Slobber

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Slobber

Post by OZZY13849 »

=P~ Just wondering if any other chow owners have a problem with chlober? :lol: Previously I have owned two female chows and currently we have our boy Ozzy. I Have never seen a chow slober so bad. He will drool so bad that the fur under his chin and on his chest will be soaked all the time. I love to scatch his chin and pat his chest but it is really gross! I dont know if it has anything to do with his rapid breathing. Ozzy has always had very rapid breathing which I thought maybe the girls did too and I just never noticed. Does anyone else think this is abnormal for him? Should I be concerned with either issue? Thanks for any input much appreciated :D
Last edited by OZZY13849 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Slober

Post by Layla »

Meet Alf before I bought 6 watering hole bowls....

The pic in my signature is after :D
Thank you Elodie!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

LOL!

Layla, that's too funny!

Chutney's father's nick-name was "Yucky"!

Need I say more?
Mia
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Chloe is a messy drinker...see Alf's before picture :shock: but it is water mess not drooling. If it is drool and not from drinking I would have it checked out.
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

Sounds like he has overproductive salivary glands, I would have him checked out with the vet, Slobber dog, but love him.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

There are archived posts on various causes of excessive drooling. Use keyword 'Ptyalism'
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OZZY13849 »

thanks so much for the advice....I looked up pytalism...and now Im worried I made a vet appt for Ozzy on monday to get looked at...Im really worried about my baby!
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Good luck at the vets. I hope Ozzy is o.k.!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OZZY13849 »

Okay my husband thinks Im crazy.....He doesnt believe anything is wrong with Ozzy...He believes it is just too hot in our house for the poor guy and all his fluff....we keep it on about 73 in the winter ...last night i turned the thermostat down to 70 and this morning it read 69 and Ozzy was slober free...maybe Im overreacting and he is just too hot...I hate to spend money at the vet if that is the issue ....but I would rather take him just in case there is something wrong. I told my husband what I read about... it could be his gums or his teeth causing problems he thinks because Ozzy is only 7 months that his teeth should not be the issue....we tried to look in his mouth as best we could and things look good ...but I dont know what I should be looking for. Im going to watch the slober flow this weekend it is supposed to be 65 all weekend the first chance we've had to open windows and doors :D
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

73 all winter? My hubby wants to know if he can move in with you and Ozzy wants to come live with me! :lol:
I don't know what to tell you...hubbys always think we're crazy but even when my two get hot...which they are always hot... they don't drool. You're sure it's drool and not water?
Hopefully someone else can help you.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

OZZY13849 wrote:...last night i turned the thermostat down to 70 and this morning it read 69 and Ozzy was slober free...maybe Im overreacting and he is just too hot...I hate to spend money at the vet if that is the issue ....but I would rather take him just in case there is something wrong....
If he's generally a mouth-breather, there could be more saliva drool as a result. If he's heavily drooling and panting at 73 dry-degrees, I would want to know if there were any breathing apparatus problems, such as stenotic nares, etc., before the really hot weather arrived.

I just suggested that you might consider looking at the various causes of ptyalism, not pushing you to see the vet.

All best wishes...
mrstu
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Slobber

Post by mrstu »

Now this is my topic... we have taken slobber to a new level in our house... we have our little Sophia who can slober with the best of them but add in the goofey newfie and you really have slobber. In fact, Sophia makes it her job to clean the slobber hanging from the goofey newfie's face. My furniture is covered with slobber as am I when I get ready to leave to go to a business meeting. In fact I am so covered with slobber when I leave that I have thought about slipping on my business suits in the garage when I leave the house but then I thought what if the garage opened and I am there in my underwear, not a good sight for anyone. My dry cleaner trys to get the slobber out of my pants which incidentally cost more than $100 each and on some of them it is there permanently. I always have a good bit of dried slobber right on the back end of me that often times I do not know about until I take my pants off when I get home.

We do not have any of the special watering bowls but I am thinking of getting a couple. Yesterday, my husband came home and filled the girl's bowl (they both drink out of the same bowl) and he put ice cubes in the bowl, he does that sometimes. Well yesterday it was like they were were bobbing for apples but actually bobbing for ice cubes and we had quite the wet mess.

The good news is that dried slobber will usually wipe off the furniture and I can usually get it off the walls too. Any one have any ideas on how to keep the rugs clean when the babies go outside when it is raining -- I have eight dirty paws when they come in and since they are in full play mode when cold or wet, catching them to clean their paws is a cardio work out. I used to love my brand new house that had brand new everything, now I am just glad that I can look at a wall and not see any dirt!!!!
Patti, Mrs. Tu, Kirby, Sophia and Maggie's mommy

Another beautiful banner courtesy of Sweetpea...
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Chows slobbering has given me a good laugh thank you Mrs.T. now as you all know I have two pot bellie pigs, and boy can they slobber, it seems to fly every where when I am getting their food ready, thick white slobber all over my legs, arms and everywhere, at least my two chow girls dont slobber, quite dry all the time, but as for the pigs, well I have to bath after seeing to them, wet sticky slobber but then its all part of a pigs life.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

73???? The only time our house sees 73 is when the A/C is on. It's usually 65-68 in our house in the winter and Nanook still pants sometimes. Not sure if this would help or not but Nanook has his own personal fan (yes he is spoiled) It is on almost 24/7 8 months of the year. When we travel for the day or overnight it goes w/ us, it's like his blanky. It keeps him comfortable and happy which means we are happy. Good Luck
The chowkidz
Nanook & Keyko...and in loving memory of our little princess, Jade
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Patti when it rains here my two get quick potty breaks and no outside playtime till it drys up a bit. They have destroyed part of my backyard already so they will come in filthy. I have a mat at the the door and on rainy days I stretch out an old towel or sheet to catch the paws and attempt to let them in one at a time to wipe their paws. I have also found that if you let the muddy prints dry (I have carpet in that room) then they vacuum up. Chloe came in this weekend (i had gotten distracted and forgot they were out) soaked and dirty and proceeded to shake right in front of my entertainment center so I had little muddy drops ALL OVER IT! No newfie slobber here though...hehe!
mikkabear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mikkabear »

73? That's too hot, I think. We rarely turn on the heat - it is often 59 or 58 in the am when we get up.
Carolyn, I think you should post a picture of your pigs. I'll bet they're cute. Do your dogs befriend them?
Paulette
Natasha
and
Cue
Mally
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mally »

Oh Lychee is the Slobber Queen! Her saliva sometimes covers half the kitchen floor!!! And it goes on her bib and it starts smelling!!!Oh ...you just have to learn to live with slobber :? Also I use baby wipes on her mouth and bib to stop it from smelling....the worst thing is that I'll take the wipes when I go visit someone with Lychee and they think that I'm crazy and should start having kids :roll: - baby wipes are good!

I also want to see your pigs Carolyn :P
OZZY13849
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OZZY13849 »

I cancelled Ozzy's vet appt ...we watched him over the weekend and had our heat turned off...it was nice enough to leave the doors and windows open...he stayed pretty dry...I do think that it is too hot for him...and his problem is a mixture of his water and drool...thanks for the input from everybody...I think Im gonna get Ozzy his very own fan :D I also wanna know about these special watering dishes and how they work.
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

OZZY13849 wrote:I cancelled Ozzy's vet appt ...we watched him over the weekend and had our heat turned off...it was nice enough to leave the doors and windows open...he stayed pretty dry...I do think that it is too hot for him...and his problem is a mixture of his water and drool...thanks for the input from everybody...I think Im gonna get Ozzy his very own fan :D I also wanna know about these special watering dishes and how they work.
They are called watering holes. They have a ring that fits over the edges of the water bowl with a hole in it big enough for the dog to drink out of but not big enough for them to get their beard, ears etc in.

Go here

http://www.needsndesires.com/usastore/u ... uckets.php

Thanks so much Sweetpea, you're a star!
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

We use the buddy bowl, but it is a real pain in the @&& to open..... :evil: if John is not home to open it for me i have to use a butter knife to pop it open.

Are the watering holes easy to open? /:)
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

I have a watering hole bowl but it's so small I had to fill it 50 times a day for my two so I put it in the car for park trips or wherever and just deal with drippy Chloe. :roll:
Is the buddy bowl bigger?
chowkidz
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chowkidz »

we have two; one upstairs and one for downstairs or outside. We probably fill them maybe 3 - 5 times a day mainly so the boy can reach with his stumpy nose. There is always water in them they just cant reach it.
The chowkidz
ImageImageImage
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Looks like the buddy bowl holds 1/2 gal.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... _43isbfi_e
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

Laura wrote:I have a watering hole bowl but it's so small I had to fill it 50 times a day for my two so I put it in the car for park trips or wherever and just deal with drippy Chloe. :roll:
Is the buddy bowl bigger?
Yes, that is the problem they are small. I don't know what a buddy bowl is. We just use Wilbur's watering hole for when we go visiting or in the car and put up with the wet beard the rest of the time :lol:

Rowlee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rowlee »

chowkidz wrote:we have two; one upstairs and one for downstairs or outside. We probably fill them maybe 3 - 5 times a day mainly so the boy can reach with his stumpy nose. There is always water in them they just cant reach it.
Ohhhh poor Nanook. I don't think he has a stumpy nose, I think he has a beautiful chow nose :lol: