Moderator: chowadmin

Stacey
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Time owner..

Post by Stacey »

Hi,
Ok so im new to this.. :oops:
I have been looking for a new member of my family to join me and my partner and I have always wanted a dog... I was googling chow chows and I dont think I have ever seen an animal so beautiful in my life...
I just have a few questions about it.. I know that I will be a great owner but I am having trouble finding a chow in Australia... and if i do find them they are on the other side of the country!!!

I am also wondering the cost of them and how much I am looking at paying for one in $aus dollars?

and any helpful hints that will make my experience better would be great.. I also have 2 cats.. Will this be a problem or will it be ok???
thanks!!!!!
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First Time owner..

Post by ChowLady »

Where abouts in Australia are you? Here is a list of breeders in Australia
http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/bre ... w-chow.asp
Kathy
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

A lot of Chow Chows on this site get along with cats. Chows are just like any other dog - some will like cats, some won't. If you got a puppy, it wouldn't be a problem. Holden doesn't like cats that I know of, but that is because he's never been around one and I think he thinks they are large rabbits or squirrels :wink:
ImageImageImage
Stacey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stacey »

Im in Brisbane Australia.. I have been on that dogzonline site and really found nothing.. The people that do breed in Brisbane have not replyed to my emails.. maybe they dont think I am serous about getting a Chow...
I dont mind having to travel to go and get one either...
From what I can see the chow chow is a dog that iis really hard to look after and has many health issues..
and people that have not hada chow before should not get one... But i want one badly and I know that I will be the best mum in the world as I love animals more than what I love my Partner!! haha!!
Do they have specail dietry requirements and am I going to have a problem living in a very hot country with them???
O:)
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Welcome! :D
We have several members on here that live in Australia. I know one, Wilburs mum is on holiday right now but I am sure someone will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable breeder.
Many Chows live just fine in hot climates. I am in the southern US where it is awful for 6 months a year but mine just spend most of their time inside with the AC and do walks very early or late.
As far as health issues the breed is prone to some issues...hip dysplasia and entropian to name two but if you buy from a good breeder who health tests you cut your risk. I have never had either issue with my Chows, but some do.
I'm sure some of the local people will help you out! Good luck!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There is alot more to owning a Chow then Beauty I would read as much as you can about the Chow breed before you get one. A chow is not a run fetch do as I say type of breed. You won't find a better breed then the Chow but thinking Dog has got to go if you want to live happily ever after.

How hot is Hot, my two chows have spent the day laying outside in a 100 plus weather even tho then can walk in and out at any time. Ziggy lives in Phoenix, if there is any place on earth hotter then phoenix then you have died and gone to hell so the chow you get will be use to living in hot weather. A safe temperature is around 75 after that plenty of water and cut the exercise (walks) way down. to me its a matter of where the Chow lives and what it is use to.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Jeff&Peks wrote:How hot is Hot, my two chows have spent the day laying outside in a 100 plus weather even tho then can walk in and out at any time. Ziggy lives in Phoenix, if there is any place on earth hotter then phoenix then you have died and gone to hell so the chow you get will be use to living in hot weather. A safe temperature is around 75 after that plenty of water and cut the exercise (walks) way down. to me its a matter of where the Chow lives and what it is use to.

Are you sure you are not hiding something from us?
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

PurpleKisses wrote:
Jeff&Peks wrote:How hot is Hot, my two chows have spent the day laying outside in a 100 plus weather even tho then can walk in and out at any time. Ziggy lives in Phoenix, if there is any place on earth hotter then phoenix then you have died and gone to hell so the chow you get will be use to living in hot weather. A safe temperature is around 75 after that plenty of water and cut the exercise (walks) way down. to me its a matter of where the Chow lives and what it is use to.

Are you sure you are not hiding something from us?
I gave that a thought before I said it but it was easier then telling two strories of two Chows doing the same thing. Plus she is new so has no idea who Pekoe and Onyx are.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Chows are unique. They are beautiful. They tend to be aloof, independent and stubborn as well. If you want a dog that will play fetch, do everything you ask without question/reward/repetition, and always be at your feet then I would look elsewhere. If you want a dog that doesn't need constant attention, is loyal and protective, will mystify you at times, and is often sure they know better than you do, a chow could be for you. That doesn't mean that chows can't be trained, they just need to know what is in it for them.

I love my chows and will always have chows but they are definitely not for everyone.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Vlad_Priest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Vlad_Priest »

chow fancier wrote:Chows are unique. They are beautiful. They tend to be aloof, independent and stubborn as well. If you want a dog that will play fetch, do everything you ask without question/reward/repetition, and always be at your feet then I would look elsewhere. If you want a dog that doesn't need constant attention, is loyal and protective, will mystify you at times, and is often sure they know better than you do, a chow could be for you. That doesn't mean that chows can't be trained, they just need to know what is in it for them.

I love my chows and will always have chows but they are definitely not for everyone.
I agree. I also think you have to be just as stubborn or more than they are. :lol:
Joe
"Truth has become a lie, while lying has become the only truth we choose to accept."
wantachow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wantachow »

I agree with everything that has been said so far! Doing your research on the breed (any breed you choose to get) is a must. Chows are very unique dogs, I just got my first one a week ago infact. So I am no "pro"; but I did do alot of reading and also have a breed similar, the Chinese Shar Pei. Just keep in mind, they are very beautiful but in order to keep them looking that way, it takes regular brushing sessions, good food and care; and ofcourse be prepared to put alot of time and energy into socialization. You want a pretty dog, but also a well socialized one, and healthy one! Check out those health tests! Good luck finding a little chowling, they are truly a blessing!
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

I have lived in Queensland and I am now living in South Australia, you will need to keep your chow inside in the cool in summer. The chow does feel the heat bad and with Australia having a harsh climate they need the cool. I have 5 chows in our family and in summer they spend most of the time inside with the aircon going to keep them cool, in summer our aircon goes 24/7 for the chows. So you will need to take that into account as well. I know the chows are cute and lovely but they are not like other breeds of dogs. They can be stubborn and take a strong willed person at times to own them. They are prone to hot spots, and this is something you really have to watch, and they also need grooming because of their double coat. My advice to you would be do as much reading up on the chow as you can before you even think of getting one, so as that way you know what is ahead.
Kathy
Stacey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stacey »

I am sorry if i have put across the wrong image... I realise that there is more to a dog than its looks, I have been researching different dogs for a while and I have settled on the Chow becuase they dont seem to be like any other dog... I realise they are alot of hard work but that is what im looking for in a way.. From what i have read they are not a dog they are a family memeber and what else could you want than an animal that needs your love and attention and only then will it except you as their leader... I dont just want a dog that loves you when it wants feed or a pat... I dont want a dog that is aggresive and thats what I have been told about the sharpei's even though Chows have been known to have their moments they are not breed for it..
I have been researching for over 6 months now and tho they are wonderful dogs you cant blame me ( a girl ) to want something pretty!!!

ps.. I love this website!! =D=
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Becoming a Chow owner means taking on more responsibility than becoming a dog owner...
- they need ALOT of CONTINUOUS socialization
- typical training methods do not work - you need to use positive reinforcement - and even then you may need to add a good reason for them to do what you're asking them to do
- Chows are pre-disposed to health issues like hip dysplasia, hot spots, etc. (in other words - more vet bills)
- spending a bit more time with keeping them groomed
Becoming a Chow owner also means
- having one of the most loyal family members you could ever ask for
- having the enjoyment of experiencing ZOOMIES
- having the most special purple kisses greetings when you get home
- having the honor of being chosen as "the one"
- having the support and experience of the members of this site
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Stacey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stacey »

I grew up on a farm around many dogs and animals and I know it cant really compare to a chow because I have never had one but I havbe had many pets and I know howe much hard work they are and thats what I want....
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Stacey I know personally of several good breeders here in Australia, I tried to send you a email message through here but couldnt as it would not let me. The lady which I got nearly all my chows through is great and there is no real health problems. I have had mnay chows over the years, ther only real problems I have had is the hot spots and thats not a lot. Or a couple of times when they have been doing zoomies, I have had on two different occasions that two chows have ripped their toe nails out and that was a vet trip.
Maybe you could contact me and I will let you know more.
Kathy
Stacey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stacey »

that would be great if you could let me know of their names...
what are hot spots?? and zoomies???
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

http://www.geocities.com/sengechow/

This is the website of Judith-Ann who is a member. Two of her chows are now owned by Rowlee and Mally, two other Australians. Wilbur and Lychee are beautiful chowlings (chow puppies).

Hot spots are skin irritations that have become open wounds and often infected. Chows are prone to skin allergies, both contact and food related.

And zoomies are one of the delights of being a chow owner. I have seen other breeds do them but only when puppies. When chows are in a playful mood, they tuck their bottoms under and run full out, often in circles and bouncing off obstructions including humans. They are hilarious to watch. And the chows are obviously having a great time.
Jerilyn

kingalls

Post by kingalls »

use the search feature to look up zoomies...
the link to my two doing a double zoomie: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... mie#p64559
they are so fun to watch - outside...inside, is scary but they have never missed a tight corner - they always clear the glass cabinets and other fragile stuff - they have never knocked anything over during a zoomie. :shock:
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

chow fancier wrote:http://www.geocities.com/sengechow/

This is the website of Judith-Ann who is a member. Two of her chows are now owned by Rowlee and Mally, two other Australians. Wilbur and Lychee are beautiful chowlings (chow puppies)
Lychee is from a different breeder in Melbourne... she is very very beautiful though :D

Maybhe contact J-A, I'm sure she'd be happy to help you find a breeder.
Thank you Elodie!
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Judith should be able to help you with finding a chow, I see that someone has already given you the side for senge chows and on that site you will find her email address.
Kathy
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Don't forget the ha-has! :D

Also, chows are NOT barkers so if a chow barks always check to see what's going on. ALso, trying to mildly scold a chow is like having an argument with a wall (as someone else here once said, they play the dumb-as-rocks card to their advantage) because they know when you really mean it and they know when they can get away with it. So determine ahead of time what you absolutely will NOT tolerate and stick to that. Everything else, as far as the chow is concerned, is up for negotiation.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Layla wrote:
chow fancier wrote:http://www.geocities.com/sengechow/

This is the website of Judith-Ann who is a member. Two of her chows are now owned by Rowlee and Mally, two other Australians. Wilbur and Lychee are beautiful chowlings (chow puppies)
Lychee is from a different breeder in Melbourne... she is very very beautiful though :D

Maybhe contact J-A, I'm sure she'd be happy to help you find a breeder.
My error, I remembered the two as related and assumed litter siblings. So is my memory totally flawed or are they related in some way?
Jerilyn

Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

kingalls wrote:Becoming a Chow owner means taking on more responsibility than becoming a dog owner...
Becoming a Chow owner also means
- having one of the most loyal family members you could ever ask for
- having the honor of being chosen as "the one"
- having the support and experience of the members of this site
I love all of these.

Holden is indeed my most loyal family member. If he thinks my husband is hurting me, he will bite my husband (his daddy!)
nean007 wrote:ALso, trying to mildly scold a chow is like having an argument with a wall (as someone else here once said, they play the dumb-as-rocks card to their advantage) because they know when you really mean it and they know when they can get away with it.
Had to laugh at this. Oh so true!
ImageImageImage
sengeoz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sengeoz »

Hi Stacey,

If you haven't found a Chow pup yet, please don't despair.

There are only about 30 registered Chow breeders in the entire country. Two of those breeders often have pups, while more breeders have about one litter a year (like me); others fall in between. Add to that the fact that Chows, on average, only have 3-4 pups in a litter - sometimes more - in fact, a singleton litter (only one puppy) is as common as a litter of 6.

Rather than sending emails, you are more likely to get a better response by picking up the phone and ringing around. First, I would suggest you contact Dogs NSW and Dogs Victoria and get the puppy officer contact details for both the NSW & VIC chow clubs. Not all, but most breeders in Australia belong to one or both clubs - those are the only Chow clubs in Australia.

Then contact the puppy officers and ask them to send you a copy of the Breeders' List. Once you have those lists, contact the breeders to see who has or is expecting a litter and see if you can get on their waiting list. Ask questions and be prepared to answer questions.

All the best,
Judith-Ann

PS: The two most active breeders are Elizabeth Simpson in Victoria & Shirley Chinnery in WA, followed by Margaret Turner in NSW
Judith-Ann
Sengé Chows, VIC (Australia)