Advice please - immediate foster situation

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Advice please - immediate foster situation

Post by fillyok »

I didn't even think about the pound. IF we don't get in contact with the owners, then they did say they were going to take him to the pound, so I can check there. I think owner surrenders have 3 days and that's it. It's the only kill shelter in town, but all the others are over-flowing. We think we have it bad paying $4 for a gallon of gas...how about the poor pets that get dumped only to live out their last 3 days wondering what the heck happened. :cry:

I think the owners must have some shred of decency or they would've given him to the gal that probably wanted him for fight bait. Now that's a Jerry Springer episode!! Jeff, I got your back if you got mine. I wonder if Steve is still around??
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

" Berkley: The most expensive rescue dog on the planet"

Actually Onyx could be and probably will be the most expensive rescue, she needs a complete set of x-rays done on her hips and rear legs and will most likely need something done with her back leg, pinned or reconstructed, it looks broken to me but she's walking on it with no problem, plus the vet said she has an ear infection in both ears and still needs to be spayed and should have a complete blood test done even though she appears to be healthy. When I say Onyx is in rebab she is actually on hold There are two people on this site that wants her right now but I can't see sending her off and unloading the vet bills on them, I have some stuff I have to take care of with Pekoe first then I will get into Onyx and try to see what can be done before I send her off but its going to take some time. If worse comes to worse she stays here, she dosn't apear to be in any pain but i'm pumping her full of Glucosomine hoping some repair will get done beore she gets x-rayed.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Let us know if there is anything we can do financially. It sounds like Onyx is going to be an expensive girl.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Might be a good idea, too, to set up paypal accounts for sponsored rescues like Onyx and Berkeley (and Dog A when you get him.). Rescue is expensive, period... $5 and $10 donations can add up quick when everyone gets involved. No need for one person alone to bear the burden.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

Denny and Dargo, both rescues, would love to contribute.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Don't you need a tax ID before you start asking for donations? When I take Onyx in I will just set it up with the Vet then people can donate to Onyx through them. Paypel? Lets see, $10, 000.00 from each member, 3000 members, that should do it, I will send my forwarding address from Mexico.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Helping Onyx through the vet is a good idea. Sorry, but $10,000 is just a tad higher than I can manage, but I'll do what I can!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

I'd definitely help out!
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

If anybody has an email address, you can send and receive payments through PayPal. It's very easy when you set up an account...not torturous and I'm sure that any donations for Berkley and Onyx would be greatly appreciated. Not to mention any Chows in the future.
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Dog A has a name! It's Shabuya. but they call him Boy. Shabuya (sha'-boo-yah) Noun. Replaces subject of a sentence when the proper word cannot be recalled.

We're all set for Friday morning. The lady is going to meet me at the SNAP place and give him to me (I hope). I've already been told the little girl is traumatized because she has to give away her dog. I REALLY hope she isn't there on Friday morning. I don't want any drama.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh, Phyllis! This is wonderful. I know what you've been through and like a bunch of us, you've just kept at it until it's done. Just keep it low key and try not to kill them before they hand the Chow over to you! LOL Drama with the kid...I hope not. Hysterical kids can really ruin a deal, like make the parents feel bad and give them second thoughts, etc. Once you have that boy in your hands though, just keep walking to your car!
Again, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

So, tomorrow's the big day. I really hope the owners show up with Shabuya.

I've been thinking about it for the past few days...it's going to be a really bad day for him. First off, his owners dump him with me, who he doesn't know at all, and then I'm going to leave him at the SNAP place all day. He's going to be going through things he's never experienced before (especially the neuter surgery!!), then I'm going to pick him up and take him to a house full of other larger Chows. What a rotten way to start a new life. I hope he forgives me for putting him through all of this tomorrow. I know when I put Tod through it I felt awful (he'd been with me 3 days). At least when I send him to his new home he won't have to go through too much stress since most of it will be over with. I really hope I can find him a home ASAP so he doesn't get used to me and I REALLY don't want to get attached to him.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I hope things will go well. Try not to worry. They can go through a lot more than we give them credit for. They are resilient and will get through it. Take care!!
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I'm so happy for you. I hope the transition is smooth. You're giving him a better life, no matter what. I never heard of the word that is his name before (of course, I know every word in the dictionary :lol: , but I did used to teach English, and you'd think I'd know the word for a noun that replaces a pronoun). Is it of Asian (maybe Japanese) origin?
courtsey of Sweetpea
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I think it's one of those "new" words like bling or boo. :wink:
pfordeb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pfordeb »

I know bling, but I don't know boo. That's Sullivan's nickname though (boo). Don't have to answer. I know you'll have your hands full for the next few days. You are wonderful!
courtsey of Sweetpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

thinking of you today and good luck :D
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

They didn't show up. I waited for an hour and a half. I even waited in line and signed in...thinking they would eventually show. No deal. I don't know if I'm more mad or more sad. I really wanted to help. Things like this hurt my heart. :cry:
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

WHAT?!?!?! That makes no sense. They're going to surrender him, why not give him to you and have the piece of mind of knowing that he will be safe, happy and ALIVE somewhere rather than giving him to the shelter or something? That is so horrible. It just makes no sense, that angers me beyond words. That poor innocent chow. I just don't get it.
This photo arrangement is the wonderful work of Sweetpea
Katies Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katies Mom »

Some people are just beyond being able to "get them" - is there any way to make a pre-emptive strike with the animal shelter there and make friends with an animal control officer there who would be on the lookout for a black chow being turned in? (You said you were ok up to 5, right? Don't want to cause problems for you in any way shape or form). Not sure when they start counting the 3 days, or if they would even count to 3 given he's a chow - but if someone knew you were looking for him, then maybe he'd stand a chance. I'm not sure how you would explain that you know he's being turned in, but is that something that's feasible? This is so very sad when all of these chows are looking for homes and this one has one with you, even just as a foster, and you can't get them to fork him over. I would like to say that they might keep him thinking that avoiding breaking their little girl's hear was more important than vacation, but considering how this little guy has lived up until now, that's probably not a good thing either. I'm not even sure that you want to continue on this emotional roller coaster, but that is the only thing I can even think of.
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

filly, that's so disappointing. :(

It's astounding, but in a situation like this, the owner can have a completely unvetted pet that's matted to the skin, uncared for and neglected for years, ready to be kicked to the curb, and yet they still think that they are doing you a huge favor by letting you help them instead of you doing them a favor by taking responsibility for their pet.

Dealing with a stray or chow from a shelter is so much easier, their code of behavior is so less...complicated.

Just a guess, but I doubt that this is the last you will hear from them. Stay cool.
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that somehow, you'll still be able to get the poor boy.
CoraP.Image
Jules Jusserand
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I was able to get in touch with the lady that's been helping. Apparently the owner called her last night and wanted my phone/email. It seems she wanted me to take him last night because this morning was interfering with some other "plans". The lady talked her out of it by saying she only had my work contact. And the owner assured her she would show up this AM. What plans could be happening at 7:30???

Anyway, I've been trying to call the animal care services (pound) since they opened at 1100, but can't get in touch with a person. If anyone is bored and wouldn't mind trying to call them the number is 210 207-4738. I just need to know if he's been surrendered there and maybe ask them to be on the lookout for him. I can pick him up after work. At least if I "adopt" him it'll only cost me $73 and he'll be vaccinated, neutered and checked for heartworms.
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Jeez, Phyllis. This SUCKS! I'm working on helping Sammie to get Annie out of the Lamar hellhole, but will try to call that number above a few times to see if I can reach them.
Sometimes, human behavior just beyond the pale, particularly when it comes to caring for their critters. As I've said so many times before...there is a place in hell for all of them. Luckily, there is a place in heaven for the rest of us!
Hang in, Girl. We'll get this done one way or another.
Where is the poor boy going to stay while they go on their leisurely, but financially-stretched, vacation? If you know where they live, you may want to check their backyard in case they leave him alone without food or water. Nobody needs to guess what I'd do then. If they DO leave him, animal control should be able to confiscate him, especially since it's really hot there now.
Tell me what else I can do...if we could get him and Annie on the road within the next few days, that would just be AWESOME!
Laura Mac
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Well geez that sucks! How rude of them! I hope they don't just dump him somewhere. Maybe your contact will be able to reach them again and get something going.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)