Tail Question - Please Help

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ninostootsie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tail Question - Please Help

Post by ninostootsie »

Last Sunday I had decided it was bath day for Tootsie Roll. I don't normally do it myself, as a matter of fact, it's only the 3rd home bath he's had in as many years. On this same day, I found that he had an ear infection, so right before his bath I cleaned his ear. Then I gave him a quick bath, blow dried him and settled down for the evening. Now here is my problem... His tail has been hanging down ever since. I don't know if it's because of the ear cleaning, the bath, the ear infection or what??? He's been on eardrops and antibiotics since Wednesday, but the tail is still down. Then after not feeling well for days, I was diagnosed with Pneumonia on Thursday and had to send my son away for the holiday weekend because I couldn't take care of him. (I added this last part because I've also heard that tail down could be stress related). How do I figure out what the problem is? Will Tootsie's tail ever curl back up? Should I start worrying that maybe it's hurt? I've put it into its curled position, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable. When he is outside doing his business he curls it up, I guess to keep it clean, so I haven't considered hurt, but maybe I should. Any suggestions? :(
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Tail Question - Please Help

Post by Grab »

he may just not feel well from a combination of the ear infection and the antibiotics (I know I always feel misrable when on antibiotics) . If it continues when he's off of the meds I'd be concerned
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I agree that I think hes just not feeling well.give the meds a few more days before you get too worried.their tail being down is an indication to me that they don't feel good.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I'm not sure what to tell you but thought I would bump this back up for you so maybe more will see it.
I would check the tail thoroughly...feel it all over...move it gently...look through the hair see if you can find anything on the skin.
It could be that he doesn't feel well. We just went through a bad ear infection here but Shug still held his tail up. Tail down=distress of some sort but as to the cause I don't know. A week of tail down is strange. I too would have it checked just to be on the safe side if it continues. Is he wagging it at all for you?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Sorry your not feelin' well, hope you are feelin' better soon.
Maybe he is upset that your son isn't home, senses your not feeling well, YOU gave him a bath.....sounds like it could be everything is kinda different, I know my 2 don't like ANYTHING different LOL!!! Does he still act like his ear is bothering him??? Shakin' his head, rubbin' it on the floor etc.
Kearra drops her tail and won't come to me for 2 days after I give her a bath LOL!!! Guess shes afraid I'll give her another one :roll:
Maybe he misses your son??

Thanks Sweetpea!
ninostootsie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ninostootsie »

Thank you for all the responses. It's helpful to get a point of view from people that love their dogs as much as I. I have checked the tail numerous times. I've bent it into normal position, but it just goes right back down. As I said, he puts it up to do his business outside, but then right back down again. I'm hoping it is just a combination of the bad week, and my son being gone (he is home now). I'll give it another day or so. Other than the tail being down, he's acting almost perfect. A little less playful, but close to normal.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Has he been trying to lick or bite his tail or rearend? Maybe his *Censored Word* glands are impacted? #-o
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

It's natural for the tail to be lowered, when a Chow isn't feeling well, distressed, or just plain sulking.