Collar/Walk Question

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Collar/Walk Question

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I'm curious at to what kinds of collars everyone has for their chows. I've tried a few and all I can say is that Special Dark has really developed his escape artist abiities. :shock: I know that's my fault for being a whimp. I'm having trouble figuring out just how much room he should have inside the collar, I'm constantly worried it will be too tight. :cry:

Also, do you take the collar off inside or leave it on? My husband and I go back and forth on this one. Since we live in an apartment we think it would be a good idea to keep it on (in case there's an emergency repair in the builiding and someone comes in... and Special goes out, etc), but I like letting him be without it indoors. Is this bad?

Lastly, I was wondering how you all managed to master the art of letting your chows walk you? :wink: My husband has better luck, but Special most definety without question absolutely always walks me. LOL. I get leash burn almost everyday. We're starting a training class later this month, but I wondered if you had any tips or methods that have worked for you. At 46 pounds, Special is on the small side, but he sure has a way of dragging me wherever he wants! I'm so embarrassed!! :oops: :D :D

As usual, thanks so much for all the advice for us novice chow friends!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I do not have collars for Milly and Mabel. I have harnesses for them.
I understand your poroblem about not having a collar on and him going walkabout - I worry a little about the same thing but we have decided not to have them with collars inside the house.
Regarding him pulling, do you have areas where you can walk him with a long lead. We have 27ft. long pony lunge reins and we loop the excess lead up in our left hands and hold the lead at whatever length is necessary in our right hand. Does that make sense to you?!! :roll:
It means that when we are able to let M & M have a good length of lead, they can bumble along without us, sniffing their own sniffs and minding their business and away from us, but we still have control and can reel them in. :lol:
They love it and when we get to a road area where we need to hold them by us for fear of them stepping of the pavement onto the road and getting mown down by a car, they accept it.
They seem to love the freedom of being "in charge" when we can let them and there is no stress. :)
They are both on the small side like your boy but goodness are they strong and they can really hurt - before we got the long leads, Milly really used to hurt my hand.

(If you click on the picture you can see a bigger view)

Here is a picture of Fred holding them in the park whilst I take the photo. As you can see, we can allow them full extent of 27ft. right down to being held right close to us. :) Little baggages!

I don't know about the extendable leads - I looked at them in the pet shops and they looked very flimsy to me.
Last edited by Judy Fox on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

No collars inside or out. We use a training harness w/ leash attachment in the front. I think it is called SENSE-ation harness. It is said to be better at stopping the dog pull as a reactionary move than the back clip harness. The instructions state that it is not to be used for running or tie-out, tho. LEO doesn't pull much except when she sees birds and I ran along w/ her when possible in the park. Her or our biggest problem is LEO sitting down(watching dogs, birds, people, cars, lights, etc.!) and not move when I want her to move. :roll: She has once pulled herself backward out of a harness, but hasn't learned it, sweet brains!

We use an extendible lead Zenimal Sidewalker. It is not too long at 15ft, but gives her time to sniff things a bit and catch up. The extendible bit is a tape rather than a thin rope and for that reason the shop assistant recommended it.

I keep the tags at home in her vet file, too heavy. Hope to have her microchipped when she gets "fixed" after she finishes w/ her first & early heat.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

both my two where rolled woven collars 24/7 with all their tags and id, ( I also live in an apartment) These collars don't cut or matt their fur, I make sure that I can get three fingers between the collars and their necks at all times. Any loser and they can get them caught on something. For Darkwind who walks well on a leash, this is all the collar he needs, Firesong wears a "gentle leader" for walking because she pulls too much in anything else.

I use a normal 6' leash for them, I don't like the retractable leads I've seen them become worn and all of a sudden the dog is lose. Also I always have the lope end of the leash around my wrists, and you can't do that with the handles on the retratables, this gives me more control and more insurance that they can't pull the leash out of my hand. Sometimes when it's nice out I use two 22' training leads, they think they are free...but they aren't and that's the important thing, however I should warn you that if you read the fine print on leash rules for your city you may find that anything over 6' is actually illigeal.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

When I use a collar with Cody, I use a rolled oil leather collar. Doesnt leave ring around the neck as bad. He doesnt wear it in the house though. We keep it hanging by the door with his leash. when we travel with him, i will usually put a harness on him. good luck
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone! I have tried the "gentle leader" and Special Dark has gotten out twice! :roll: We do use a lead when we're at the park, and it works pretty well, but Victory, you're absoluetly right and even within our apartment complex they do not allow them. So it's a challenge when we're just out for a quick potty break! Sigh.

Judy, I loved the photo! Milly and Mabel are darlings!!! I have to say that besdies spending time with Special Dark, coming to this forum to see all the great pictures and read all the great accounts and advice is my favorite thing to do! Thanks eevryone!! :D
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Thanks everyone! I have tried the "gentle leader" and Special Dark has gotten out twice! :roll:
The trick to a gentle leader is that it should fit tight across the nose, with only a little room and the part that goes around the back of the head should be really tight, like only a finger can squeeze in there, and with all that hair it's tough to get it right on a chow. I have to check it when she's blowing her coat too or it gets too lose and she can take it off as well. And then of course when she's in full coat I have to loosen it again. If you're not sure about the prober fit, have your vet help, they used to be the only ones that could sell them.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TigerTiger
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TigerTiger »

We stay in our condo in the city during the week, but Tiger never wears his collar when his inside. And now, we basically just use a harness that could also hook up with sitebell when he rides in the car. I prefer harness over collar as Tiger had lost lots of hair around his neck this past winter due to his allergy. And I also find the harness give me better control over Tiger during the walk.
Purple kisses from Tiger xxxxxx

Karen, Pablo & Tiger
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

I use different collars at different times. In the house, none of the three chows wear collars - nor do they when they're out in the back (fenced) yard playing. This prevents the possibility that Khana will get her jaw hung up in a collar (she likes to bite on the collars so that's a definite possibility) as well as keeping the hair around their necks from matting. Because I show Khana in conformation, it's important for her coat to be in good shape. My yard is fully fenced and while there's always a chance dogs will get out somehow, it's extremely unlikely.

If we're out front, the dogs wear either rolled leather or martingale collars. I like the martingale collars because when there's no pressure on the collar they loosen and don't matt the hair as much. In addition, if I'm working on-leash, the collar tightens enough so it can't be pulled off, but I set it so that it doesn't choke at all.

I don't use harnesses, and that's in part because the dogs have to be accustomed to working on leash with a regular collar to show them in performance events. I do have tracking harnesses when I'm working tracking. I have heard absolutely wonderful things about the Gentle Leader harness, which I believe is similar to the Sense-ation harness already mentioned. I may get one for Khana so that those days when my wrists and hands are really sore I have some extra leverage without much pain (on my part).

We do a lot of off-leash work, so if I'm just heading out the door to the van I don't have to leash the dogs most of the time. Same with going for a walk down to the fishing lodge - I rarely leash the dogs for that. I just have to check for moose before we head out!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

I have a regular leather collar for Koda, but am going to be getting a rolled leather collar for him because the regular collar is starting to cause me problems with his mane. I also use a 6 ft. nylon lead. Nothing fancy, but it works for us. :)
Nancy and Tai

Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

I started using the sensation harness for Chewie too on the advice of people on this site. I love it. He responds so well to it. I usually keep a rolled leather collar on both of them too when we are out walking that has all of their identification on it just in case! They are both microchipped but I would like people to be able to see where they belonged right away. I don't use a collar inside for the same reasons as some of the others on the site.

Chewie & Cayenne have both been through basic obedience training and trot right at my side during a walk. Cay never pulls, chewie will occasionally. Chewie was a puller when first started walking him as a pup, but after lots of work on the heel command, he marches like a pro. He walks a little better with me than my husband - he likes to keep a brisk pace like I do... my husband likes to walk at a liesurely pace so he's always askin dad to hurry up! Cay was a show pup so she was trained at a early age as well.

good luck!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
Samorrathis
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Samorrathis »

I also use the SENSE-ation harness, and I just ordered a small rolled leather collar to keep his ID tags on (see my post I highly recomend the hand made one, you can have a thinner chollar and still have the size). We are going to microchip him this month now that my vet finally has it.

We are still working on Nanuk not being a power horse. He does great with with husband overall but I still need work :lol: The harness works well and has really helped us with him pulling. When he pulls it acually pulls around his chest and he eases off. It can all be explained here http://www.softouchconcepts.com/ if you are interested.
Image___________________________
Christine & Nanuk
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thaks everyone, you've given us a lot of options! :D We're going to keep his collar off indoors and keep working on the gentle leader. I'm aslo going to look into some of the other prodcuts you've all recommended. With teh advice we've received, hopefully, one day Special Dark will stop walking me and we can just walk together! :lol:
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

What I was told by a couple of trainers to stop with the pulling and it did work. It took a little patience but it did work, I should say.

She pulls, the walk stops. When she finally makes eye contact with me, I tell her "wait" but you can use any word that is comfortable for you. Then we start again. If she walks nicely we keep going, as soon as the pulling starts again, we repeat. She quickly learned, pulling means we don't go anywhere.

The other thing I was told was if she's pulling it's always best to suddenly change directions on her, that way she's following.

These things did work and were gentle and postive, no choking or anything like that.

I use the Size Right harness. I love it because where the leash attachs it swivels so the leash doesn't get all caught up. She wears it a lot in the house but mostly just because we are in and out a lot. It sort of has made a "ring" around her mane but I think if she took it off more it wouldn't have done that.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Regarding the harnesses we have for M & M, here is a picture of them wearing them.
and here is another of our daughter's dog Hector trying to boss Mabel!! :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Hey! I asked the same question when I first got Jasper! Based on the boards' advice, I got him a rolled nylon collar for his tags, which he wears all the time. When we walk, I use a martingale. I really like the martingales because they can't slip over their heads. I ordered one off amazon.com - I suspect finding one big enough at a pet store might be difficult.

It seems to work very well and his fur is not getting all tangled up.
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone, we've picked up a lot of great tips, I'll be taking Special dark to try the "if you pull, we're stopping" method in a few minutes!!

I've heard good things about the martingales, but I've also heard they can slip out of them fairly easy. Should I be concerned?

I guess we'll just keep trying everything until we find what works. I really like the harness idea also. Tomorr we start training class, so we'll see how that goes! :wink:

Judy, your pictures are the best!!!!!!! :D :D
marlamaples
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marlamaples »

I've been using a Choke Collar with the pronges for ever and Coby pulls every once in a while but I tried the harness and he ends up taking me for a walk with that.

I think with a collar you have more control over the neck if you have a pulling problem if you don't have a pulling problem then a harness is just as good.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two wear the harness. I was able to put all their tags on one of the rings. To keep the tags from making so much noise, I rubber banded them. For the walks in the dark, we have the pet blinkers - a bright led (dffierent colors available) and that helps people see that we are walking the Chows. Mr. N is a runner and he especially loves to take the street corners in a good pace. Shiloh & my husband are usually half a block behind us. Shiloh is everywhere - she loves to sniff everything but trots in between sniffing areas. We don't mind them running us (the leashes are 6 ft nylon) but on the warmer days, we make them walk. I have been trying the suggestion by Willowchow. When Mr. N tries to start running or a fast trot, I stop and tell him "walk". I find I'm having to say it less each time, he's finally understanding what I mean by "walk"...This seems to work with "no cats" a little more each time.
Karen, Shiloh, & Mr. N
Odessa's mum
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Odessa's mum »

I use the choke collar too for Odessa, she would get all upset with the harness and get out of the other two regular collars I got her. The choke collar works well and in fact of late she has been walking home from our morning walks by heself, I leave the leash and pick it up only if I see a squirrel or anything she will get upset over and decide to chase.
The only porblem I find with it is that her fur gets messed up with the collar, and she wears it only on her walks, no collar at home.

Mildred
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I use a front lead harness for Gracie and have a long leash for her. Depending on where we are walking, I either wrap it around my wrist to keep her closer to me or if we are in a area she is able to explore I give her nearly all of it. She's been great with her walks since moving here. She only pulls when she see's a cat, rabbit or squirrel, or when she really wants to sniff a certain tree.
I dont know that I'll keep this style for to much longer. If she gets spooked bad enough, I'm afraid she could duck her head just right and slip right out of it.