1500.00, but my thought process is, "What're they gonna do? Keep my dog?"

Thank you everyone who has gone out of their way to help me save this wonderful dog. He has never given up through this whole thing and even the vet has said that he should be dead with the injuries he sustained. Sometimes a will to live is enough.
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Sorry to hear about Bear, but glad he is doing a little better, hopefully when he gets home it will help his state of mind.

Last year a young lady and her dad showed up at my house armed with a mower and weedeater. They were raising money for their dogs surgery. Of course when you tell most people that you end up with a little more than what you asked for. They got a good tip from me because I really liked the idea that they cared about their dog as much as I do.!!

Also, bake sales, great idea!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm so sorry to hear about Bear, but I'm relieved to hear he's doing better. I hope he can get home soon. the others have so many wonderful suggestions. I especially like the idea about contacting the local media, I think that's a wonderful idea.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

I just went to the vet to get Bear and here's how he looks. He's trying to rest but is not doing well. The bill to date? Two Thousand dollars.

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Have you tried any of the links for help?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Poor little guy...hopefully being at home lifts his spirits enough to get past this.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Poor sweetheart. Like Fillyok said, hopefully being home will help. Any luck with the links?
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

kingalls wrote:Have you tried any of the links for help?
Oh yes.

There has been one condition on top of the other as to why any organization cannot help. My vet doesn't take Care Credit, the Save U.S. Pet Foundation doesn't help outside of New Jersey, the Pet Fund does not help in emergent situations, the MARL does not donate funds as they are fund raising themselves, the ASPCA had said this situation does not qaulify, the Humane Society said that they cannot help monetarily...and on it goes.

The quick and dirty is that I am trying to plead hardship to my bank to try and get a loan. No easy feat, when I had to declare bankruptcy last year due to my OWN medical bills.

Since I have been unable to get any help to make a dent, I will be returning any donations made directly to me very shortly (thank you SO much for your generosity, fillyok!) and will continue to try and find some way to take care of this.

Bear thanks all of you for the words of encouragement!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If you can't get enough money together for Bears Treatments what are the plans for him. Is there any estimate on the full amount to get Bear back in shape, right now I guess its at $2000.00 if you can get a thousand I will match the $1000.00 that will give you the $2000.00 but how much more after that, is it going to go in to thousands more? If you can get a close estimate of all expenses to get Bear back on his feet maybe we can go from there. There are 3 thousand members on this site a dollar each would be fine. Before you start sending donations back lets see what we can come up with.

I'm basically offering to help because I think you and Bear especially Bear got screwed in all this so its more on Principle then generosity.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

It seems crazy on your vet's behalf that he doesn't take credit care.... surely that would be better than not being paid !?!

Poor Bear, I bet he's pleaased to be home though!
Thank you Elodie!
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Jeff,

Bear's convalescence will be long and probably costly. My immediate concern is getting the money for his emergency care to keep him alive. That bill is $1950.00 some odd dollars. He will have to have surgery in the near future to repair the damaged rear leg...as the doc put it, he will basically have to have an artificial hip. I feel pretty sure I can find a resource to do this when the time comes for either an extremely reduced price or free, by setting something up with either a Veterinary school or a local vet who has been known to do pro bono work from time to time. And when the time comes for surgery, I also will have the "luxury" of finding a vet who will either take Care Credit or work out something more flexible.

I had no real choice of where to take Bear after the attack and certainly couldn't take him out of the current vet's care after he had been admitted, so the lump sum payment hurts a bunch and is proving to be next to impossible...which is why I turned to the Internet community as a whole, thinking like you did; a few thousand people who were willing to contribute one dollar and problem solved.

Your offer is EXTREMELY generous and certainly it wasn't my intent for any one person to carry this load.
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Oh, and for what it's worth, I wrote a check for 300.00 to get them to let me take him home, which I am covering through a cash advance place.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I just talked to your vet and office manger Bear is in good hands so I would just stay with them for right now, after talking to them I would have no problem taking my Chow to them. Sounds like they are more of a vet hospital then just a vets office they are all up to date on Cancer treatments and seem to know what's what, very professional office and staff. I don't think your going to do much better then them.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chowwoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowwoman »

There are 3 thousand members on this site a dollar each would be fine. Before you start sending donations back lets see what we can come up with.
I can't send as much as Jeff (God bless him) but I'm sending a little.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Nuke, if were going to be running a webathon for Bear were going to have to provide some entertainment, you want to through in one of your songs here.

ImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

What type of memo should I put on the check for the vet? I am sure they have tons of "Bears" as patients.

Also, can you tell us how much you have raised so far so we have a number to go with?
ImageImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

CCM,

If you like, you can put "Bear Randall" as a memo. They will know what to do.

As of this afternoon, there have been donations in the amount of $60.00 from very kind hearted people. Add my $300.00 to that, and the balance is somewhere around $1600.00.

Thank you so much for asking.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Would you prefer we send the donations directly to the vet or to you? If we send them to the vet, we could pm you with the amount so you can keep track.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

GmeMstr wrote:CCM,

If you like, you can put "Bear Randall" as a memo. They will know what to do.

As of this afternoon, there have been donations in the amount of $60.00 from very kind hearted people. Add my $300.00 to that, and the balance is somewhere around $1600.00.

Thank you so much for asking.

The office staff and manager have two differant amounts, the office staff is saying around $1900.00 and the office manager is saying $1500.00 and some change.

Some people don't like using Pay-pal including myself so I think you can just call what ever amount into the vet as long as its credit card or ATM.

Animal Health Center
1146 Highway 51,
Madison, MS 39110
(601)856-8317

Please help us save Bear. Mauled by a Pit-Bull

ImageImage
GmeMstr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GmeMstr »

Certainly, whichever is easier for the individual. I have spoken with the Care Center and they are aware that some very caring and generous people may be calling them to inquire about Bear and I have let them know that they can give out any information they wish.

As I mentioned before, if anyone has an issue with sending a contribution directly to me, I do not mind in the least that it goes to the hospital. At the end of the day, that's what we need help with!

In light of Jeff's last post, I will call them in the AM and get an actual amount. It certainly can't be $1900.00 as that was the total and I've already paid them $300.00! ;)

Again, I cannot thank each of you enough for helping get Bear well...whether monetarily or in spirit.