Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

User avatar
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 8386
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Los Angeles,, CA

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Jeff&Peks » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Its not just you, everyone says rescue's then when people are looking for a Chow they go to a rescue instead of checking their local shelters or any shelters. My neighbor had to put his 15 year old lab down last week, the other day he was driving by and ask if I knew where he could get another Lab I said sure check any shelter they have all kinds of Labs, His response was, "Don't the dogs in shelters have something wrong with them like dieses and sickness, people drop them off to be put down", "isn't that the reason people give them to shelters I don't want a sick dog from a shelter" After setting him straight on shelter dogs I thought thats probably what most people think, dogs are in shelters because something is wrong with them, Stupid way to think but if your not up on shelters I could see why he thinks the way he does.

The reason I specified Shelter chow was because of what my Neighbor said.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

User avatar
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:14 pm
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Mally » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:58 pm

LEO's mum wrote:
Brandy and I are going to go back to reading about what Butters and Millie and Mabel and Layla and Chi-ching and Pekoe and Onyx and the rest of the bunch are up to now because it makes our day!
Just a small point but Layla is not a Chow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha ha... :lol: :lol: I just saw that too - so cute!
Image

User avatar
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 3030
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by sit_by_the_beach » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 pm

If only a select number of breeders were allowed to breed, less chows would end up in shelters. Unfortunately this is not an ideal world. I could not adopt a chow baby from a breeder knowing about the Annie's all across the USA or little Komiko In Canada who may have been a little kid's playpal at one time. I feel guilty having adopted an elderly pooch from the nearby shelter a couple of months ago, had I only been patient, I would adopted Komiko. What happened to the little kids who once owned these chows when they were pups? Grew up, left town, dump the old gals, just too inconvenient to care. Throw away society.
Sorry I went off the topic a bit.
Attachments
kimiko.jpg
kimiko.jpg (6.58 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
CO93.10885370-2-x.jpg
CO93.10885370-2-x.jpg (42.69 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Image
Image

mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:01 pm
Location: The Hood (now in Vallejo)
Contact:

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by mikkabear » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:23 pm

I "rescued" Mikka from a roommate who neglected her, she was a chow mix, and I grew up with a schnauzer who was also a rescue but a purebread, I think really what counts is the personality...
Natasha
Image
and
Cue
Image

User avatar
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 3599
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Layla » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:11 pm

Mally wrote:
LEO's mum wrote:
Brandy and I are going to go back to reading about what Butters and Millie and Mabel and Layla and Chi-ching and Pekoe and Onyx and the rest of the bunch are up to now because it makes our day!
Just a small point but Layla is not a Chow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha ha ha... :lol: :lol: I just saw that too - so cute!
Thank you LEO's mum :D However, just for the record I do know of a chow called Layla.... Which I'm happier with that my Mother was when she found out some friends named their pig after her :shock: :lol:
Image
Thank you Elodie!

User avatar
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 6320
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Judy Fox » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:51 am

I still like to read whatever Layla is up to - chow or not!! :roll:

However, back to the original subject - how refreshing to see this subject discussed in an adult and more kindly manner - as it should be.

I have two girls, litter sisters - as you know. Milly we bought from a breeder when she was six weeks old and before we start arguing about the age - yes we all know that was a bit too young but there was a reason. She was born way up in Cumbria in 2000 and the weeks before we brought her home, we had been having a lot of trouble with the delivery of petrol to the petrol stations. Farmers were blocking the refineries with their tractors etc. and there were strikes and protests because of the price of fuel. We had a tank of petrol and it was arranged that we go to meek the owner of Milly and Mabel's sire on the Sunday as there was another spate of protests etc. due to start on the Monday.

There were only two little girls in the litter and the sire's owner was having one and we were to have the other. So this we did - we met where she lived and brought Miss Milly Ching home as it was very much in the air as to where the petrol crisis was heading and how long it would last. It was predicted it would last weeks so that is why it was decided to bring the puppies to their new home a bit earlier than desirable. In the event, on the Monday evening, a solution was found and the crisis which had gong on for weeks was suddenly over!

When Milly was just six months old, I was having trouble with her feeding - she was being difficult so I telephoned the sire's owner and during the conversation she told me that she was looking for a home for the other bitch puppy - she told me that she was not shaping up at all for showing and breeding. I was shocked but asked if we could buy her so three days later, off we went again and bought Mabel home. So in effect, we have a breeder puppy and a rehome, rescue - whatever you like to call my precious girl. I hate to think that she might have been passed around from home to home maybe.

But chows are scarce here on The Island and when one of these girls decides to go to the Happy Hunting Ground, I will look for and get what is available. I would prefer a puppy but if there is an youngster or an adult who needs a kind home, that will be my course of action.
Image
and this picture was taken on the day we brought her home - at a service station where we stopped for a break.
Image
and this one taken the day after. She and Milly were thrilled to see each other and have been devoted to each other since.
Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:04 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by IliamnasQuest » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:59 am

WildThings wrote:Not every breeder is bad, but until we demand the highest possible standards from all breeders, we are all part of the problem, it’s too bad the innocent pay the price.
To me, this is the problem - not breeder vs. rescue.

I think ALL the chows on this site are very special to the people who live with them. I don't think any one chow is better than another. I think those who rescue are wonderful people, and those who help with rescue in whatever way they can are also wonderful people. But I absolutely, 100%, no doubt in my mind believe that if we don't have good breeders who are breeding for type, health and temperament, then we will lose what we know as the "chow". And to that end, I do believe that there's a necessity for breeders and for people who purchase from breeders.

I get tremendously irked at people who buy from bad breeders. It's one thing if you are new to the scene, don't know, don't think to research what makes a breeder good or bad. We've all made our mistakes and I'm no exception - twenty years ago, my first purebred dog (GSD) came from a BYB. But when someone is a member of this forum or on chow email lists and they KNOW that when they purchase from a breeder who doesn't health certify, doesn't believe in proving their dogs in any way, then as far as I'm concerned they are deliberately adding to the problem. They're financing a bad breeder who will take that money as confirmation that breeding is a profitable enterprise and that breeder is going to pump out as many puppies as possible - to the detriment of the breed and the individual bitches being bred. Some of these bitches are bred EVERY heat cycle for cycle after cycle after cycle - and who thinks to ask about that?

So it's very hard for me to think "breeder vs. rescue" when bad breeders are essentially providing dogs for eventual rescue. The good breeders that I know do NOT have dogs end up in rescue. Just because someone buys from a breeder doesn't mean that if they didn't buy from that breeder they would get a rescue instead. It's not that black and white. If I hadn't gotten Khana from the breeder I bought her from, it's unlikely I would have gotten a rescue instead. I just would have kept looking for the right breeder with the right puppy.

I'm on my eighth purebred dog, and I've only purchased two. The two I've purchased have been absolutely perfect dogs and I don't regret one tiny bit putting money out to try to avoid health and temperament problems. Trick, my GSD, is now 12 and has not had any health problems until recently. Khana passed all six OFA health certifications. My non-purchased dogs have been relatively healthy, but we've had our problems with degenerative myelopathy of the spine, elbow dysplasia, hypothyroidism, epilepsy, sudden rage syndrome, growth hormone responsive syndrome, entropion, and various temperament problems. So sometimes, in regards to health/temperament, you DO get what you pay for. Some people can deal with that. Others can't.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

User avatar
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:43 am
Location: Wausau, WI

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Dogdad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:29 am

Ugh.... The never ending debate. I see it in a very simplistic form. Without breeders, there wouldn't be PB chows available either privately or in shelters. The largest problem isn't the breeders or the rescues, it is the people who discard animals like they were trash. I have a 5 dogs, all from shelters, simply because that is my choice. I have no problems against breeders as long as they aren't puppymills and not purposely breed chows that they know have genetic defects. I am sorry that some breeders or owners of chows from breeders feel like they are being attacked. Please remember we all don't feel like this.

David

User avatar
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 2246
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: parts unknown

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by jacqui » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:35 am

=D=
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".

User avatar
shannlee379
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Clifton Park, NY
Contact:

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by shannlee379 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:18 am

Jeff&Peks wrote:People keep saying rescue and breeder, I break it down to Shelter, rescue and breeder. The way I see it SHELTER Chows should have top priority, Shelter Chows have about 7 days to live and being a Chow 7 days is Lucky. Rescue Chows are pretty much safe even though needing a home then comes the breeder Chow that stock piles the Shelters so it really doesn't matter where the Chow comes form most will wind up in the same place anyway, the shelter Chow should come first to make room for the next shelter shipment, like Baldwin, I pull two Chows then four Chows come in the next day.

I have had many dogs that I have "rescued", either from shelters or from owners who did not deserve the animals they had. I love dogs, all sorts, but for as long as I can remember I wanted a Chow. We were looking through shelters and foster facilities for a pup for about three weeks, when by chance I looked in the paper and saw a beautiful chow puppy for sale for only $450. The adoption fees were only $100 less than that and the puppy we were originally looking at was going to be offered to anoter family first. We decided to get Shelby only after I saw this site, came on and started asking questions. Because of everyone here I was able to do what was right for my girl before she came home. I got a personal trainer that came to our house, once a week for eight weeks. I knew at that time that one dog was not going to be enough, and I was also sad that I had not rescued as we were originally going to do. That is how we ended up with Missy. Even after she had bitten my husband and broke his hand, and even though I was scared of her for it, I would not let her go. My family was extremelly upset that I would allow her to stay in my house with my kids. I of course felt that if it was my child, knowone would be making me get rid of her, and I made evry excuse I could think of for her behavior. What finally made me see reason, was when she started attaking Shelby, and then one day my four-year old daughter was almost bitten in the face. I did what I thought was responcible, and accepting to the animal. I called the shelter and made arrangements for her to be returned, and asked them to make sure she went to a family without other dogs, and young kids.

I live in upstate NY, and around here, "Kill Shelters" are illegal. This was made so about three years ago. If the animal is in good health then it must be kept in shelter until a home is found. We also have many organizations who take animals into their programs and find them a forever home. If the animal is not in good health, then it is for a vet to decide to put the animal down, and only the vet can do that. There are vets that work at the shelters part time and are assigned by the state of NY and the Humane Society.

As someone in the other thread had said,"Breeder puppies usually end up in shelters anyway". Well, if thats the case then wouldn't it be irrsponcible of me not to concider giving even one puppy the very best life from the begining. I don't think your upset at the fact that people get puppies from breeders, but that there is a such thing as a breeder. Just like people who have kids, but for whichever reason has no ability to take care of them, or don't deserve the right of parenthood. These children end up in foster homes, and a ward of the state. Personally, if breeders did not exist, then there would be a shortage eventually of puppies placed in shelters. However, the big picture is that everyone, breeder or not, allows their animals to breed. My black lab, ten years ago, had 16 puppies. This was not my intention, nor was I thrilled about it. However, when I got the dog she was 2 years old, and she was a gift from my mother who insisted that she was not pregnant at the time. These things happen, and if they are all eventually going to end up in a shelter, who's to say those who are in shelter, these "rescues" your speaking of, did not come from a breeder to begin with, wether RHR or AKC.

A Chow is a Chow is a Chow.Wether I pay an extra $100 on one or an extra $450 on one is not the point. It is after all my money and my right. For the record, if I had to pay $950, we might be having a different dicussion, because I would never take that much money from my home and my kids, for any dog. I am only paying $500 for Jackson, and paid $450 for Shelby. The local adoption fees are $350 for rescue dogs. But again, it's not the money I am paying, but the choice to pay it.

I have rescued, and now at this point in my life I am looking forward to raising rather than rescuing. Sorry, if there are some who do not agree.
Shannon & Shelby...
Image

User avatar
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:26 am
Location: Rockford, IL

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by chow fancier » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:33 am

My first two chow girls were from a backyard breeder. I hadn't even heard the term at that point.

The two I have now are rescues (Cinder came from a shelter and Teddy I read about on here and he came to the rescue because I offered to foster).

I have loved them all.

Will I ever buy from a breeder again? Unlikely, because I am passionate about the homeless chows and in a position to care for them. Do I feel it is wrong to buy from a breeder? No, not if the breeder is reputable, performs health checks and really cares about the health and temperament of the breed. I suspect the majority of breeders do not meet that criteria, but I am cynical by nature. Would I prefer that everyone rescue? No, not everyone is suited to retraining, working through the issues the rescue brings with them. Do I applaud those that make the commitment to rescue? Absolutely! Do I think that those who buy from a breeder should be denigrated? Absolutely not!

That said, no matter where any member's chow came from or whether it is a purebred or a mix, I love them all and enjoy reading about them. I feel for the member when their chow is ill, hurt, lost, or passes to the next life. I laugh at the antics of some and cry at the plight of others. I love it when the members pull together to help one another, to provide support chow related or not. I appreciate all the insight into the chow offered here, all the support I received when Teddy first came to me and I wasn't sure what to do at times. It touches my heart when a chow is rescued and I suffer chowling envy when a new puppy comes home with a member. Even though I never met any member in person, when I am sitting with my computer in my lap and DH asks what are you doing? I tell him I am talking with my friends about their chows.

Lately though, I have been spending less time here and posting less because there does seem to be so much conflict, less respect for each other than I would like to see. It is possible to respectfully disagree, but some don't seem to understand that.

My personal credo comes from Gandhi who said: "Be the change you want to see in the world." So I will do my best to always be respectful, even when I disagree. I will adopt adult homeless chows for the rest of my life. I will offer support to all those here for the love of the chow, regardless of its origins. I will do my part to educate, in the hope that fewer and fewer chows will come from bad breeders and puppy mills. I will support rescue financially as I am able. And I will love all the chows, because how could I not?
Jerilyn
Image
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868

User avatar
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: brooklyn,new york

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by janet » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:00 am

what dogdad and jerilyn said.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image

User avatar
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 6320
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Judy Fox » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:15 am

janet wrote:what dogdad and jerilyn said.
I agree. :D
Image
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)

User avatar
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 3425
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by CoraP. » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:47 am

Since I am fairly new, I 'm not sure this is right or not, but it's my idea.It seems that things have turned more toward rescue lately because there seem to be SO many chows lately in shelters. Even the rescues are said to be at their limits. Especially in California. I am apalled when I happen to check that area of the country for chows needing homes. There are so many and the majority are so YOUNG!!! It seems such a horrible waste . That's my outlook on things, I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand

User avatar
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:29 am
Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by MickChick » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:38 am

Well, I still look forward to reading about Layla even if she isn'ta chow! :oops: I can't remember names on a good day, and after a glass of wine at night, or before my coffee in the morning, I'm hopeless!

My point being (and dogdad and somebody else who's name I've forgotten already and I have had my coffee and haven't had any wine! #-o ) said it best - we all love the dogs and that's what really counts. They shouldn't be punished or denigrated for how, where, when they were born, or whether they were rescued, be it from the street, an abusive neighbor, a rescue, or a shelter, or purchased as a puppy, from a backyard breeder, someone who accidently let their dog have puppies, or intentionally breeds for fun or profit or the betterment of the breed.

Do dogs/puppies in kill shelters need help more than dogs in rescue places or living with breeders? Of course, they have such a short pre-determined life left I didn' t know that before joining this board, (I knew that they might killed at some point, but I had no idea how short a time they were given!) I didn't know that dogs from a kill shelter in California can be shipped/transported to Georgia, or that there are people who are willing and able to help get them from Point A to Point B. In fact, I was under the (apparently erroneous) assumption that shelters and rescues would not allow people from a further distance to adopt their dogs (as quite a few rescues have that requirement and others that I could not meet). I drove 5 hours away to get Brandy. I'd have driven further to get her. I had thought about getting a small dog (never had one before) for various reasons, but did a lot of research on them and decided that I probably was not going to be the best home for one since they (for the most part - there are exceptions to every "rule"), appear to get stressed and suffer separation anxiety when they are alone for too long. Since I live alone and leave the house at 7:30 a.m., and don't return until between 5:30-6 each night, that didn't sound like a good idea. Since I've had chows, and know that they are independant, and don't seem to mind not having me around all the time, and since I simply love everything about the two that I've had, I decided I wanted another one, weight and size be damned. I had been watching the shelters in and around Savannah for chows, I had been looking on petfinder, and even looking at newspaper ads (I told you - I didn't KNOW what I know now!) and didn't see any! Then I saw Brandy and fell in love on the spot. I COULD have picked up any of the dogs at the shelter who needed a home, and saved them from death row, but for me, getting a dog is like adopting a child or getting married - I think it's for life, and I've got to go for one that I can commit to for life. Maybe that makes me a shallow person because I walked away from those sad eyes (that I still can see in my mind) who were looking for new forever homes, but I knew what breed I wanted and what I was willing to make that commitment to. I refuse to apologize for that. If we're going to the rescue the dogs in the shelter first route because they're going to die, then why only chows or chow mixes? They're ALL going to die if they're in a shelter and don't find homes. I think quite a few people do not want to adopt senior dogs of any breed because they know that they will get attached to them and that they won't be around that long due to their age; others don't want to adopt seniors because of the medical bills that are more likely to be coming sooner rather than later. In my mind, that doesn't make them BAD or evil. They know what they can deal with, that's all. My mother wouldn't even consider getting ANY dog after her beagle died because she never wanted to go through that kind of loss again. I'm more of a glutton for punishment, I guess, as long as it's punishment of my choice (chow!)

What the heck - I appreciate those who do and give so much to save the shelter dogs, the lost, the abused, the unwanted, of any breed. I appreciate anyone who cares for and protects their pets no matter where or how they acquired them, and I'm happy for the dog (chow) and the chow's happy new hooman!

Cecelia
Image
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham

User avatar
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 8386
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Los Angeles,, CA

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Jeff&Peks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 am

Using the excuse "With out breeders there would be no Chows is about as lame as saying "Without Illegal's nothing would get done in the US" that thinking is why we have the problems that we do and why nothing will ever change. So half the people can go on buying and the other half can keep on rescuing, the cycle will just continue untill the states take over and just shot the dogs in the streets like China does. Some US cities are already doing that with Pits, Its only a matter of time before Chows and other breeds are included.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

User avatar
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:28 am
Location: McDonough, GA
Contact:

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Tippsy'smom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:45 am

All I can say Jeff, is that if ANYBODY tries to hurt Tippsy, they WILL DIE.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in for that comment.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix

User avatar
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 8386
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Los Angeles,, CA

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Jeff&Peks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:48 am

Tippsy'smom wrote:All I can say Jeff, is that if ANYBODY tries to hurt Tippsy, they WILL DIE.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in for that comment.
Forget the 2 cents worth at least go for a dollars worth, you can't even buy licorice for 2 cents anymore.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

User avatar
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:28 am
Location: McDonough, GA
Contact:

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Tippsy'smom » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:56 am

Shoot dollar stores have even gone up on prices. lol. It's a sad truth.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix

User avatar
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Coco Chow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:17 pm

I come on cc.org to share your stories and also for advice on how to keep Coco happy and healthy.

I just feel sad when I feel a finger is pointed at me, because I got Coco, when she was a puppy, and from a breeder.

I got her from a breeder and I don't regret buying her because she's all I wanted. FYI There is NO way I could have found her in a French shelter.

I got her as a puppy, but I will love Coco until her last breath, even when she'll have lost her shiny fur, even when she'll be too old to refrain herself from peeing in the house, even if I have human babies later, whatever comes our way, she's my little angel and I will make sure to always love and protect her.

I just feel sad really... but then, it's so easy to make people feel bad.
What do you do for the human kids dying from hunger in Africa? for the homeless down the road in your town? Do you have any children? because they are plenty in orphanages waiting for good parents.
It looks like bad, bad people all over this website?

We all love our chows. Some are just being narrow minded and it's a shame they talk louder than everybody else.
Elodie
Image
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/

User avatar
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 8386
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:29 am
Location: Los Angeles,, CA

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Jeff&Peks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 pm

"We all love our chows. Some are just being narrow minded and it's a shame they talk louder than everybody else"

Thats becouse theres more to complain about, if all the louder people had to say was "With out Breeders there would be no Chows" then the louder people wouldn't have anything to say eather. But then again it is much eisier to go buy a Chow then getting one out of a shelter or from a rescue.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage

User avatar
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1498
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Coco Chow » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Finding a good puppy from a good breeder costs a lot of time and money, I don't call that easy.
Elodie
Image
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/

User avatar
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:43 am
Location: Wausau, WI

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Dogdad » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Coco Chow wrote:I come on cc.org to share your stories and also for advice on how to keep Coco happy and healthy.

I just feel sad when I feel a finger is pointed at me, because I got Coco, when she was a puppy, and from a breeder.


I just feel sad really... but then, it's so easy to make people feel bad.
What do you do for the human kids dying from hunger in Africa? for the homeless down the road in your town? Do you have any children? because they are plenty in orphanages waiting for good parents.
It looks like bad, bad people all over this website?

We all love our chows. Some are just being narrow minded and it's a shame they talk louder than everybody else.
Elodie,

Please don't feel sad, I am certainly not pointing a finger at you or anyone. In the US we have a huge problem with homeless dogs, I don't think it is nearly as common in Europe. Some people are very short sighted and see things the only way they want in black and white, others see things differently. There are a lot of people here who have donated to homeless shelters, aid for Africa,plus hundreds of causes some have children and some have adopted. As a rule no one is a bad person here, Sometimes we just get carried away. Coco is a beautiful Chow and I am sure you do everything to make her life happy and full. I think sometimes we all spout off because we are so frustrated with the way things are going in our country, economy, kill shelters and the increase in the cost of living , crime . I believe many of us are so frustrated with what is going on we vent on something and say things we don't realize are harmful

David

wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 289
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Cedar Grove, New Mexico

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by wallacethegreat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:23 pm

I apologize for injecting myself into this discussion once again. I also apologize in advance to anyone who I may offend.
Here's what happens with shelter dogs. Not necessarily rescues, because those generally go right into foster homes where they are safe, at least for a while. I'm talking about "shelter" dogs." I'll focus only on Chows for now.
Obviously, all of these dogs were pups once. We all know that many shelter dogs end up there because of the usual excuses, like "I'm moving, I'm getting a divorce, etc." I'm talking about the Chows that end up in shelters because they come with an array of serious, and very expensive, health problems--entropion, laxating patellas, hip dysplasia and more.
Their owners either can't afford, or refuse, to provide medical care for these issues because it's, as many of us know, VERY expensive.
It's easier to raise a cute, chubby pup until it exhibits those expensive problems as a Chow-adult and just take it to the pound. These are the people who don't have the balls to make sure this "beloved" pet is euthanized with dignity if they can't afford to pay. They don't even bother to call a rescue and ask for help before throwing away a Chow they've had for years.
These are the people who put their hands on their hips and proclaim, incensed, "I'm not about to take money away from my kids to pay for this dog's problems!"
The Chow ends up at the shelter wondering..."What did I do to be here?" Where are my human children that I've played with for so many years? Did I do something wrong? Where is my family? Where is the good food and affection and warmth of my home? Did I get too old? I'm only 8, or 9 or 10 and I still love to play and be with my humans. I just have a little problem."
I have no problem with good breeders. They do all of us a service by breeding HEALTHY Chows and giving us the gift of knowing this amazing breed.
I DO have a problem with people who ignore good advice from knowledgable Chow people and get a pup that is clearly NOT from a reputable breeder.
I'm with PurpleKisses on this one. This is bad.
Also, I think some of you might have missed the fact that Missy WAS returned to a SHELTER. No-kill or not, she WAS returned to a SHELTER. Shelters, thank God for them, are traumatizing. If you don't believe me, go visit one.
On another note, Annie now has a home thanks to KathrynH.
We talked today, but I just want to thank you again, Kathryn...from the bottom of all the Chow's hearts who won't live to see how happy Annie will be.
Laura Mac, the militant shelter rescue b*tch (also mama to my Berkley now and my angel boy, Wallace)
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows

User avatar
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 1946
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Red Dragon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:42 pm

I was thinking the same thing Laura, glad you said it. I looked at that price tag they are asking for those puppies with absolutely nothing to back up any type of a health record, and I thought to myself, for just a little more you could buy a puppy from me that is well bred and has plenty of healthy dogs in the background, all certified by the way. I absolutely have about fallen out of my chair a few times laughing so hard when I see some of these adds on Chow puppies online, TOP CHAMPION QUALITY, only problem is they are registered under these wannabe registries and there are no champions, and there are no health checks, but they are asking big money anyway. There is a sucker on every corner, and plenty on this site as well! #-o
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!

Post Reply