MISSING CHOW BRONX NY

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: MISSING CHOW BRONX NY

Post by RHENEGADE CHOWS »

Called ACC in New York again today, updated them. The only news I got was not good news. If in fact Nikki is dead, this is hard... Sanitation would have removed her body and there would be no record of it...This just breaks my heart like you have no idea. The thought of her being thrown out with the trash. I am literally ill. We are trying to get in touch with workers in that area however I cannot make the call, it has to be New york local and dial 3 1 1. Maybe if anyone can ask thier pick up crews if they can get records of dead animal removals, or if they picked up a cream chow. I am so sad over this. We are still hoping Nikki is alive and at least being taken care of. I do know that she isn't in any shelter there, She's not in the hospital, She hasn't been picked up at all by ACC. So there are 3 options, still out there on her own, stolen, or over rainbridge.
Thanks to everyone who is helping in the search.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

If you call the sanitation depts. around the dog park or surrounding area they should have records of pickups. People do hire private detectives for missing dogs, don't know how far or how much money you want to go. If you go that route be very careful, there are scams like this all over craigslist, Yoko may have already been contacted from one on craigslist that has warnings about him.

Did someone actually see him get hit by a Car? If so and depending on how hurt he was Chows will go hide somewhere to die, you should check around the area he got hit, If he got hit, you may find him behind something or around a bushy area, I know, morbid but it's better then never knowing.

You should post him on Dog detective and Fido finder but they do cost but not that much. Also post him on that one I just posted, I have gotten a few recommendations about them.

http://www.SwiftReport.net

This week has been pretty good with Chow rescues Sajun, Teddy and Berkley, (only a few thousand more to go) now if we can just top off the week with finding Nikki.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Got an email from someone recommending rescue ink.
Rescue Ink may be able to help you. They have helped others with lost dogs. They were just on Ellen Degeneres Show last week.
You can find them on the web. http://www.rescueink.com
Can't hurt to try - they promise to answer everyone. They answered me.
Kathy in MD
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:Got an email from someone recommending rescue ink.
Rescue Ink may be able to help you. They have helped others with lost dogs. They were just on Ellen Degeneres Show last week.
Kathy in MD
Thats the group I was talking about in New York. Are you or Yoko going to notify them or does Texas, Canada and Ca have to. Some of these sites want alot of info Times, locations, addresses, witnesses, names numbers, police reports and so far all we have is a missing Chow from a dog park somewhere in the Bronx that may have been hit by a car. the people that live 2000/3000 miles away have done all they can with the little information they have.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jeff&Peks wrote:
RHENEGADE CHOWS wrote:Got an email from someone recommending rescue ink.
Kathy in MD
Thats the group I was talking about in New York. Are you or Yoko going to notify them or does Texas, Canada and Ca have to.
We will. i was just updating. thanks to everyone who has been so kind in helping.
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jeff&Peks wrote:If you call the sanitation depts. around the dog park or surrounding area ... I know, morbid but it's better then never knowing.

This week has been pretty good with Chow rescues Sajun, Teddy and Berkley, (only a few thousand more to go) now if we can just top off the week with finding Nikki.
I know....I just want to know... I did have a good cry thinking about her possibly in the garbage...She is someones baby, we all love her. Makes me so sad...but i hope to top the weekend off with a late birthday party. I saw the bit about Berkley :-) Yeah and Teddy and Sajun too!
sit_by_the_beach
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sit_by_the_beach »

I suggest that this ad is run on CL every day. Reward in upper case
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/pet/667066211.html
KARIN &
chowMIKKI

RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

sit_by_the_beach wrote:I suggest that this ad is run on CL every day. Reward in upper case
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/pet/667066211.html
Thank you Karin :-)
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

mornin all.
i just got off the phone with the sanitation department. waited a while for a call back from this nice woman. i lied and said it was my dog. sometimes you just gotta.lol.
she said according to the records on the computer, no deceased dogs have been picked up in the district surrounding van cortland. she did say that in district 8? which is near east 222nd street and white plains road there was one deceased dog removal. she couldnt give me a description, so i called the garage supervisor.he was also very nice. i have to call him back in a bit, he's gonna talk to some of the guys who might have been involved and see if they could give a description of the dog. i am keeping my fingers crossed, that it doesnt sound anywhere near like poor nikki.
keep saying prayers.
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so in hopes that Nikki will be found. I can't imagine how awful this is for her owner. :cry:
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
RHENEGADE CHOWS
Rank 2
Rank 2

janet wrote:mornin all.
i just got off the phone with the sanitation department. waited a while for a call back from this nice woman. i lied and said it was my dog. sometimes you just gotta.lol.
she said according to the records on the computer, no deceased dogs have been picked up in the district surrounding van cortland. she did say that in district 8? which is near east 222nd street and white plains road there was one deceased dog removal. she couldnt give me a description, so i called the garage supervisor.he was also very nice. i have to call him back in a bit, he's gonna talk to some of the guys who might have been involved and see if they could give a description of the dog. i am keeping my fingers crossed, that it doesnt sound anywhere near like poor nikki.
keep saying prayers.
Oh JANET!!!! Thank you, you got further than I did. They told me there was no way for them to know any of that... Ohh This is fantastic!!! I will call Yoko now!
You are awesome! At least its a bit of positive news so far.
Carla
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Did anyone contact that New York group yet?

http://www.rescueink.com

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Long shot, this chow is posted as hit by a car found in New orleans. Any resemblence. Freckles around the nose. Brown on the lower legs. Don't go by the lighting of the picture.
ImageImage

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I posted a new ad on CL this morning. I copied the one I saw in the lost&found section and put it in the pets section. I got one response...another suggestion to use rescueink. Has anyone tried it??

Hi - Just wanted to say i hope he returns soon. it is horrible what that lady on the
phone did - you may have done so already but contact rescueink.org - they
have helped find stolen animals it is amazing - they already helped 3 people
who posted on CL and just recently a shitz tzu was returned that was found and
the people were not going to return him. withe there help and resource
they brought the pup home! they dont post they have them on the case
because the cruel idiots who stole them might get freaked. so if you havent already
contact them -they are all about animals - i also sent your post to all my rescue friends
and animal people in hopes someone may have seen someone with a new pup. i
wish you the best and hope Nikki returns home safe and soon. Barbara
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I take it there's no resemblence in the two chows, I posted rescuelink a few times for them they want alot of info we don't have.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

i emailed rescueink through their myspace page. I sent them the link from CL. Maybe they'll be able to help.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

I got another response...at least the word is getting around and maybe if someone spots Nikki they'll do something about it.

That is such a sad situation, I am so sorry that you have lost your pet. Did you try checking with the receiving center by Fordham Plaza and the police stations around your area? I think the women that made that call was a sick person playing games. If she called to tell you your loved one was dead then she should have had no problem giving you details! I hope you find your dog soon and in good health. I have three dogs of my own and love them so much. I can only imagine what you are going through, I wish you luck in your search and hope you are reunited.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I got alot more responses also when I changed the post to stolen from missing. I'm just getting pretty much the same responses your getting, differant people tho so that helps. I see someone just reposted him to K9amberalert, I just got the e-mail. I just noticed it was posted from Rescuelink.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Another response...

Please be sure to contact as many vets as possible with her picture and information about her chip.
also did you contact police stations? If taken by someone in a car she may no longer be in the bronx so try to get the media involved. There was recently a posting about a woman whose dog was also taken in this same way. If you have any med files etc keep them handy for claiming your dog once you find her. Good luck.

She also said...

There's a woman on the daily news her last name is SZABO she seems to write things about animals, see if you can contact her also, call ch2 etc
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Here's another response with some good advice...

When my dog was missing all kinds of lunatics called me with false leads. Don't pay any attention to someone who claims to have info and then acts mysteriously. Also don;t assume he is stolen. Sometimes there are well meaning people who- although they have their hearts in the right place- are ignorant. They don't read Craigs list or anything else. They think "poor doggy , the owner was obviously negligent to let him get away..."
Here is a letter I send to all who have lost their pets. It is the action I took that worked for me.

Do these things immediately-
Make posters- as many as you can. Include a color photo of your dog -make the first word: REWARD. Make it BIG and BOLD , in red, and state the amount.You must make it the absolute most you are able to offer. ( Keep in mind that of you can't come up with it all, no one will refuse to return your pet, offer them what you have when he or she is returned, when my dog was missing I offered 1000 dollars. I did end up paying 800 and I had to borrow THAT-but it was worth every penny to have him back) People are more likely to read and jot down your number if there is something in it for them. Its sad but true. They will want that money and keep an eye out for your dog. Post them for MILES. I suggest your neighborhood and the 4 neighborhoods adjacent to yours.
Go to your post office and the 4 adjacent neighborhood post offices. Mail carriers know all the dogs and will notice one where there wasn't one before. Ask your mail carrier to carry a flier of your dog. Ask the others to do the same. Post signs in laundromats , deli's , dunkin donuts, nail salons,banks, pet stores , vets offices, animal hospitals, the dog food aisle of your supermarket,pet shops, gas station pumps ( yes the pumps themselves) diners, coffee stands,train stations, churches, bus stops, Starbucks ANYWHERE that many people go daily. Do not forget to put them on poles EVERYWHERE. Put them in weather proof sleeves that you can get from Staples.Take an ad out in your local paper, and check your fliers DAILY., Re-post wherever they are taken down. Sometimes the sanitation dept removes them. Send your flier to the ASPCA, to every animal hospital , shelter and rescue group within a 20 mile radius.Post your dog on K911, lostfoundpets.com, petfinder.com, dogdetective, fidofinder.com, missingpets.com ad go to your local center for animal care and control ( CACC) DAILY. Very important.You must go daily. Also if you contact them with your missing pet's info they will email you if a dog matching his description is brought in. But check with them daily. They only hold dogs for 72 hours and that one will be snatched right up after the allotted time. Every borough has a CACC. Call and register with them all.
Enlist some help if you can. I spent a fortune on fliers and didn't go to work for 2 weeks while I searched for my dog. I got him back after 2 weeks. Someone saw one of my fliers. They could hardly miss it. I posted 2500 of them all told. Search for that baby, I hope you find him. Don't give up hope. I'll say a prayer for you.
I got information through Sherlock Bones. If you want to enlist his help, do so at SherlockBones.com. He will send you a list to mail to as one of his services. Again- good luck.
PS on a saddder note- also contact the sanitation department daily for an update on animals that have been struck and killed by cars.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Crosspost from K9amberalert. We need to take all this information and put it in a section for lost Chows/dogs.

Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 07:52:43 -0000
Subject: [K9AmberAlert] Help for lost dogs

Recently we had one of our rescue doggies get lost and we found a great
resource that we did not know was out there. Kinko's will make up to
100 color copies of flyers for lost dogs for free. I hope this helps
some of you out there with lost dogs and good going KINKOS!!! Gina
Austin TN

ImageImage
janet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by janet »

any news on nikki????????
anyone can own a dog, it takes someone special to own a chow.Image
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

janet wrote:any news on nikki????????
I will second that, and??????

ImageImage
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Even rescue link wants info from the owner, this was sent out on K9amberalert.

Subject: Stolen, Cream Chow Chow from dog park (Bronx, New york area)

Hello, This is Angel from Rescue Ink. Please send me your contact number for we can help you find your pet.

Thank You,
Angel
Pet Investigator
http://www.rescueink.org
info@rescueink.org

Flllyok and sit-by-the-beach, You guys want to go to New York so we can find this Chow, we can stay at Janets place, free food and lodging, Steaks everynight.

ImageImage
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Those are the guys I emailed through myspace. I sent them the link to the craigslist ad. I never got a response from them.

Hate to say it, but I don't think Yoko is doing enough to find Nikki unless there's more than what's being posted here. That one lady that contacted me took off 2 weeks from work to find her dog. If it were me and I couldn't take off work, I'd be paying people to distribute fliers, hang signs and visit the shelter/pound/vets in the area. And I would be doing this EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!

Just saw Jeff's post...I'm in!!! I like mine well-done. :wink: