Berkley-free at last!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Berkley-free at last!!

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

Such a wonderful rescue, can't wait till Berkley arrives..........7:15pm, mountain time or pacific? or central?
You could all meet at one of the chowfests?
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Me too Chris - it is 10.32 p.m. here on The Island and I am going to bed now so I will read about it in the morning. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Ming and Tempest and their Daddies have been anxiously watching this unfurl. We've got every paw and finger crossed and are so anxious for poor Berkley's ordeal to be over and for him to be at his forever home!!!!!!!!!!! =D= =D= =D=
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wallacethegreat »

It'll be 7:15 Mountain time, then another 30 minutes for them to get him off the plane!
Laura Mac...where, oh where is BERKLEY!
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok. We're now 3 hours to touch-down. I'm going to get hives waiting! LOL
I've tried to keep busy today; wrote my pieces for the newspaper, cleaned the house...again, and made cookies, brushed all the dogs.
Nothing left to do, but wait.
Laura Mac
Attachments
Wally-I'm sending Berkley to my Mom
Wally-I'm sending Berkley to my Mom
Wally Full Shot.JPG (22.3 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
Laura Mac, mama to Fozzie-Bear and to Berkley-Bear and Oliver Wallace, my angel Chows
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

chris wrote:OMG... the suspence is killing me... :shock:
Havn't I heard that before? oh wait maybe that was a movie i was watching, never mind.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
WildThings
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WildThings »

This boy looks like he is going to be a poster chow boy! I'm sure he will never forget any of the people involved in saving his life...they never do.
Amanda
ImageSweetpea Designs
"Many people talk to animals...not many listen though. That's the problem" The Tao of Pooh
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

I just felt bad for him he settled down and trusted me, actually clung to me then I stick him in a box and shipped him off, he wasn't to happy with me leaving, he watched me all the way to the car then sat there staring at me while i was in the car talking to Laura even though people were all around him and one lady was trying to play with him in the crate but he wouldn't take his eyes off me.
He drove all the way to the airport hitting my arm with his paw so I would pet him.
The hardest part of rescue is letting them go, just like kids you do everything you can the rest is up to them. I will never get over the looks they give you when it s time to walk away from them. What ever happens do not look back. We have taken to asking the new parents to talk them away from the windows and doors, it hurts to much.

You two have done a wonderful thing and there has been one more saved. It will be one more until they are all safe with everyone working together I hope they will find homes.

Well done! you two =D=

Larry
wallacethegreat
Rank 1
Rank 1

UPDATE:
Ok, so I know I'm ridiculous now. Please just bear with me for a while loonger, then I'll shut up for a few days.
I'm leaving the house for the hour-long drive into ABQ to pick up Berkley.
Larry, you're so right about rescue work. Last year, I fostered 7 Golden Retrievers over a 2 month period. I cried every single time the dog's new parents came to pick them up and take them to their new homes. It never got any easier, but I just had to keep remembering that I couldn't possibly keep them all, and they were going to wonderful new families. I would always tell the new people while we stood outside in front of the house, "You take the leash and I'm going into the house. Just load 'em up and go." Then, I'd cry my eyes out. What's worse is, I never kept any of them for more than a week at a time, but I got so attached so fast.
Dogs can see a sucker coming from a mile away! LOL
Leaving now and will have pics of Berks in the morning...maybe later tonight when everybody goes to sleep.
Laura Mac, mama to the late Oliver Wallace and in 90 minutes, to Mr. Berkley \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Attachments
The late Wally-hoping Berkley's ok
The late Wally-hoping Berkley's ok
Wally Full Shot.JPG (22.3 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

This is so exciting!! I know it must have been awfully hard to let him go. Laura, you must be on pins and needles! I hope the plane gets there as close to on time as possible! Best wishes!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Laura just called from the Airport, Berkley is in the car and they are on their way home, he made the flight fine but a little wobbly after being in the crate so long.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
mrtdwt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mrtdwt »

Hooray! \:D/ =D= \:D/

This has been such a heartwarming thread.

Thank you for living it out loud so that we could share in the journey with you!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

What a relief, I am glad to hear that Berkely arrived safely. Job well done, kudos to all involved. :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ =D= =D=
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh I am so happy he made it. He will be pleased to see his new home!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
Ginger Bears Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ginger Bears Mom »

Jeff thanks for the update, and everything you did to help save this beautiful boy. Can't wait to hear from laura she must be so happy to have another Chowkid at home. Big hugs to Pek's I am sure she is glad to have her daddy back.
Betty, Ziggy's Mom
Ginger Bears Mom ~ In Loving Memory, 8.5.93 - 11.16.07

"Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next."
Igor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Igor »

We are so happy that he is home. Happy new life Berkley!!!
And many many thanks to Jeff for helping to save this boy.
Mishka and his family
Tai's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tai's Mom »

Congrats Laura!!! Berkley is one very loved chow boy. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear how thing went either. :?
Cy & Tai
All this and you wanted a Shih Tzu too?
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

another happy ending.
jeff you are amazing.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

I am so glad I found this forum. You guys are just amazing. I never knew there were a bunch or people out there that cared this much. Jeff, I know you get a lot of flack on the board at times but I think I love you--just don't tell my hubby! You and the others here that put so much time and effort into rehoming chows are totally entitled to express any opinion you wish in my opinion. I would never have found you guys if not for finding my sweet CC at the shelter and deciding to do some chow research before she was ready to come home to me. This story has just warmed my heart. I had no idea that chows were so difficult to adopt out and now thank God I walked into the shelter when I did and saved my baby. I am not sure of the fate of the rest of the liter since it is a kill shelter but pray they found loving forever homes.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Well something is watching out for Berkley and it sure isn't me or Laura, 2 months in a shelter?, what dog last that long in a shelter especially a Chow, From his photo he was all matted, gray and sick looking plus listed as dog aggressive and still beats the odds, then out of hundreds of Chows in shelters in LA pops up out of no where a day before he's supposed to be euthanized gets a hold put on him then almost euthanized again on Sunday, scheduled to be euthanized twice in one week then the shelter telling me he has to be out today but because of his neutering held him two more days, everything fit right into my schedule and continental's flight schedule, Talk about a chow meant to be rescued, to weird.
Last edited by Jeff&Peks on Tue May 06, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Well done everybody - wonderful rescue story and I am so glad that Berkley is back on solid ground. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

I never understood how people would get hooked on tv shows, were the suspense of have to wait until the next show would almost kill them..................now i understand. I could not wait to come into work this morning to read the next step in Berkleys new life.........tick tock tick tock.......... =P~
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Like everyone else, I have been following this story from the beginning and I am so glad Berkley is now in a great home with someone who will love him and take excellent care of him. This is such a happy ending...or maybe I should say, beginning!! :D
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand