Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Rescue Chows vs Breeder Chows

Post by Jeff&Peks »

janet wrote:hey jeff, i think those two posters were tryin to say the same thing. read back in the postings silly. wallacethegreat was agreeing with shelter vet not criticizing her. :)
I wasn't talking to Laura, it said last two posters, now count down.

Never mind anyway, I miss read it, that was a quote not a comment, my apologies. even tough its taken me 10 years to figure out how to do a quote your supposed to use the qoute thing for none readers like me.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

oops my bad.lol. its been a long day. i sawwy.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

janet wrote:oops my bad.lol. its been a long day. i sawwy.
You were right in away, read what i just added, it was my mistake but not the way you thought it was.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
ChowChowVet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ChowChowVet »

Sorry, it was never my purpose to upset some of you. I just get a bit bitter having to euthanatize healthy, adoptable animals because some people believe that a non-pedigreed dog is second-class. It's hard for me to understand why someone would purchase an animal when there's so many (purebred included) at shelters waiting for good homes. All of the dogs allowed to be adopted have passed multiple behavior evaluations (most of which very few of the purebreds I saw in private practice could've passed!)

I'm not meaning to fuel this fire but I just wanted to add my two cents.

Also, I'm not suggesting that anyone who got their chows from breeders is "bad". I'm just trying to let everyone know what goes on "behind the scenes" and why I'm so passionate about it.

Importantly, no one is right or wrong in this discussion. I believe the purpose of it is for us all to learn.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I feel very much like you do, Chowchowvet, I don't think I could do your job at times like that. You are there, working in the "trenches" so to speak. I would say you have a lot of firsthand knowledge.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
jaxsun_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jaxsun_12 »

We were looking for a puppy for a while and when we saw the add for jack black for sale on Kijiji we had to have him. Before we took him home we phoned all the shelters in vancouver and surounding area. no chows. We had both almost got chows as kids so we knew chow chow was the only way to go. When we went to go pick jack up it was a beautiful house, then we walked inside. The entire place smelled of urine and poo. He took us to the kitchen where the puppy was. He was filthy and coverd in pee. the bed he was laying in was soaked. He could barely walk. If i had left that puppy there, i would have never forgivin myself. we took him home, gave him a bath, a clean warm bed water and food. He didnt move for 3 days. he couldnt go up or down stairs, he wouldnt walk, grass was a new thing to him. He was 4 months old when we picked him up from that BYB. 4 months later i was doing a chow search online and came across an add from the guy we got jack from, saying that he had another chow chow male forsale that was 5 months old. It was one of jacks brothers. Who would have been 8 months old. I contacted a friend at the SPCA and told them about the conditions that jack was in when we picked him up and that i was worried about his brother. They went that day and got the dog away from him. If we didnt live in an appartment at the time, we would have taken him and given him his forever home. i never knew what happend to that poor boy..... i really wish i would have taken him. We've now had Jack Black for over a year and he is the best dog i've ever known. Way to smart for him own good, but a good dog. We knew that buying from a BYB was a risk. but considering that the closest breeder to us was selling for $3,500 bucks, 500 bucks we could do. and then if he ever had any health problems, (he hasnt) we would have the money to save him. I love my boy with all my heart. I wanted to get a puppy to raise it the way i wanted to raise it and not have to worry about it having emotinal scars from someoneelse. I ended up with a chow that was beaten and that had never been outside. And h'es the best dog in the world. Would i buy from a breeder? yes. Would i rescue? yes. if i could find the right dog to help i would. If not, i would go to the breeder. Thats my 2 cents (2 canadian cents)
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

Auddymay wrote:I have recommended Forestway Chows here a couple times to people looking for Michigan breeders. I add the caveat that I am juding their soundness based on their website information, and to investigate further. I did the recommendation in an open forum. Must be nobody here has had any problems with that breeder, because at the time, nobody spoke up and objected.
I know this is very old, but beware of forestway chows. They may have, at one time, been ethical breeders...but they are far, far from it now.
Triple Z
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Triple Z »

I know this is very old, but beware of forestway chows. They may have, at one time, been ethical breeders...but they are far, far from it now.

I know this thread is quite old now, but does anybody have any information on this breeder? I recently reached out to them and want to know I'm looking in the right place.