Breeder recommendations

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

MNkate
Rank 0
Rank 0

Breeder recommendations

Postby MNkate » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:00 pm

Hello! I've never owned a chow chow so I'm new to this. I'm looking for recommendations for breeders, preferably in the Midwest. I live in MN but am willing to drive 8 -10 hours. I have researched D&M farms and heard they are good, however it sounds like there chows are really big (80lbs!). That might be too big for my husband and I. I've come across Heavenly Chows in Missouri...has anyone purchased a chow chow from there? Any other recommendations? Thank you in advance!

vikki0314
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Breeder recommendations

Postby vikki0314 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:23 pm

I also want some recommendations. I found a breeder on AKC Marketplace and is wondering if he is legit. The breeder name is Jay Egger, and his chows are AKC registered, and their pups are AKC registrable. However, he does not have a website nor a social group page. His price is relatively lower than average AKC chow breeders. The photos he sent me seem legit. Also, he does not take PayPal or any bank transfer, but he only takes personal check or money gram. Does anybody have experience with Jay? Please let me know, thanks!

loxton21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby loxton21 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 am

I would just do cash when you get the dog or cheque when you get the dog. I’m skeptical about sending money, I always like to see the dog or parents before hand. But I am unsure about the website if it is legit or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby 612guy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:24 pm

I live in the Minnesota and there aren't many people that breed chows in our state. And that is also true in the Midwest. After getting Brutus in 2011, a big part of the reason I started showing was to meet Chow breeders and their chows in person. That was because it was hard to find a chow puppy back then. I think it's even harder now.

Finding a chow that I want usually is different what someone else wants. Sure price can be a big part of it but you get what you pay for. Chows that are showed and/or heath tested are going to cost more. I can tell you that these breeders care a really lot who gets their pups. They usually have a waiting list or very hard for a stranger to get one. They consider themselves the caretakers of the breed. I know this because I'm a member of Chow Chow Inc, and a local dog show club in Minneapolis, Mn.

So if anyone wants a suggestion on a breeder please be more specific and be prepare to do more just post on a forum once.

RobertR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby RobertR » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 am

I just saw this posting, and I made almost the same request (I live in MN). I don't have a problem doing leg work, research or time to visit the breeders. So where do you recommend I start looking?

612guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Postby 612guy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Well the first thing you have to learn is how to approach any breeder. Price should be about the last thing brought up, only until you think they have a puppy you really like. You can probably guess how much they will be depending if the show and how well they have done. Plus if they test for health problems and how long they have been breeding chows. Breeders want you to ask about their chows and convince them you are a good fit. Most breeder, their chows are their passion and not just a thing they do on the side.

To find a breeder, the internet is a good start. Most chow breeders use their facebook page to show them off. Usually they are open to anyone to see. You can see their type of chows and how proud they are of them. A lot of time, if they have a new litter of pups they will show them too.

Find breeder on puppyfinder.com and others like that is ok to start but you are better do way more research. You can also ask people that have a chow that you like and ask them where did they got their. Ask them to use them as a reference to get closer to their breeder. Our Brutus came from Muddy Creek Chows who is best friends with Charmar Chows. Both have a facebook page. They live in Michigan. Spartacus and Bee came from Mi-Pao's Chows and have a web page. They live in Waterdown Canada.

In person is always the best, either at a show or at their house. But at shows you may see more types, especially the ones with more chows entered.

Hope this may help, but take your time because puppy live a long time.

idealchoose
Rank 0
Rank 0

Postby idealchoose » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:32 pm

You can choose any of these following dog breeds as I collect information from my neighbors.First.Mixed Breeds- mixed-breeds are believed to have less genetically inherited health problems than purebreds.Second, Labrador Retrievers- they are devoted and obedient and have even temperaments that make them good with both children and other animals.Third, Pembroke Welsh Corgis- corgis have a cult-like following mainly due to their playful and sweet personalities.
If you find any problem with pet hair and find any vacuum cleaner, you may visit this websitehttps://idealchoose.com/

Return to “General Discussions”