im confused

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: im confused

Post by IliamnasQuest »

The problem with posting and advice online is that people are going to be as blunt as they want to be (myself included) and the way it's read isn't always the way it was meant.

It was 11 years ago in February when I reluctantly entered the world of the internet. I say reluctantly because I wasn't going to be one of those people sitting in front of a computer for hours on end. And one of the first things I did was join some dog email lists and forums (chow and German shepherd both). The original chow list I was on is long gone, but I'm still on the same German shepherd list.

I also went to numerous chat rooms, which were very popular back then. If you think the conversations on this forum are bad, you've never been to the type of chat rooms I've been to! People were amazingly cruel at times, and the Flamer Personality Disorder that kiwani posted about was VERY common. People acted out all their frustrations on others, and if you didn't grow a tough skin pretty fast you were not going to make it in a chat room. But you also met some very "real" people who were funny and kind and interesting, and those people made it all worthwhile.

Newbies to a forum like this are stepping into already formed cliques, which is not always easy. They don't understand that the question they're posing - a question that may be really difficult or emotional to them - is a question we've probably seen dozens of times and many are tired of seeing it. So advice can come across as being very abrupt and it's got nothing to do with the person posting, and everything to do with having seen the same question over and over. Many newbies don't have any concept of searching for answers on a forum like this, too.

Many people who are new to forums (and some who are oldies on forums) are very sensitive to any implied (real or otherwise) insult to themselves or their dogs. If I tell someone "your dog has a personality disorder" it can be taken different ways depending on how they read it. If you think of that being said in a very snide, unfriendly tone it can sound like an insult. If it's read as a more clinical, explanatory tone then it can be a descriptive phrase that is meant to help someone understand a problem. It's often all in how a person CHOOSES to interpret something.

I learned a long time ago to look at things said online and then to approach them in a logical manner and to try to keep emotions out. It works 98% of the time for me. I rarely post in anger and the only real emotional posts I've done here are when Kylee was ill. It's a safety factor for me to remain unemotional as much as possible, because if I got emotional then I'd have to quit coming to these kinds of forums.

As far as the rescue vs. breeder, I've already posted on the other thread. NO ONE should EVER feel ashamed for buying a puppy from a good breeder. I feel we have as much responsibility in promoting good breeding techniques as we do in rescuing, because without those good breeders the chow breed will become diluted to the point that it is no longer truly "chow". Most of the chows that end up in shelters are NOT from good breeders. Many of these have genetic health problems that the good breeders are trying to eradicate from the breed. I deplore the senseless breeding of dogs for profit which is seen in so many places, but that should not reflect on those who are truly trying to do a good thing for the breed. We would be better off trying to stop the bad breeders than waiting for the dogs to show up in shelters and then blaming ALL breeders and ALL people who buy from breeders. I've had rescue dogs and purchased dogs, and in all honesty my next chow will probably be another purchased dog. That's my choice and I have no reason to feel shame for going to a responsible breeder who breeds for health and temperament.

I feel bad for the chows who need rescued, I do what I can to help when I can afford to (and have for years), but I'm generally a "behind the scenes" person who doesn't need to let everyone know. I think we have a lot of those on here. I know that some of you donated to the Molly chow a couple of years ago (the rescue chow that needed a $2000 surgery that I did the website for) and you didn't need to be thanked in public.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:
Oh my word! totally off topic your dog is gorgeous! I LOVE his color! I hope when my ember is 2 she will be that dark... gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.... do you brush him from head to tail? or from tail to head? If you have never brushed him from tail to head try it. Makes them fluff a bit better and it lays a bit better too... I did say it was off topic. He is gorgeous!
Carla
Hi Carla,
thanks for the compliments on Tai. As a proud chow parent, I think he's gorgeous too. He's a deep mahogony and even my vet says he's never seen a chow colored as nicely as Tai is. Someone's throw away, my treasure. :) Yes, I do brush him both ways, tail to head and head to tail. Not so much for the looks, but just to get the never ending under coat out. That's the price I pay for that gorgeous boy. :) Under coat, under coat, under coat. Tai will be 2 next February.
Thanks again!!! :)
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Tai's Mom wrote: Yes, I do brush him both ways, tail to head and head to tail. Not so much for the looks, but just to get the never ending under coat out. That's the price I pay for that gorgeous boy. :) Under coat, under coat, under coat. Tai will be 2 next February.
Thanks again!!! :)
Hey Cy, have you tried a 39 pin double row rake? Its fabulous. I could virtually put mine on a shelf and pay homage to it. just google it and you'll find several. I think care a lot in Norfolk Va has the best price. Anyways, he is gorgeous. :-)
Carla
Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

:lol:
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!