Pekoe got groomed today, BUT!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Pekoe got groomed today, BUT!!

Post by MickChick »

Keeping you and Pekoe in our thoughts - sending good ones your way. I hope Pekoe is on her way to getting better and/or that the vet says it is just a strained/pulled muscle and nothing more serious. I will say that, having back problems and some other things that go along with aging, I have trouble moving as smoothly as I like when I first stand up! Maybe it will just turn out to be that.

Cecelia and Brandy
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Hope Pekoe starts feeling better soon.
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

I hope it's nothing serious and that she gets better soon.
Natasha
and
Cue
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I hope Pekoe is doing better today. How long did the grooming session take? I know mine aren't used to standing for long periods of time. Sometimes I wonder if they sleep too much because that's all they ever do. Could you try putting a heating pad on the leg that's bothering her? If she's just sore, it might help. My old athritic bones like moist heat.
chris

Post by chris »

Oh man... sorry to hear about Pekoe Jeff.... was she having problems with her leg just before she was groomed? I wonder if she did something like sprian it maybe 1/2 hour or so before she got groomed and then from having to stand on it all that time while being groomed it made it worse? I hope she feels better.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

Oh dear, poor Peks. It's terrible to watch them fall then look so confused about how they got down there. Hope she's feeling better soon.
Thank you Elodie!
ChowLady
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChowLady »

Hope Peks is soon feeling much better and back to herself again.
In Loving memory of Catbalou, Teisha, Tiara & Quoncha. .
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

jeff, i was just wondering how peks was today???? any change???
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Jeff,

I"m really, really worried about you and Pekoe - please let us know what's happening and how Pekoe is.

Cecelia
"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

jeff, hows pekoe?????????
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I had some meetings today and couldn't get to the vet but when I walked her tonight she was doing fine for a could of blocks then stumbled a couple of times, when we got to the park she seemed ok but half way through she started falling again, its getting better but there is something deffinantly wrong with her right rear leg, when shes walking on flat ground she is fine but when she hits driveways and grass she starts falling to her right rear side. When she sees her friends two pit bulls in the park she usally runs to them but when she tried to run her leg gave out and she fell so she walked when she tried to pick up speed her leg wasn't keeping up then she would fall. I think its a sprain or twisted ankle from falling in the bath tub, its getting better but i need to take her to the vet and let her heal more before i walk her so far. I usally walk her untill she's had enough and heads for home but even though shes stumbling i have to force her home she wants to keep going.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
MickChick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MickChick »

Thanks sooo much for the update, Jeff! I was starting to envision stroke, death, all kinds of things. It's not that it makes me feel better that she definitely has a problem with her leg, but it makes me feel better that it's something that seems to be confined to one leg and seems to be healing up bit by bit on it's own. Please keep us updated. I haven't been on the board that long, but you and Pekoe feel like part of Brandy's family now!

Cecelia
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

When my chow Luna was having back/leg trouble, she insisted on her walks. We went for little mini walks several times a day. Pekoe's leg will heal in time and she'll want to go on her usual longer walk. Chows are a determined bunch. Pekoe is one of the determined ones, she's no slouch.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope Pekoe continues to do better. Hopefully it's on the mend.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Jeff, as I am sure you know, make sure to get x-rays of her hips and knees just in case. Kaia's problems came on with no warning, she had luxating patellas and pituitary dwarfism.... but the LP would cause her pain and she would sometimes fall. And of course, Chi-Ching and his hip dysplasia, if he does not have his medicine, then he has a hard time walking and will sometimes refuse to stand up.

But hopefully it is just minor, just check for the luxating patellas and also torn ACL....
Chi-Ching
http://www.katzphotography.net
littlebigzbunnies.weebly.com
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mrstu »

Hi all, been gone awhile and come back to find out that Pekoe has a sister!!! First let me ask how Pekoe is now with her leg and then when did Onxy arrive -- details please!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

mrstu wrote:Hi all, been gone awhile and come back to find out that Pekoe has a sister!!! First let me ask how Pekoe is now with her leg and then when did Onxy arrive -- details please!

Pekoe got hurt while being groomed and Onyx is a long story, basicaly i was pulling merlin from the shelter for Katies Mom and while i was looking at Merlin Animal control came behind me dragging in another Chow (Onyx) she was a stray that had just been hit by a Car. Look up Chow hit by a car that will have the whole story. Onyxs name was Chow hit by a car for along time untill Katies mom named her, "Hit by a car", "Knockin on Heavens door" and now Onyx. Onyx is sort of a foster for right now untill she gets some medical stuff taken care of, today she goes in for shots then an appointment for Spaying. I don't think she is getting the attenion she needs everyone is gone all day and she can't come in the house with Pekoe. Onyx is afraid of Pekoe and prefers to stay outside anyway but its getting way to hot for that.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Onyx got all her shots this morning now she is scheduled for spaying next Monday at 7:00 AM.

Pekoe has been walking around the house and in the yard fine all day she hasn't slipped or fallen but her walk to night will tell the tale. Its a good thing Pekoe can pull herself back to health, when your Chow can't get up on their own then keeps falling over that's not to good a sign at 12 but today she's having no problem getting up or walking that I have seen so far.

Oh yeah I forgot, I took Onyx to our local shelter for shots because I have the shot and spaying money on account with LA I didn't want to go back to baldwin the people where I live are more civilzed plus its a real nice shelter ,parks, tree's and creeks plus a pool for the dogs, country club spa living before they kill the dog. When they found out I wasn't in there computer Pekoe and I got busted for Pekoe not being licensed, Pekoe has never been licensed in her life only chipped, not only that the vet doesn't recommend any more shots including rabies because of her cancer vaccine so the shelter is out of luck because I can't get a license with out rabies. Pekoe and I are criminals. They said all I need is a letter from the vet and they wll wave the rabies shot, anything as long as they get money.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

Berkley says "hi" to his Miss Pekoe (and Connor) and hopes she feels better soon.
Maybe she did fall or slip in the tub, Jeff...hopefully it will work itself out without worrying you to death...
Laura Mac
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Glad to hear Pekoe has perked up. A girl on the lam has to be in top condition when dodging the 5-O. 8)

San Antonio has gone away from paper registration and now require a microchip for registration purposes. Sammy and Ping are chipped, but Tod and Bear aren't...guess they'll be dragging that ball and chain with Pekoe.
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

hey jeff miss pekoe and you had me pretty worried there. i am glad to hear she is holding her own.buh num bum.lol. you fugitives.lmao.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe made her whole walk through the neighborhood and the whole park, She stumbled a little maybe twice, its getting better, she still has a glitch to her step but I can see the leg is extending all the way now, when I look closer at her and saw her stumble it looks like her right leg is pointing in to her left leg thats why she stumbled, her right leg hit her left. Its getting much better but if she's not fully walking by Friday I will take her in. Some of you may be asking why I haven't taken her in yet, thats because you don't know Pekoe at the Vet, they have to close the place down and all staff are on Pekoe then they have to walk her around before they can touch her. I won't allow sedations nor does the vet uses sedation unless it involves surgery and he doesn't want her muzzled because she becomes dangerous muzzled. For you new Members Pekoe is possessed and puts the Exorcist to shame, Yes Pekoe's head does spin around and she levitates when the vet walks in so its an event taking Pekoe to the vet. plus the stress of the vet on her may make things worse.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
scrpbk1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by scrpbk1 »

Pekoe at the Vet has me laughing. Poor thing, who can blame her for not liking the place!

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Shelly
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Is the apprehensive dad maybe transferring his anxiety to the chow? My first chow Luna was a nightmare, the worst dog the vet ever treated, the vet and his assistant were NOT afraid of chows or any other large breed dog. So, before the annual torture/visit, the vet suggested it might help the situation if I were to stay in the waiting room, he thought i made my chow anxious. Big mistake, Luna jumped off the table with needle in leg, knocked down the tray with metal bowls and equipment and when I entered, an exhausted vet and help were on the floor. I scooped up my 65 pound chow, placed her on the table and the HW test was continued with me present. I feel sad that Luna is gone, but I still snicker at that scene she created. No other appointments before and after Luna's, she took up two appointments. Do I ever miss her, Mikki chow is a pus@y cat cat in comparison.
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

sit_by_the_beach wrote: Luna jumped off the table with needle in leg, knocked down the tray with metal bowls and equipment and when I entered, an exhausted vet and help were on the floor.
Jeff&Peks wrote:Yes Pekoe's head does spin around and she levitates when the vet walks in so its an event taking Pekoe to the vet. plus the stress of the vet on her may make things worse.
Those are great visuals brought a smile to my face, GB was a princess Ziggy is another story.

Jeff, what happened to the pic's of the freshly groomed Pekoe? Glad to hear that she continues to do better...b
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."