A Play Question

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

A Play Question

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Special Dark seems to be getting more and more playful as the weeks go on, I'm imagining it still might have to do with the fact that is getting used to having us as his family(?). Over the past two weeks especially, when he plays with my husband and myself, he has been gently putting our wrists between his teeth. Is this a behvaior I need to try to discourage or is this jus how they play? I've been told that it may be a sign of dominance, but I have gotten no other indication from him that he has an ounce of worry over dominance (he lets me get over him when he is sleeping or resting on his side, he even lets me put my hand in his food bowl as he is eating, etc).
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mouthing is how puppies play with each other, but you are not a puppy and need to discourage this. It is not dominance. Your dog sounds fine in that regard. Some will tell you not to wrestle with your Chow at all. Myself, I will let some mild play happen, but it is important Lily know I am not for laying teeth on. I recently was pulling a spruce twig from Lily's breeches, and hurt her. She spun around and put her mouth on me as if she would bite, but it was only her telling me I hurt her, and she stopped immediately.
Codybear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Codybear »

I read somewhere that the pack leaders never let subordinate dogs put their mouths on them. cody has put his teeth on me but only to say that "that hurt". Usually during grooming.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thank you! I will definetly curb play so he understands that that is not acceptable. Already, yesterday he did it and even before I could let him know that that was a no-no, he had a look on his face that kind of said "oh yeah, I forgot" and he quickly kissed my hand and didn't do it again. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they pick up on things... :D Plus, I just love how Special Dark sighs at me when I don't get whatever I'm suppossed to get! :wink: Like why I make him waste precious drooling time with having to sit get a treat during training or why it takes me so long to lock to the door before a walk when there are soooo many perfectly good squirrels to chase outside!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Plus, I just love how Special Dark sighs at me when I don't get whatever I'm suppossed to get! :wink: Like why I make him waste precious drooling time with having to sit get a treat during training or why it takes me so long to lock to the door before a walk when there are soooo many perfectly good squirrels to chase outside!
Wait until you get the, "humans are just too stubid to live, and if she didn't feed me I'd leave," exaperated groan or snort. Darkwind does it quite often and I laugh. He doesn't like the word, "No."
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Shane
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Shane »

chowfrnd88 wrote:Is this a behvaior I need to try to discourage or is this jus how they play?

(he lets me get over him when he is sleeping or resting on his side, he even lets me put my hand in his food bowl as he is eating, etc).
This is certainly something that i would discourage. This may seem cute now but it may turn out more serious (generally) as he grows. You said that he allows you to touch his food bowl etc. Yes you should keep on doing it to show him that he does not own them. The same thing with toys you should be able to get those things from him at anytime. I had a slight issue with Krillan at times if chewing a toy or a treat and someone had walked by he would growl (although he never tried it with me). The issue is resolved as I practiced removing his treats and other of his possesions, he has now come to terms of tolerating people touching him as he chew stuff. I have also allowed other people to feed them, give treats so they'll be able to see others not to remove their possesions, but to give them it aswell.

Shane
Last edited by Shane on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

Thanks everyone! We've been working on it and he seems to get it. He has stopped doing it altogether with my husband, but still tries once in a while to do it with me.