So annoyed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

So annoyed

Post by KathrynH »

I started my new job yesterday, and today I met another person who works in the dept once a week. I just got my pictures up at my desk (Including a family portrait w/ my little bu). I come back and he says, "So...how long have you owned a Chow", and I told him how old he was and this guy proceeded to insist that Chows are untrainable and untrustworthy, and it was ok we had one because we didn't have children :evil: I told him that was stupid , and that kids can be the most obnoxious people in the world, but usually it was the parents fault for not raising them right, and that the same goes with a Chow, if you socialize it, etc, they are very good dogs. He was talking like I would have to get rid of him when we decided to have kids, etc...it just annoyed me, luckily I only have to work w/ him once a week :roll: Gosh...it's like going up to a parent (w/out ever meeting their kid) and telling them their kids is obnoxious and that they are bad parents LOL
Then two days before that I was talking to our new neighbor, they just got a lab, and I asked him how he like having a puppy around, and he said, "well, we were lucky, we got a good tempered Lab" which was said in a way that obviously implied that he thought Chow's were so bad natured...I haven't heard one bad thing about Chows (to my face) since we got Buddha...then this week happens...people are so stupid. We had a lab on the other side of us who barked all the time (night and day), and I'm sure this dog will too...Buddha just sits outside and chills...rarely does he bark, and when he does it's because someone or something is not where he is used to them. GRRRR!!! Sorry, just had to vent
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: So annoyed

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

I get this every so often at work, too. Gotta love those "chow experts" :roll:
ImageImageImage
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

LOL People are ignorant. Ignore them, sometimes it isn't worth the effort.

David
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Kathryn,

It's unfortunate that people like this force their ignorance upon others. :wink:
More great chow mom's like you are needed to help educate the ignorant people. :D
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Report him to personal for Chow harassment, its causing you emotional stress. There is always one dufuss around that thinks he knows it all, he just covering for something else thats lacking in his life. His wife is probably a nag so the only place he can pull his stupity is around the woman he works with.

Find an artical on the net about a lab killing someone which won't be hard to find then frame it and put it next t yoir Chows picture that will shut him up
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

It's all good, We know the truth. People like that man are not smart enough to own and appreciate a chow :D
SweetPea Rocks!!
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Laura »

Sigh...it's something we all have to put up with. I am so tired of explaining why my Chow isn't eating the person I'm talking to because you know when they were a kid or their cousin bob or whoever had a chow it try to eat them! I swear one day I am going to be in a 'mood' and just yell ' Shug Attack' or say 'yeah you're right he tried to dis-embowel me last week...want to see the stitches?' Rude people!
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

There are some people that you know should never have a chow or be any where around them so When I hear stuff like that I agree with them I don't try to change their minds or argue with them, They are usally a dog is a dog type people so I don't want them getting a Chow.
“...There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must take it because conscience tells one that it is right.” MLK

ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

When my co-worker found out that we got Shiloh (she's a "reverse" rescue - found us), he insisted that we did not want a Chow! That the best thing to do was adopt her out to someone like a stay at home Mom. He told me to look into Chow rescues to take her off my hands, etc. Today, after seeing how we have taken care of Shiloh and Mr. N - he has a different attitude. As a matter of fact, on occasion I have been able to educate him more about Chow Chows. I think I have bee successful in altering his ignorant attitude.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Brandy's mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brandy's mom »

I have been so lucky that I never even knew that this attitude about chows existed before I moved to Savannah and saw chows listed on the restricted lists of so many apartment complexes! And now I've had two people act very hesitant around Brandy and ask is she vicious? Nooooo, she's not - she LOOOOVES people! My neighbor, who is in her 70's, told me she is not a dog person, but she likes Brandy so much she went to the grocery store and asked the clerk what kind of treats dogs like so she could have some for her!

That guy at work and people like him are just Twits. They don't deserve to even know how wonderful chows are, so just let them go on thinking that they're vicious!
Cecelia

"To love what you do and feel that it matters - how could anything be more fun?" Katherine Graham
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

There are a lot of ignorant people in the world and you were lucky not to run into them until lately. I always hear how chows are mean. For people who I don't care to educate: my usual line is "Don't mess with me then, they are devoted to me and eat anyone who does. (Eating the victims destroys the evidence)."

If I want to educate them, I will say: "You should meet mine; they are rather friendly to people I like. It's all in how you treat them. You can teach a chow or a child to be mean or kind, it's the parent's actions that determine it."
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Don't worry about the guy at work. You said it was your 1st day, he probably came to see how you would react if he was teasing you.:roll:
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I had someone at work say to me, when he saw all my pictures of MIa & Chutney, "You know when I was little, there was a mean old chow down the street that was vicious and bit people."

(If I could count the times people have told me that - etiher everyone in the world lived in the same neighborhood, or there was a chow for every block back then. And they were all big, bad, BLACK chows. Just like Mia. LOL!)

So, I told him that "yes", my chows were vicious.

In fact, I had to throw raw meat at them to keep them from "chowing" on people as they had already snacked on a couple of kids in the neighborhood and the parents were starting to get miffed

Ha!

I guess I told him.
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

This is so funny: Last summer I was walking Butters at a different park. He is sniffing, minding to his business. 2 guys were sitting on a bench as we walked by (mind you we were about 15 feet from them) And one guy says in a very loud voice, Chows are the meanest dogs on the planet they shouldn't be allowed. So of course that got under my skin. So I turned and walked up to the bench and sat down next to with with Butters!!!. He looked like a deer in the headlights. He froze, he wouldn't move or say a word. I was loving it. Of course Butters ignored him like he does everybody else. Finally he mustered up the courage to walk away and the other guy sitting on the bench looked at me and said "Good Move, I couldn't believe he was saying that"
SweetPea Rocks!!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

KathrynH wrote:Then two days before that I was talking to our new neighbor, they just got a lab, and I asked him how he like having a puppy around, and he said, "well, we were lucky, we got a good tempered Lab" which was said in a way that obviously implied that he thought Chow's were so bad natured...I haven't heard one bad thing about Chows (to my face) since we got Buddha...then this week happens...people are so stupid. We had a lab on the other side of us who barked all the time (night and day), and I'm sure this dog will too...Buddha just sits outside and chills...rarely does he bark, and when he does it's because someone or something is not where he is used to them. GRRRR!!! Sorry, just had to vent
Your neighbor may not have been comparing the Buddha's temperment with his Lab's. Lab's have been very popular for years so popular that they are exhibiting some of the common problems to over breeding by people who are less than expert and some of them are truly, dangerously aggressive. They have neuorological anomalies that cause them to become basically psyhcotic. A co-worker of mine had one, he was a wonderful puppy, but they had to put him down at 9 months because of increasing incidents...he'd be fine and then for absolutely no reason he would turn and attack who ever was near, it started with food and treats and escalated to no reason at all... two trainers and a very good vet said the problem was the wiring in his brain.

This is what happened to Chows years and years ago when they were very popular, which is why many of us here, love seeing the chows in the shows, but we're really happy when they don't progress past the non-working competition.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

I agree with Victory. Millie's puppy school trainer said something very similar to me when she was a puppy. Alf, attacked by off leash labs as a puppy, agrees!
Thank you Elodie!
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by carolyn dewrance »

I would have told him to go to the Zoo and feed himself to the Chows there, he most probly does not know the difference between a bear and a Chow, Oh stuff him, he is stupid and needs to be educated, send him to me. I do my best to get him to love chows.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Y'all crack me up w/ your stories of how you handle stuff like that so brilliantly LOL I'm going to have to start taking a more humorous approach to the whole thing. Actually, I was trying to tell him about how I've seen more lab attack stories in the news and everywhere than anything, and tell him about the breeding issues, but of course this guy knows it all and has no interest in anyone else's take on things :roll: I'm talking about the guy at work, not my neighbor...I don't have the heart to tell my neighbor about the lab attacks, his little girls just love that puppy.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Victory wrote:
KathrynH wrote:Then two days before that I was talking to our new neighbor, they just got a lab, and I asked him how he like having a puppy around, and he said, "well, we were lucky, we got a good tempered Lab" which was said in a way that obviously implied that he thought Chow's were so bad natured...I haven't heard one bad thing about Chows (to my face) since we got Buddha...then this week happens...people are so stupid. We had a lab on the other side of us who barked all the time (night and day), and I'm sure this dog will too...Buddha just sits outside and chills...rarely does he bark, and when he does it's because someone or something is not where he is used to them. GRRRR!!! Sorry, just had to vent
Your neighbor may not have been comparing the Buddha's temperment with his Lab's. Lab's have been very popular for years so popular that they are exhibiting some of the common problems to over breeding by people who are less than expert and some of them are truly, dangerously aggressive. They have neuorological anomalies that cause them to become basically psyhcotic. A co-worker of mine had one, he was a wonderful puppy, but they had to put him down at 9 months because of increasing incidents...he'd be fine and then for absolutely no reason he would turn and attack who ever was near, it started with food and treats and escalated to no reason at all... two trainers and a very good vet said the problem was the wiring in his brain.

This is what happened to Chows years and years ago when they were very popular, which is why many of us here, love seeing the chows in the shows, but we're really happy when they don't progress past the non-working competition.
Oh My! That's probably why the chocolate lab attacked Henry last week. We are lucky here in Red Deer, most people we come across have never even heard of a Chow let alone seen one - especially not a black one (aren't they usuallu orange :roll: ). So people just want to come and pet the fuzball and marvel at the fact that the tongue is purple. Luckily Henry wants to meet the other people as much as they want to meet him. I took him into work the other day, now everyone wants one! The dogs that have a problem with Henry are always labs and Bichons Shitzu's don't like him much either. Henry does have a girlfriend who is a GS called Kelti and she often has a buddy called Kramer to stay, Kramer is a lab and as soon as he see's Henry he pulls his 'Ugly face' - they then ignore each other.
Thank you Sweatpea
bevgo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bevgo »

I have seen and admired chows from afar for many years. I didn't know anyone that had one so knew nothing about them. When I was getting ready to get CC, my chow mix puppy I told my mom about her and she mentioned that chows had a rep for being mean. That is how I found ya'll. I have never belived that some breeds (pit, rottie) were naturally mean just trained that way so I started researching chows online to be sure that I was not getting into anything I could not handle. I have 2 grandsons age 4 and 1 and would NEVER want to put them in any danger. After reading the comments on this board I decided I could socialize little CC and make sure she was raised right. As a result I have this sweet puppy that is soooo adorable and have enjoyed her so much. I have had her over a month now and she is so friendly to everyone she meets. I know she is just a puppy but as long as I don't isolate her I feel she will continue to be social so am NOT worried. Of course I am trying to teach her not to jump on and mouth me and the kids. I have a ton of scratches on my arms, hands, feet and legs from her claws and teeth but she seems to be improving some. I was initially told at the shelter that the puppies were chows and only later found they were a mix. I hope the rest of the pups got adopted and not killed due to people thinking they are chows and mean. I am afraid after all I have heard since I first considered getting her that this did not prevent the other puppies from finding wonderful forever homes.
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

When I got my first Chow, my mother was VERY upset. My aunt had 1/3 her face removed by a chow. Gramps had to hire
plastic surgeons from out of town to reconstruct her to match both sides of her face. He lived next door to them and was not
socialized or anything, and he was probably trained to be more of a guard dog than a house pet.
Once she saw our puppy, they became fast freinds. Later on, a few years after Teddie died, my mom even helped me
to find Jasmine. She was even going to ride to SC with us to the rescue to get her.
Jasmine has chased grown men out of our fenced yard by just trotting majesticly toward them with a little 'who are you' under
her breath. One worker jumped the fence chanting 'chow, they gotta chow, they gotta chow' I thought that was great. I was proud
of her. Did i mention that she did not eat them up? Yep not a bite, no missing toes, not lost limbs or anything.

You know if there a breed that needs to go its them teacup things. I mean you go to the mall, you steal some old ladys handbag, get down around the corner, open it up, NO money! Just this little tiny dog and a tazer, and a remote thing that tells you were you parked.
Gesh! How many times had a thief ran into opening up a bag to find a dog hiding in it???
max5105
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by max5105 »

Hi, I just had top mention that our chow mis Misiu was with me and the kids when a man came up to us and said "I hope that's not a Chow, because when they they turn to be around 2 years old they will bite you and try to kill your kids. I know because I am a policeman." Fortunately, my kids thought he was a jerk. I, on the other hand, was upset that he had so little tact.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Missystone wrote: You know if there a breed that needs to go its them teacup things. I mean you go to the mall, you steal some old ladys handbag, get down around the corner, open it up, NO money! Just this little tiny dog and a tazer, and a remote thing that tells you were you parked.
Gesh! How many times had a thief ran into opening up a bag to find a dog hiding in it???
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you SweetPea!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

max5105 wrote:Hi, I just had top mention that our chow mis Misiu was with me and the kids when a man came up to us and said "I hope that's not a Chow, because when they they turn to be around 2 years old they will bite you and try to kill your kids. I know because I am a policeman." Fortunately, my kids thought he was a jerk. I, on the other hand, was upset that he had so little tact.
You know I like cops I really do, I think they do a job most other people wouldn't want. But I fail to see how being a police officer makes you a canine expert. Do they now have special classes at police academies on how to recognize dangerous breeds and such....I think not.
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Just tell them all to take a hike - stupid buggers. :shock:
I remember once a couple of years ago when we were out for a walk with M & M in the park, a mother was walking towards us with her little brat and a brat it looked. It had a snotty nose, slobbery mouth and its nappy was hanging down to its knees - full of heaven knows what! :shock:
It had its finger up its nose and a bar of chocolate in its other hand and went to come towards Milly. Its mother pulled it away (thank goodness) and said "No! don't touch the dog!" then pulled a face at my precious girl and could not resist pulling Milly well away and saying, "No, please don't let it touch my dog - she is particular!" (or words to that effect) - cannot remember now.
Silly Moo - she should have taken a second good look at the state of her brat. :P
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)