Should I get a Chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

JosephP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Should I get a Chow?

Post by JosephP »

Hi, my first time post. After loosing Tootsie, my 11 yr old shih tzu, last year I'm ready to bring home another four-legged companion. I've been reading a lot about chows and I'm ready to take the challenge of raising one. I'm single and live alone at home w/ an average-sized yard. I work daily from 8 to 5 pm and will go the the gym 'til 7 pm about 3x a week and usually free on weekends. This practically leaves no time to bond with the dog. Would it be fair to raise a chow given my schedule? Has someone been in my situation and has successfully raise a chow? I appreciate your experiences and thoughts on this matter.

Thanks.
Joseph
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You answered your own question, No time to bond with the dog. Don't get any dog especially a Chow if your going to be gone 11 hours aday.
What were your plans for the Chow when your gone? just left out in the yard?
But then again if you were planing to rescue a Chow from a Shelter I guess being left alone 11 hrs aday is better then being killed at the shelter, At least it has a home and yard.
Zhuyos mom

Re: Should I get a Chow?

Post by Zhuyos mom »

JosephP wrote:After loosing Tootsie, my 11 yr old shih tzu, last year I'm ready to bring home another four-legged companion. Would it be fair to raise a chow given my schedule? Has someone been in my situation and has successfully raise a chow?
Hi Joseph!

Thanks for doing your homework on chows before just up and getting one. First, sorry for the loss of your Tootsie. 11 years with her must leave you with many fond memories.

Raised a "chowling" (that's what we call chow puppies on this site) named Zhuyo during my workaholic phase and with similiar living conditions as you. He's 13.5 now, the most wonderful, gentle and generous chow. I too left home very early and come home fairly late. Raising one as a chowling with that schedule was heart wrenchingly lonely and worry-some. I was afterall leaving a "baby" home alone. I think when he turned 6 months, I decided to bring him to chow daycare (also known as my mom & dad's house) so he would not be so alone and isolated. He had my undivided attention once we were home and during weekends. I also had the luxury of being able to contact his breeder 24/7 for anything concerning Zhu (or his twin brother, Confuscious)... even after she moved from CA to TX.

So, my opinion is that it can be done, but chows are very sensitive beings and very smart. Be forewarned that raising and living with a chow is NOT like raising a dog you can crate while you're at work and expect it to be okay with that living arrangement. If you leave them alone for such a length of time, be prepared that their independent side may take over and before you know it, you've lost its respect and respect with your things. Also, if you want a chow in your life, know yourself well enough that you realize you have "leader/alpha" qualities to be slightly a step ahead of your incredibly intelligent chow yet humble enough to them when they brood about your insolence for not knowing any better.

Personally, I'd recommend that you rescue a chow. That way and with your schedule, you don't have to worry about the housebreaking phase. I rescued Miss Pooh Bear (she's the cinnamon one in the picture) last June from our local humane society. She's 9 and it's amazing how easy she took to our (Zhu's and mine) lifestyle. You could swear that she was mine from month 3! It's been a wonderful experience getting to know Pooh Bear.

Also, Jeff is right. You need contingency plans if you go out of town. Zhu would go to a kennel or I would hire a sitter. Plus, do you own your home or are you just renting because chows are medium size and if you move, most rentals have size requirements. Most of us here fib a little or are able to skirt around specifics when it comes to home insurance qualifications.

Good luck!
Juniper

Response to: Should I Get A Chow?

Post by Juniper »

Hi Joseph:

Sorry to hear about Tootsie - shih tzu's are really sweet and I'm sure she's left you with great memories.

If you read my rescue of a Chow-Chow, maybe it will be helpful to you in your decisionmaking process. Well-done on doing your research. In my research I found out that Chowlings need quite a bit of training and socialization while they're growing up.

We have similar schedules and my adult Chow manages it just fine - probably because she's had a hard life prior to my rescue. But I don't think it would do justice to the Chowling to be home alone for that long a period of time. I spend almost my entire weekend w/my Sheena to make up the time during the week lost - I can tell she is putting up w/it but it is not to her best liking.

Try rescuing a Chow is all that I can suggest - it will be extremely grateful for all the love you have to share. Much luck in your decision.
JosephP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JosephP »

Thanks so much for your candid replies. I originally thought of getting a puppy chow from a reputable breeder but the idea of rescuing a chow seems much more sensible at this point. So off I go to the shelter this weekend.
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Finding a Chow

Post by Jeff&Peks »

You may not find to many Chows at your local shelters but check anyway to see if there is one, If not try looking in the pet section of your local craigslist for a Chow there is a craigslist in just about every city. I don't know where you are but this website will get you there. On the right side of the site is a listing of all the cities.

http://www.craigslist.org/

If you can't find a Chow there try one of the Local Chow Rescue groups or look at the bottom of this site for Chows in need.
Or try

http://www.chowwelfare.com/

Here's another Chow recsue website i just found and should never have looked at. It says LA but list Chows at Shelters all over. Theres 2 month old Chow puppies listed on there that are going to be killed at the shelters.

http://www.adoptachowla.com/
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

I found Pooh Bear's picture on petfinders.com She happened to be at my county's humane society. So give that a look-see. Always lots of chows to be found on that site.

http://www.petfinders.com
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Joseph... this was PB's picture on petfinders. It's also how she looked like when I went to visit her.

This is how my little girl looks now. (Sorry, I know I posted this picture of her already, but I just thik she's so pretty!)

Trust your heart!
SusanScales
Rank 0
Rank 0

Finding your chow

Post by SusanScales »

I actually found my first chow from a link on this website but you could look on Petfinder if there are no chows in need in your area. Always look at your local kill shelter. I saved my second chow on D day. I can't imagine someone putting her down. Good luck
Jake

Bear is the best

Post by Jake »

Should you get a Chow? I have had Bear for three years and she is the best dog I have ever owned. She's smart and VERY loving. She is also independent and likes her own space. She absolutly wont fetch or swim either. If you are looking for a dog to play with alot I would say no don't get a chow. But if you want a friend that wants to be treated like a person and not a dog then by all means get a chow. Mine is well behaved, an excellent guarddog, and very gentle with me and my other dog. Did I mention that she is very smart? I love Bear and will own a chow for the rest of my life.